Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:56:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pirate Ship Project (Updated 11-19)  (Read 12324 times)

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
Re: Pirate Ship Project (Updated 10-26)
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 11:25:01 PM »
Sinewgrab,

Would love to play a game with that ship of yours.  I'm in Hillsboro.  There's another guy here in Hillsboro with about 150 painted Foundry pirates that would like to have a go at sailing or fighting over your ship.

We've got a local group of wargamers that meets at the Hillsboro Main Public Library once a month.  We've got a restricted local Yahoo Group devoted to miniature wargaming called EmeraldValleyWargamers. Would love it if you joined that local Yahoo Group.

Sent you a slightly more detailed PM about this.  Check it out.

Warren
Sailors have more fun!

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
Re: Pirate Ship Project (Update!)
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 11:43:50 PM »
I have some cannon dummies I will mounting inside of the silver portholes - which are bead mounts that fit just about perfect for it. The biggest problem I have now is trying figure out what to do for a figurehead. I don't have anything that scales to the roughly 1 1/2 to 2 times human size that looks right. I wanted a woman with sword pointed forward, but nothing I currently have will work. Any suggestions?

There are a lot of Reaper figures that might work as figureheads.  Both Rainy Day Games in Aloha and Bridgetown Hobbies in Portland have a lot of those, as I'm sure you already know.  There are mermaid figures, a Medusa figure, and a variety of barbarian females with swords, some pointed up.  You might also be able to find some sort of female paladin with a raised sword that would suggest Joan of Arc.  Most of them are about 28mm.  However, some of the figures intended as Egyptian statues are bigger.

The figurehead would go beneath the bowsprit, and I notice from looking at one of the pictures that you have something in that spot already.  Maybe another layer of the foam could be inserted underneath when you are using the ship as a sailing ship instead of a steamship, and that would give more room to place the figurehead.

Did you get the cannons and ship's wheel from Tammie's Hobbies?

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 06:33:09 AM »

There are a lot of Reaper figures that might work as figureheads.  Both Rainy Day Games in Aloha and Bridgetown Hobbies in Portland have a lot of those, as I'm sure you already know.  There are mermaid figures, a Medusa figure, and a variety of barbarian females with swords, some pointed up.  You might also be able to find some sort of female paladin with a raised sword that would suggest Joan of Arc.  Most of them are about 28mm.  However, some of the figures intended as Egyptian statues are bigger.

The figurehead would go beneath the bowsprit, and I notice from looking at one of the pictures that you have something in that spot already.  Maybe another layer of the foam could be inserted underneath when you are using the ship as a sailing ship instead of a steamship, and that would give more room to place the figurehead.

Did you get the cannons and ship's wheel from Tammie's Hobbies?

28mm isn't big enough - I look at a lot of the 16th century to 17th century galleons and they have a figurehead that is easily 1 1/2 to 2 times human, so I am trying to find a model of something in roughly 1/54 scale.

I'll shop at Rainy Day when they drag my screaming corpse in through the back door, and no sooner. Bridgetown is good though, and George at Ancient Wonders will order anything I want.

And yeah, Tammie's Hobbies is like a big crack house for hobbyists.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 12:33:09 AM »
28mm isn't big enough - I look at a lot of the 16th century to 17th century galleons and they have a figurehead that is easily 1 1/2 to 2 times human, so I am trying to find a model of something in roughly 1/54 scale.

I'll shop at Rainy Day when they drag my screaming corpse in through the back door, and no sooner.

Hmm, that's a tall order! ;) Finding a suitable figurehead isn't easy.

Should let Rainy Day Games know they can drag your screaming corpse in so that they can use you for a living zombie game.  May be too late to plan that for this Halloween... :o

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: Pirate Ship Project (Updated 10-26)
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 08:53:44 AM »
You're doing a smashing job.

