Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:12:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690846
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Top sellers / Most played games  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Dalcor

• Librarian
    • Wargaming ASP Club
Top sellers / Most played games
« on: May 18, 2015, 03:47:30 PM »
We have had some discussion on some of the wargaming forum about future of the wargaming and overall changes about approach of the person to the hobby - end evolving after all.

But what we ahve found during very rush discussion (where narrative gamers mets their competitive counterparts) we found out there is know backgrounds for such arguments as

This is The-Most-Played-Game, This-Is-Very-Succesfull-Game etc.

I know that the hobby is brutally splintered thanks to diversity of the genres. But is there any overview, any "poll", any TOP 10 lists.
We can assume something, but for example I will be very interested bout overall sucess of the OWG and incoming Frostgrave games. I understand those are pretty top secret business informations, but what is played worldwide.

In Czech Republic we are very conservative and competetive without that much of "common" community. Also as far as I know thare is not that much of the "clubs". Mostly gamers either play at home or in about 5 BnM shops/gamers hall available.

Anyway nbr one is 40K with WHFB in close behind, they can arrange 100 personnel tournaments. Increasing number of Infinity, FOW and Warmahorders gamers are the second pool, but still about max 30-50 players identifying themselves through community. And then there are "Dystopian...", Drop Zone, Bolt Action. Warzone attract some new players same as new SW products from FFG. (thats about dozens players only, seen on some community discussion boards or actions). Me and my bro we are trying to find out community for OWG games, but it is a long run.

I cant speak about historical wargaming as there is no presentation of them, nor in any actions. I know that there are some SAGA players and I have seen some Napoleonic but overall I have no idea (I also started to explore historical wargaming one month ago, so may be I did not met the right ones).

From Salute reports it seems that In Her Majesty Name, Lion Rampant seems to be very succesfull same as SAGA (and Crescent and Cross)

Of course there will be a lot of people who realy enjoy gaming only with nearest friend and they are not active on internet (or elsewhere than I am active). But seems that the community is not very connected. And Diversity not liked.

So whats the situation elsewhere, what do you think are most played games, or top sellers or at least favourite ones?

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
Re: Top sellers / Most played games
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 10:00:10 PM »
An unscientific observation…
Around Chicago, 40k still seems to be top dog.  In second place, there's a very strong Warmachine/Hordes community that is growing.  Of these two I'm very certain.

X-wing and it's sister games have probably taken off faster than just about any wargame I've seen in recent years and have something of a crossover audience with folks who might not other wise be into wargaming.  I'm not sure how it compares with FoW and Infinity which seem to also be in this third tier of gaming, being games that are not as big as 40k or WM, but are popular enough to often have dedicated nights or groups meeting weekly at local FLGS's.  I think WHFB, might be hanging on in this third tier, but I'm not sure.

Below that, you have games like Dreadball, Bolt Action, Dropzone, Malifaux, Saga, Battletech, etc, etc which all have much smaller communities. Sometimes you'll find weekly groups at FLGS for these kind of games, but often it's less often than that. However, being in a major metropolitan area, it's still possible to find both miniatures-in-stores and opponents for them.

The last tier of games would contain most historical games and more obscure games, including the kind of things that our club plays.  Some of these products can be found in the largest of the Chicago area FLGS's and there are local groups that meet independently that might play them but you're not likely to find weekly or perhaps even monthly meetings at the FLGS for games like Song of Blades and Heroes, Hail Caesar, Black Powder, any of the Osprey rulesets, etc.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
Re: Top sellers / Most played games
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 01:53:20 PM »
Almost solely looking at the Internet presence, plus some visits to a local con (not the biggest one), there is just no competing with the Games Workshop juggernauts here in Finland. Probably Wh40k is much bigger of the two since it's been a while I've seen a WhFB game in person but that could be just a coincidence.

WARMACHINE/Hordes combo looks to be doing fine as well and Infinity is reputedly gaining in popularity. Malifaux appears to be the "weird" game du jour, while Flames of War family appears to be dominant in historicals. But they all are probably way behind GW games in gamer numbers.

Below those, it's random interest in random games so I'm sure nobody really knows what else is in the local top ten.