Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:35:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690937
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wargames foundry/othe colonial ranges 28mm comparison question  (Read 14396 times)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
Having gotten btten by the colonial bug and seeing that two new rulesets (Congo! and tmhwbk)just around the corner i've gotten the urge to start collecting.

My main choices for what I want seem to be either from foundry or Empress, so wondering how do the colonial ranges scale?

I know the darkest Africa range is bigger than some of the older ranges but which is which?

So what i'm asking is which of the colonial foundry ranges would be compatible with the empress paul hicks sculpts and darkest Africa ?range

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Wargames foundry/othe colonial ranges 28mm comparison question
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 05:01:03 PM »
The older perry colonial are smaller e.g. boer war, afghans etc the darkest africa is larger.

So if doing darkest africa stick with later style foundry sculpts and also take a look at copplestones own range. I would also have a butchers at northstar who appear similar to copplestone.

To add confusion I think the foundry highlander from memory and their indian infantry may be slightly larger. No expert mind you as got rid of my figures many moons ago

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 05:07:10 PM »
''So if doing darkest africa stick with later style foundry sculpts and also take a look at copplestones own range.''

But which are which? I know the older ranges are closer to 25mm but which are, plus old west has old and new sculpts that differ a good bit.

From what I can see from other comparison threads the cobblestones own stuff is noticeably bigger than his Darkest Africa stuff.

At this point i'm heading towards Darkest Africa/Empress (as they seem tp be  comparably scaled) and perhaps some north star for the boers minis for armed settlers. I see on studio Tomahawks site, they mix DA and the foundry franco-prussian range so I'm assuming they might be viable for French explorers.

A shame as i'd been hoping to use some of the perry foundry stuff but it seems to be closer to 25mm.

Anyone else able to wade in?

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 05:36:55 PM »
I recently completed my 28mm Darkest Africa collection.  Foundry's Darkest Africa figures are what initially drew me to the project.  They are wonderful figures, but my collection also includes figures from Old Glory 25s, West Wind, Brigade Games, Copplestone Castings, Hinterland, Reaper, and Pulp Figures.  To the right of the gallery pictures is a write up of what I did and what is included in the gallery.  I'm very happy with the way all the pieces worked together, but you can judge for yourself by looking at my Darkest Africa Gallery at www.warin15mm.com/28MM-African-Adventure-Gallery.html

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 10:06:29 PM »
Kommando,

The Wargames Foundry colonials include a number of distinct ranges, some of which are a bit larger, others a bit smaller.

The "DARKEST AFRICA" is larger.  As you know it was sculpted by Mark Copplestone before he left to start his own company.  In my experience, the size of his Wargames Foundry figures and his own Copplestone Castings figures is very close, and I have intermingled them without hesitation.

Other Wargames Foundry colonial ranges include INDIAN MUTINY, ZULU WAR, NORTH-WEST FRONTIER, and BOER WAR, as well as SIKH WARS and "CHINA 1839-1900" ranges, all of which were sculpted by the Perrys.  You mentioned the Franco-Prussian War range, and there are also the Crimean War, Maximillian Adventure (French in Mexico), American Civil War and Old West ranges as well, all of which include various useful figures for Victorian Colonial gaming.  In general, all of these ranges are on the small side, with the exception of some of the Old West range sculpted by Mark Copplestone.

Nonetheless I personally use many of the old, smaller Wargames Foundry figures in their own self-contained units alongside units of the larger figures from the Perry Miniatures Sudan range and Empress Zulu War range.

In the end of course it comes down to what will work for you personally.  It used to be that the old Foundry range was the only place to find many troop types, especially in my own niche area of the NWF and Second Afghan War, but that is in the process of changing, thanks to the new Artizan Second Afghan War range, sculpted by Mike Owen.

Here's a not very good pic showing the most dramatically different size comparison I have on hand -- a Perry Miniatures Indian cavalryman beside an old Perry sculpted Wargames Foundry Indian cavalryman...