Looking forward to some updated photos.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pirate Ship Project (Updated 11-19)
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 05:30:17 AM »
Well, the ol' ship is coming right along. I don't have her painted yet, nor have I managed to finish my masts setup, but hey, I need to give you something, right? Excuse my shaky camera work - I have spent most of the last few nights more awake than not, and am shaking like a leaf in a brisk wind.

Here is the doorway beneath, to the Captain's cabin and such. I had an old pair of Armorcast cathedral doors that I cut down to make the doors, and the barrels are woodne ones I grabbed at Michael's.

This is the ship's center area. You can see that I have added dummy cannons along the sides.

In this shot, I tried to get a good one of the whole ship. Excuse the mess - my large order of Black Cat Bases pirates came today as well, and my wife has a sewing project going that she has not yet been able to get back to.

The rear of the ship.

The nose of the vessel - here you can see the old random pair of dragon wings I added for strength. That section cracked when I ran into it one evening, so I added them, and I am planning on just painting them as though they were carved into the ship.

A view of the back of the vessel.

Another view of the nose.

This is with first coat of paint, a double drybrush, and some metal painted. I have a lot more work to do, but I think she is coming along nicely.

Offline BigMecha

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 06:01:17 AM »
that is very nice!  Keep up the great work!
::::: Ancients::::::::
:::::: World War I :::::::
::::::: World War II ::::::::
:::::::: Science Fiction :::::::
:::::::::::    Fantasy   :::::::::::::::

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 09:07:24 AM »
I know you were repairing a bit of damage but the wings look great. Looking forward to the finished article.
Will you get there with the size of the lead mountain we can see in the photos?

Offline Le matou rouge

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 01:14:21 PM »
Wow ! All is very impressive : your work, your boat and your shelves too !

meow,
Matt
We are the Village Green Preservation Society
We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular
Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula
Ray Davies

Offline Luckyjoe

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 03:17:50 PM »
That is looking great. I like the way the wings came out. An excellent way to repair the damage. :) Looking forward to more.

Luckyjoe

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 03:58:04 PM »
I know you were repairing a bit of damage but the wings look great. Looking forward to the finished article.
Will you get there with the size of the lead mountain we can see in the photos?

I hope so - I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to finish projects I already had in the works before getting started on new ones. This is a bit more expansive, though. Besides, after the amount of time I have already spant on it, my wife would kick my butt if I did not finish it.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 07:12:37 PM »
I agree that the dragon wings look cool.  And what is that winged figure over the bowsprit?

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 08:06:45 PM »
I agree that the dragon wings look cool.  And what is that winged figure over the bowsprit?

I haven't a clue, honestly. I had two of them from a box of damaged figures I picked up for $20 from a local game store some, oh, 10 years ago. The lower half had been smashed, but it was intact above the waist. The fig is hard to see in these photos, but has upswept wings, and a hood over the head that has no eyeholes. I thought it looked neat, plus it covers a gap I couldn't get rid of.

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2008, 12:45:36 PM »
Love the boat, I'm alway jealous when I see that other people actually do manage to finish their projects :)

you sure the lower half is smashed? I can't see the figure very clearly, but it looks a lot like a Ral Partha mini I own. Actually, its the back of a throne of some bad guy (have to dig in my Ral Partha box to be certain who's throne it is). He never had a lower half, but the way it is connected to the lower part of the throne, might seem like it's smahed of (it's just a undetailed tag)

Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2008, 06:36:12 PM »
Love the boat, I'm alway jealous when I see that other people actually do manage to finish their projects :)

you sure the lower half is smashed? I can't see the figure very clearly, but it looks a lot like a Ral Partha mini I own. Actually, its the back of a throne of some bad guy (have to dig in my Ral Partha box to be certain who's throne it is). He never had a lower half, but the way it is connected to the lower part of the throne, might seem like it's smahed of (it's just a undetailed tag)

It could have been a tag - it was just a corroded looking twist of metal. Huh, I wonder if I have the throne around here somewhere...