Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:45:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [Kickstarter] White Dragon Miniatures - 15mm Sci-Fi Miniatures  (Read 8851 times)

Offline overwatch

• Assistant
Hello all!

I know, I know... I can hear the groans from here already at the mention of yet another bloody kickstarter project being advertised. Hopefully I can shed some light on our little project to show that we are much more prepared and "clued up" compared to others that may have left people feeling cold to the whole crowd funding thing.

We're looking to put into production the long awaited 15mm Marine Tactical Unit from the Earth Exploration Fleet taken from our currently-in-development space combat game, Shattered Void. While we are avid fans of all things Sci-Fi (hence why we are creating a new interesting universe, complete with a thorough backstory and lore) we are also gamers at heart. We have decided to test the Kickstarter waters with a small campaign to fund some 15mm Sci-Fi Infantry and accompanying support mecha to get us used to the platform and running a Kickstarter Project in general before we go heavy into the main Shattered Void game.

Some of you may or may not have seen the renders and previews that have been shown around the 'net over the last few weeks so hopefully this will serve as a bit of an introduction to us at White Dragon Miniatures and what we would like to do - Which is to provide awesome, highly detailed miniatures for you guys and girls to fight with!

All of our current miniatures in the MTU kickstarter have already been Sculpted, 3D Printed and a first initial test batch cast by Prodos Games which means we are already in a very good position for getting our kickstarter fulfilled promptly. We've already funded the project ourselves out of our own pockets to this point, all we need now is the help of the community to climb over the final hurdle to get them into full production.

So we're not running a kickstarter based on renders or ideas that may never see the light of day. We have proof that the actual miniatures are pretty much ready to go out of the door and already had a number of talented painters and reviewers look over our miniatures.

Without waffling on any further, I'll leave the link to our little project here along with a small selection of imagery to hopefully whet the appetite!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1393708645/marine-tactical-unit-15mm-scale-miniatures

Any and all comments are more than welcome and thank you for taking the time to read thus far!

Offline Fig-man1

• Assistant
Re: [Kickstarter] White Dragon Miniatures - 15mm Sci-Fi Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 03:15:15 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o These look fantastic! I made my pledge and I can't wait to get some paint on these. Great job!!

Offline Rowlybot12000

• Student
  • Police!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 03:21:27 PM »
Well I'm in. Good looking figures for a good price.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 04:00:18 PM »
Very nice. :) I have to say that 'animesque mecha' isn't my usual flavour of sci-fi, but these are very tempting.

Resin at 15mm, though. Ouch. I can foresee a few broken gun barrels, though how does Prodos' casting usually hold up?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 04:15:41 PM by Vermis »

Offline overwatch

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 09:04:41 PM »
Hiya guys!
Thank you for the kind words!

In response to the resin question, we've specifically gone with Prodos Games as their resin has a certain amount of elasticity to it which means that the barrels can stand a certain amount of punishment before breaking. We can say quite confidently that we did some drop tests with these guys and the barrels survived, paint intact - They even bounce somewhat when they hit the ground rather than the heart-stopping 'thump' that metals produce (and at best a repaint, at worst some serious TLC)! Only forcefully pushing the gun barrels past 50-60 degrees has made them break so far.

May I just say though that they are in fact resin, not the horrible restic garbage that's doing the rounds! :)

Hope that clears up some questions! Anything further by all means let me know and I'll do my best to help.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 09:46:24 PM »
Lovely miniatures, and very welcome to the 15mm market.

Can I just make a suggestion about your ruleset, please just don't tie it into your own minis, but allow people to use other minis with them as well. The wargaming world seems littered with ruleset designed by this company or that to fit their own minis, but never anyone else as well, and then you end up with a few odds and ends, no one to play with and yet another 'dead' ruleset. Try to be radical and openminded regarding other miniature ranges.

But seriously lovely looking minis!

Offline overwatch

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 10:48:32 AM »
Thank you for the comments Dijit!

At present we're not looking into creating a 15mm game. These are just a range of 15mm Sci-Fi miniatures to be used how you like for any game you like! :)

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 11:46:27 AM »
Those are exceptionally nice figures! Unfortunately I tend to avoid kickstarters (the only two i backed a few years ago never really bore much fruit) but once these are made available I will be sure to make a purchase!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 12:14:35 PM »
I am very much afraid I could not resist.  :o 8)
It's the animesity of the mecha which sucked me in initially; I hesitated, but the armadillo then put in the coup de grace.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 02:08:12 PM »
In response to the resin question, we've specifically gone with Prodos Games as their resin has a certain amount of elasticity to it which means that the barrels can stand a certain amount of punishment before breaking. We can say quite confidently that we did some drop tests with these guys and the barrels survived, paint intact - They even bounce somewhat when they hit the ground rather than the heart-stopping 'thump' that metals produce (and at best a repaint, at worst some serious TLC)! Only forcefully pushing the gun barrels past 50-60 degrees has made them break so far.

May I just say though that they are in fact resin, not the horrible restic garbage that's doing the rounds! :)

Good answer.  :D Ta.

Offline barney_leadhead

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 06:48:33 PM »
The 'Sandport' thread started me considering 15mm for Sci-Fi but I've not committed to purchase any figures yet; these superb looking minis could push me over the edge... I still have a few days left to decide ;)
Best Regards
Christopher

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 11:00:37 AM »
The 'Sandport' thread started me considering 15mm for Sci-Fi but I've not committed to purchase any figures yet; these superb looking minis could push me over the edge... I still have a few days left to decide ;)
Come over to the darkside!
;)

Offline overwatch

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 05:47:39 PM »
Not just useful for 15mm, the mechs can be used in 28mm too as some Autonomous Robots! :)
Mini is a 28mm chap from Hasslefree Minis.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 05:51:11 PM »
That darned armadillo!
Main cause of my downfall....  >:( :D 8)

Nice PJs, and the big chap is bigger than I imagined him. Which is  8)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 06:01:25 PM »
That darned armadillo!
Main cause of my downfall....  >:( :D 8)

One does not fall down to 15mm. One ascends to it :P
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino