Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:56:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690903
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Robotech Roleplaying Tactics worth getting?  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Davros

• Librarian
Robotech Roleplaying Tactics worth getting?
« on: May 02, 2015, 07:01:19 PM »
    I have been waiting for a miniatures game of Robotech for a very long time and when Palladium Books announced that they had plans to produce their version of such a game.

I am very interested to wait for the final product, I have been reading and hearing a lot of mixed reviews on the game and I would to get someone else' .02$ here.

David
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 07:17:28 PM by Davros »

Offline Rhelyk

• Librarian
Re: Robotech Roleplaying Tactics worth getting?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 07:56:31 PM »
Depends. If you want robotech minis, at all, for any reason, then pick it up. If you like model kit building, pick it up. If you like simple, fast, easy "roll dice with buddies" games, pick it up. If you like playing with cool mechs and moving them around the table making "swoosh" & "pewpewpew" noises and singing Minmay songs, deffinitely pick it up :P

If you don't enjoy assembling model kits (like, ACTUAL model kits, not miniatures) then avoid it, because each and every single mini is like assembling a small version of the macross 1/200 or 1/100 or 1/72 scale kits that have been out for years. People that don't like building models and just want to play are getting burned out and losing interest long before their army is playable. If you're looking for deep tactical play and tightly written rulesets, avoid the game, the game is designed to be easy and quick and is not particularly deep.

It all comes down to preferance, I didn't pick up the game to ever actually plat because it's too simple for my tastes, but I picked up a lot of the models just to build and maybe use for battletech or homebrew rules because I've been waiting 20+ years to have robotech miniatures, and I just so happen to really enjoy building model kits too, so I have no real complaints about the stuff other than I wish wave 2 would hit soon.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 12:46:49 AM »
Pretty much what he said.  I grabbed up a ton of the KS stuff solely because as any Robotech fan knows - you grab what you can in the U.S.

The minis are...pretty decent, but they're a ton of parts (pretty stupid from a design decision standpoint).

The game (I've only read through it, never played it) doesn't catch me at all.  Nothing special there.  So if you're a big Robotech nut pick some up (some good discounts online in the U.S.) and stash them away until you think of something to do with them.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 11:18:48 AM »
I agree with both of the above comments.

I was gifted the game plus Wave 1 and more to come apparently! And I am in Mecha Heaven!

The rules seem simple to read through as it's the weapon and systems parts that add a little complexity but not much!

If you want loads of Warhammer, Longbows, Rifleman and Archer minis then the Destroids are great BT material and almost exactly in scale with the old BT Minis!

Basically if you love Mecha minis it's a great deal! (Even more when a load of mates buy it for you :D)

Offline harleyface

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 11:41:46 AM »
Hello

Also received the ks.
I think you should look after an unboxing video.
This is one of the games you really have to spend time on or it will only sit on your shelf forever....
It feels for me like when i was a kid building all those modell kits lol
My personal problem is that i would like to paint minis and not build models....
Like the most wargamers i change from time to time to some projects
pulp, cthulhu, weird war, battletech....robotech has no place in this rotation... lol
So i deceided to build some for display and store the rest forever...buying some
macross models would have been the better decision...
If all thats no problem you get a well made game solid rules and some cool mecha action

Greetings

Florian

Cultist#83