On the other hand, here's another one showing British officers from Wargames Foundry Darkest Africa, Copplestone Castings, Empress Zulu War, and Perry Miniatures Sudan ranges, all of whom fit pretty well together...

"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 11:18:05 AM »
...and at the risk of stating the obvious...real people come in very many different sizes. I recently saw a photo of a modern German AFV crew - if you'd lined up miniatures with that level of variation folks would have said they were completely incompatible sculpts  lol

I guess it largely comes down to personal taste though - I must admit I don't like too much variation.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 01:26:29 PM »
Thanks for the input so far guys, i'm thinking foundry must be out, while I agree that people come in different sizes it's more the proportions being off bothers me.

Since i'm going for a small skirmish force have separate units of slightly different scales doesn't seem feasible.

So i've pretty much decided DA, Artizan, Paul Hicks and North Star will provide the new recruits for my early 1870's expedition, methinks just avoid foundry otherwise for the mean time, I can't tell which range is old or new but fro what I have seen some of the old stuff is noticably too small.

As an aside what weaponry would an early 1970's expedition have?

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 06:56:18 PM »
The Martini Henry was the standard British firearm between 1871 (when it began to replace the Snider Enfield) and 1889 (though it continued to be used by other Imperial forces, and others, well into the 20th century.)

And definitely don't miss out on the Foundry Darkest Africa range - perfectly compatible with more recent alternatives and their Baluchi mercenaries are still of the nicest and most versatile figures out there.

Offline Buzgob

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 10:38:28 PM »
When you say Foundry is out, but Darkest Africa is in, what exactly do you mean? What is the Darkest Africa you speak of?
Foundry has the largest range of Darkest Africa there is I think. All can be found through this link: http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/darkest-africa
These are compatible with anything Darkest Africa from Copplestone and Perry Sudan. Empress is a tiny bit smaller but very usable.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 11:21:25 PM »
Buzgob,

"Darkest Africa" refers to the Wargames Foundry Darkest Africa range you are talking about, while "Foundry" refers to the many other Wargames Foundry Victorian Colonial ranges which are discussed above.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 01:49:40 AM »
Thanks for clarifying that one Mad Guru.

From what I can tell the darkest Africa range and the 'current' anglo zulu foundry stuff are bigger(the AZ stuff being mostly re-sculpts now).

The older stuff is smaller than the iron duke/mutineer miniatures range, although with some base building up some minis could be used, most cannot as proportions are noticeably small, the perry miniatures stuff works well with the rest just about.

From smallest to largest i'd say, Foundry, Perry, az foundry, DA, Iron Duke then Mutineer.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 04:11:21 AM »
I mixed Sikhs from Foundry NWF in with Darkest Africa, I find it hard to tell them apart unless I'm looking carefully. I have Old Glory, Reviresco, Pulp, Foundry, Northstar, Empress, and a couple others. The only thing that seems overly large compared to others,to me anyway, is Reaper figures. I stayed away from Redoubt as I heard they run big.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Buzgob

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 08:19:31 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up. I was a bit confused  ???
Redoubt are pretty bulky compared to many others.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 06:12:53 PM »
Apologies for ressurecting an old thread but got an email back from wargames foundry with this pic, hope it helps others.

The scale difference isn't too bad, methinks it could be gotten away with the officers but foot troops with tiny rifles might be pushing it visually.

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 09:26:57 AM »
I stayed away from Redoubt as I heard they run big.
Just a tip that maybe could be useful..the Redoubt classic colonial ranges are enormous and you're right to "stay away" from them...BUT..some less publiced pair of ranges from the same manufacture are small and perfectly compatible with the above mentioned Foundry, OG, Empress..they are the Boxer Rebellion and the Boer War ranges.from which useful figures could be find also for Colonial Africa..officers, nice sailors, mounted infantry both on horse and dismounted in shirt sleeves, boer irregulars ecc...i strongly suggest those minis ..not only because they could be choosed and bought singles...