Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:04:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Isaac Bell series by Clive Cussler  (Read 2574 times)

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
Isaac Bell series by Clive Cussler
« on: April 26, 2015, 11:41:23 PM »
Just finished reading "The Spy" and "The Race", a couple of Clive Cussler's Isaac Bell detective series. These are set in the early 20th Century, starting before WW1, and they are very pulpy. The hero, Isaac Bell, is a top investigator for the national, soon to be international, Van Dorn detective agency. He, his partners at the Van Dorn agency, and his allies have to ferret out and deal with major conspiracies involving assassination, sabotage, spying, gang activity, and crime. The villains are formidable, and sometimes are backed by powerful networks of their own. If you're looking for some inspiration for pulp games, this series seems to fit the bill.

Here's a link to the series on Clive Cussler's site:

http://www.clive-cussler-books.com/html/IsaacBell_DetectiveSeries.htm
Sailors have more fun!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Isaac Bell series by Clive Cussler
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 12:38:32 AM »
Oh Clive... I remember reading far too many trashy Dirk Pitt novels in my younger days.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 08:26:21 AM »
Oh Clive... I remember reading far too many trashy Dirk Pitt novels in my younger days.

...and some were really quite enjoyable. Did he write these or was it his "stable"?

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 12:14:16 AM »
...and some were really quite enjoyable. Did he write these or was it his "stable"?

Unfortunately, they're written by his "stable:" a guy named Justin Scott, who's listed as a "co-author." I have read the first five, and the series is enjoyable enough, but the characters are definitely on the one-dimensional side of the spectrum. And yes, they would be fine for a pulp league if you move them and their equipment into the 20s/30s/40s or whatever pulp is to you.

The Bell series actually was the basis for my very first effort at authoring an In Her Majesty's Name company (where I moved them back a couple decades), found here:

http://wrgmr.com/van%20dorn%20detective%20agency.pdf

The descriptions of the characters in my IHMN company PDF are right out of the books, except for some minor details (note the disclaimer at the end).

The only truly recurrent characters are Isaac Bell and his true love Marion Morgan; the rest come and go, and some are simply killed off.

Great idea for pulp, though, warrenbruhn, one that hadn't occurred to me!   :D  Isaac the Leader, Marion the Sidekick, the other named Characters as Allies, the nameless detectives as Followers.....should work well!
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline Capitan Diavolo

• Student
  • Pilot and Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 04:21:12 AM »
Very enjoyable, indeed.

I have all books of the Isaac Bell serie, and really like them.

In fact, Isaac Bell is my favorite character of all Cussler's ones, even more than Dirk Pitt...

I can see great potential for the Isaac Bell character's development, as time will go on for him...
 8)