Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 01:11:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691337
  • Total Topics: 118387
  • Online Today: 628
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Indian Mutiny Rules???  (Read 8264 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Indian Mutiny Rules???
« on: April 15, 2015, 10:30:30 PM »
Hi,

With all the well deserved hype over the new Iron Duke Miniatures Indian Mutiny range I'm now on the look out for a regimental set that would allow for skirmishers to be thrown forward (literally in game terms).

Does anyone know of a set?

It would be a real shame to waste all those Enfield armes Flank Coys (in the early part of the Mutiny)!!!

Darrell.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 07:08:22 AM by Atheling »

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Indian Mutiny Rules???
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 10:58:43 PM »
Atheling,the Sepoy rules,available from Caliver I believe ,may be a possibility.
Under the section for Skirmishing it says "occasionally European trays(made up of six figs)may wish to put out a skirmish screen,or even attack in skirmish order"
These rules were originally designed for the Havelock campaign and contains four scenarios to fight covering the relief of Cawnpore.
They also contain suggested composition for the relief force and mutineers for each of the battles and a rudimentary sketch map of the battlefields.
I've been waiting years for a ruleset for the Mutiny but nothing seems to fit the bill,here's hoping someone will point us in the right direction.  :)

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 12:27:41 AM »
"The Devil's Wind" by David Bickley is supposed to be pretty good, it looks it if his own games are anything to go by. It often appears on e bay at good prices as well.
Hope that helps.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline mdomino

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 03:06:41 AM »
Greetings. Sepoy does allow deployment of skirmishers. John Company has extensive rules for breakout of skirmishers. It looks like from the AARs, Victorian Steel allows a company to break down into skirmishers. Principles of War and Fields of Honor allow skirmished units, but I think your entire maneuver unit would be in skirmish order. That's all I can think of right now. Thanks for answering the other question about Victorian Steel. I assume you've played it? What did you think?
Mike D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 06:23:38 AM »
Atheling,the Sepoy rules,available from Caliver I believe ,may be a possibility.
Under the section for Skirmishing it says "occasionally European trays(made up of six figs)may wish to put out a skirmish screen,or even attack in skirmish order"
These rules were originally designed for the Havelock campaign and contains four scenarios to fight covering the relief of Cawnpore.

That sounds promisising. If they were designed for the Havelock Campaign they may well contain the correct rules mechanisms(?)..... got to be worth a look surely? I may well ask Caliver to bring a copy to Salute. [Makes note to self].

How much book keeping is involved? Can I use casualty markers as I hate putting chits etc on the table? (ruins the look of the game)?

They also contain suggested composition for the relief force and mutineers for each of the battles and a rudimentary sketch map of the battlefields.
I've been waiting years for a ruleset for the Mutiny but nothing seems to fit the bill,here's hoping someone will point us in the right direction.  :)

Now that would come in handy as it would save me sifting through the John French book, but seeing as Colonel Mike Snook is posting quite a lot of info about the forces involved (and perhaps more up to date too?), then maybe I can just follow his advice.

Greetings. Sepoy does allow deployment of skirmishers. John Company has extensive rules for breakout of skirmishers. It looks like from the AARs, Victorian Steel allows a company to break down into skirmishers. Principles of War and Fields of Honor

Good to hear that both Sepoy and John Company allow for the deployment of skirmishers. I might get a copy of both. Where's John Company available from?

allow skirmished units, but I think your entire maneuver unit would be in skirmish order. That's all I can think of right now. Thanks for answering the other question about Victorian Steel.

No problem.

I assume you've played it? What did you think?

Ah, on this occasion your assumption would be wrong! I have watched a game that lasted for a couple of hourse put on by the authors at the Durham Wargames Club Open Day and the rules seemed to run very smoothly, though I don't remember skirmishers being pushed out- maybe it was the scenario? Or I just missed it?

Darrell.

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 07:53:05 AM »
Atheling,Sepoy suggests figs are mounted individually and be  6 foot,3 cavalry figs,one gun and 4 crew to a tray.Movement,combat and morale is all expressed in terms of trays.When shooting and fighting(known as fisticuffs in the rules) the number of figs on each tray is used.Can't see why markers or counters couldn't be used if figs are based in multiples.Oh and the book contains some rules to use Flashman in games in the optional rules section along with sunstroke and rockets.The battle scenarios are Fatehpur,Aong,Pandu Nadi and Maharajpur.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 11:49:58 AM »
Atheling,Sepoy suggests figs are mounted individually and be  6 foot,3 cavalry figs,one gun and 4 crew to a tray.Movement,combat and morale is all expressed in terms of trays.When shooting and fighting(known as fisticuffs in the rules) the number of figs on each tray is used.Can't see why markers or counters couldn't be used if figs are based in multiples.Oh and the book contains some rules to use Flashman in games in the optional rules section along with sunstroke and rockets.The battle scenarios are Fatehpur,Aong,Pandu Nadi and Maharajpur.

I'll try to get a copy at Salute. Multi basing is a bit of a must for me so I'll be going with the casualty markers idea.....

Thanks,
Darrell.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 10:34:52 PM »
Where's John Company available from?

The Virtual Armchair General in the US :

http://www.thevirtualarmchairgeneral.com/079-rules.html#John%20Company

Dunno if they have a U.K stockist.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 05:51:18 AM »
The Virtual Armchair General in the US :

http://www.thevirtualarmchairgeneral.com/079-rules.html#John%20Company

Dunno if they have a U.K stockist.

Thanks Arthur (again!).

I think Nick from NS used to sell them. I'll ask him first and see if he can do anything. Otherwise I'll order direct from the US.

Darrell.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 10:07:35 AM »
John Company is a great set.
I had reservations about the artillery basing, but just ignored it (I like diorama artillery bases) and it worked fine.
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 10:21:08 AM »
John Company is a great set.
I had reservations about the artillery basing, but just ignored it (I like diorama artillery bases) and it worked fine.

You're very much like me then Keith. As long as I can base the mini's on multi-bases that sounds like the set for me. Individual bases just lack the dialogue that vignette style bases create and make  for dull looking units IMHO.

Darrell.

Offline mdomino

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 02:20:54 PM »
In John Company, troops are individually based. They were (are) working on a modification which applies to their MAW 1846 rules that allows you to do some multibasing. It might also apply to John Company.
Mike D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 02:27:27 PM »
In John Company, troops are individually based. They were (are) working on a modification which applies to their MAW 1846 rules that allows you to do some multibasing. It might also apply to John Company.
Mike D

Thanks Mike.

I think the thing for me to do is to get in touch with them  :).

Talking of which, does anyone have the Armchair General's actual e-mail address as when I'm clicking on the "E-mail the General" button nothing is coming up? (Please?)

Darrell.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 02:30:46 PM by Atheling »

Offline mdomino

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 09:14:28 PM »
I believe it's TVAG@att.net
I haven't talked to him in some time though.
Mike D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 07:16:56 AM »
I believe it's TVAG@att.net
I haven't talked to him in some time though.
Mike D

That's great Mike- very good of you take the time to provide me with it  8)

Darrell.