Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 10:19:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697684
  • Total Topics: 118852
  • Online Today: 648
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Artizan NWF Next Releases?  (Read 29536 times)

Offline Bindonblood

• Librarian
Artizan NWF Next Releases?
« on: May 25, 2015, 03:51:14 PM »
Does anyone know when and what the next releases for this range will be?

Staring at the rather large (and getting larger) pile of lead I have of these, I am hoping that it will be (a) soon and (b) command figures.

I think that more command types is the main missing part at the moment - yes, I know there is no cavalry, but I would like to make up 'complete' units of infantry first. We have loads of kilted highlanders to choose from (possibly too many!) but no kilted officers. Likewise there are no nco's at all and the Afghan regulars are completely leaderless (no jokes here please...   lol ).    

Hoping Mike will be along soon to spill the beans....  :)

Please don't take this as a criticism, I love these figures and just want to see more...

Cheers,

Tim

Offline Anna Elizabeth

• Scientist
Re: Artizan NWF Next Releases?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 03:52:11 PM »
I don't know what's next, but I'm looking forwards to more command packs too. :)

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 11:46:40 AM »
I have been wondering the exact same thing for months now.  I like to purchase complete units all at once rather than in dribs and drabs or even large portions thereof, so I'm a bit frustrated with the continuing lack of Highlaner command and now the lack of Punjabi command as well.  I need to get full units of both completed for a convention game early this coming November and I'm starting to worry that may be impossible and I'll just have to use fill-in units of less historically accurate Indian and Highland troops already in my collection, which would be a bummer.  I was very happy to see accurate figures to represent the 92nd Highlanders during the Second Afghan War when Artizan released them months ago, but it's difficult to raise a battalion of Highlanders without any Highland officers or NCOs, not to mention pipers.  Of course there's no other game in town for either accurately equipped Highlanders or accurately turbaned Punjabis in 28mm for the Second Afghan War, at least that I know of, so I'll just keep hoping those command packs are relased sooner rather than later.
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Anna Elizabeth

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 12:54:55 PM »
^ That's what I like to do, too. Back in December, I ordered enough Perry to make the KRRC in one go, and I want to do the same with Artizan.

Keeping my fingers crossed, I want to do Artizan Highlanders too. :)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 03:39:01 PM »
Pretty sure i've seen the officers painted up as highlanders, didn't they go for tartan trews?

Offline Anna Elizabeth

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 06:06:15 PM »
Pretty sure i've seen the officers painted up as highlanders, didn't they go for tartan trews?

That's a thought. I need more reference, I guess. :)

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 06:54:26 PM »
The 72nd Seaforths highlanders wore trews during the second Afghan war. The other Highland regiment involved in the conflict were the Gordon's and they wore kilts.

Officers of the Seaforths also wore tartan puttees. I don't fancy painting those in 28mm!  :o
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Anna Elizabeth

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 07:04:44 PM »
The 72nd Seaforths highlanders wore trews during the second Afghan war. The other Highland regiment involved in the conflict were the Gordon's and they wore kilts.

Officers of the Seaforths also wore tartan puttees. I don't fancy painting those in 28mm!  :o

Thank you and *Yikes*!  :o

In my scale, I only need one officer for the Seaforth's....I *think* I can manage *1* w/ tartan puttees.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 07:35:18 PM »
Have faith, I'm guessing that things have just been delayed by the Frostgrave project..... one hopes anyway  :)

Darrell.

Offline Bindonblood

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 08:44:31 PM »
I hope it is just Frostgrave that is causing the delay.

The thing is, I like elements, so for me, it isn't just a case of painting 22 figures instead of 24 and then painting up a nco and a drummer when they come out, I'd have 5 finished bases and 1 unfinished base.

As an aside, those flashes on the British figures, does anyone know what regiments had what flashes?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 06:50:21 AM »

The thing is, I like elements, so for me, it isn't just a case of painting 22 figures instead of 24 and then painting up a nco and a drummer when they come out, I'd have 5 finished bases and 1 unfinished base.

As an aside, those flashes on the British figures, does anyone know what regiments had what flashes?

When I was the forthcoming future Perry Plastic three ups for the NWF at Salute I made up my mind to use the Artizan stuff in skirmish games and the Perry stuff in regimental games.

Still, I do not deny that it would be great to see the various NCO's for the Artizan range as they would add a lot of character to the battlefield.

Darrell.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 09:09:51 AM »
Tim,

As far as I know as a rule British regiments didn't wear helmet flashes during the Second Afghan War.  I'm not a historian, just an "enthusiast" of the Second Afghan War who's done a fair amount of research over the decades, but the only period photo I've ever come across showing a foreign service helmet bearing a regimental flash during the conflict was on the helmet of a British officer of the 28th Punjab Native Infantry and jus shows the number "28" on a solid dark background.  I've always assumed the background was either dark green, since that was the color of the regiment's facings, or red if it was cut from a Service Dress type tunic.

I believe at least some British infantry units wore helmet flashes during the 1897 Pathan Revolt, and many British infantry regiments involved in the 1898 Sudan campaign certainly wore them.  I've seen at least one photo of men of the Lincolnshire Regt. with white flashes on their helmet covers and a color plate of a Cameron Highlander from the same campaign wearing one.  I believe helmet flashes were universal in the British Army at the start of the South African or Second Boer War, but maybe it was already the case at Omdurman.  Often but not always they were cut from shoulder straps of service dress tunics with the Regimental title embroidered in white, while Highland regiments usually used a piece of their respective tartans.  Rifles, Artillery & Engineers each had their own flashes -- green for Rifles, red and blue for Artillery, yellow for Royal Engineers, maroon for the Medical Service.  A few infantry regiments did have peculiar different flashes in place of white titles on red backgrounds.

None of this is to imply that I think there's anything wrong with painting the flashes sculpted on the Artizan figures for the 1878-1880 Afghan War if someone desires to do so, which wouldn't bother me.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 07:37:57 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 11:02:44 AM »
I put a helmet flash on my Leicestershire infantry, whether accurate or not, just because I liked it.  ;) And it added a bit of colour to an otherwise Khaki uniform.

Although helmet flashes are probably fairly unlikely for the 2nd Afghan war it won't hurt to represent them.  :D

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 12:03:54 PM »
They're a mistake by the sculptor. Too early by just shy of twenty years for them. I'd file 'em off.

But that's just me.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 06:31:10 PM »

Spoke to Nick about this today. Frostgrave has nothing to do with it, Mike's sculpts for Frostgrave were done ages ago. The reason for the lack of releases recently is because Mike hasn't given Nick any.

That said, he did get some a couple of days ago which are currently in the hands of the post office being delivered to the mould maker. Some command figures and....... NCO's! He wasn't sure which units they were for from memory but he said they were very nice  :D
So many projects..... so little time.......