Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:44:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 524
Total: 529

Recent

Author Topic: Abyssinian Flags?  (Read 3459 times)

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
Abyssinian Flags?
« on: June 17, 2015, 08:25:49 PM »
Hi All,
Right then, this is pretty obscure, but on the principle it never hurts to ask, I'll give it a go:I'm currently working on a project very loosely based on the Abyssinian Campaign of 1868. Do any of you know what sort of flags (if any) the Abyssinian carried into battle? My guess is they would have sported icons of some sort, in the Ethiopian style, but as I say, that's only a guess. Google hasn't been much help on this, as it only seems to come up with modern examples. I'd greatly appreciate any guidance.

As an aside, flags from the Adowa period (1890s) would be fine as well--I'm not too picky on that sort of thing.

Many thanks for any pointers!

Daryl

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Abyssinian Flags?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 08:36:47 PM »
have you checked the osprey book on Adowa?

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 09:04:56 PM »
I didn't know there was one. That's a good lead, Juergen, thank you!

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 09:28:19 PM »
better than Osprey i suggest you the dated De Bello book (osprey type in Italian)
of which the plates could be seen there:

http://blog.libero.it/wrnzla/7672892.html?ssonc=1535552497

the first plate of the last images shoe, in second plan, abbyssininan standard..just push on images

This plate depicting Empress Taitu with sacred banner and flags is, in my opinion, inspiring and useful for wargame minis:
https://rastafarirenaissance.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/adwa.jpg

this one...a bit pulp/fictious..but who care:
http://www.ebay.it/itm/CARTOLINA-LA-POSTA-NEL-MONDO-BANDIERA-ABISSINIA-/270665353351

Priests..taht follow the army at Adwa ecc..the coptic holy cross was a standard carried in battle
http://m2.paperblog.com/i/85/854440/casa-museo-maresciallo-ditalia-pietro-badogli-L-d8UIWN.jpeg

you can detetect other flags

http://steelpulse.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/adwa.jpg

https://spiderwebsunite.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/battle-of-adwa-1896.jpg

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 10:50:33 PM »
Italwars, those sites vastly exceeded my expectations: I now have much more to work from. The illustrations from the DeBello are particularly helpful.  I can't thank you enough for taking the time to post those links. In fact, so inspired am I by this little project of mine I actually broke down and ordered an Ethiopian cookbook today, just for further inspiration and "field research". As I make my own mead and have a large store of it down in the basement, that's Tej covered!

Many thanks again,

Daryl

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 12:53:40 PM »
Arundel..you're welcome
i'm Italian and my my main wargame interest is the colonial military history of my country..i'm always happy when somebody from abroad is interest in this period and like to correspond in English...
i've researched this subject lifelong and like to build up Ethiopain and Italian units..i 'd the chance, this year, to play a lot of games with TSATF together with a US wargamer also living here in Rome..who happened to have a quite big Ethiopain Army ...i'm alos interested in the last colonial war of Italy...the invasion of Abyssinia in 1935...last, i produced, years ago minis for both conflicts..Adwa and 1935 conquest..above all native types..in 28mm and 20mm...maybe one day, as some are asking me, i'll revamp my miniature production
..i've a vast library on the subject.....and i'll be happy to help you with any info in case of need
best regards
Pier

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 01:03:06 PM »
Italwars, those sites vastly exceeded my expectations: I now have much more to work from. The illustrations from the DeBello are particularly helpful.  I can't thank you enough for taking the time to post those links. In fact, so inspired am I by this little project of mine I actually broke down and ordered an Ethiopian cookbook today,

me too love so called Ethnic kitchen...very spicied..as i'm a mediterranean i appreciate naturaly those kind of tastes...the only problem is that, also if there is a good Eritrean/Ethiopian Restaurant here in Rome..in my opinion quite good and entertaining with charateristic music played by a traditional band ..but, i don't know your approach, but i conceive to go to restaurant ecc..only with girls to which i date and want to impress them ;) ....and the majority of them, being quite snob, from my experience, don't appreciate to eat by hands and directly from the dish some very spicied food :)

http://www.tripadvisor.it/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g187791-d2169605-i61494632-Ristorante_Zighini-Rome_Lazio.html#61494663

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 03:49:08 PM »
Your passion for the subject are inspiring, Piers. I'm very impressed that you've even created figures for the Italian/Abyssinian campaigns, and will watch for their re-release. I remember studying the photos of Abyssinians in Wargames Illustrated years ago (late 90s, I'd guess): they were by a company called Trent, were true 25's--and so rather smaller than many of today's offerings--but to me they simply oozed character. Interestingly enough, I think the range was sold for a while through the now defunct Strategia y Tactica (sp?), which I believe was in Rome? Not sure on that, however. Anyway, though the range (and the store) seem to have vanished, its inspiration has not, and about a year ago I began my Abyssinian project, which is providing me hours of good fun.

I have to admit my take on the subject is a little unorthodox. These days I primarily game in 54mm, so my collection is in that scale, all metal. I paint the lads in the toy soldier style, in a way that I hope Stephenson and Wells and Young would approve of, with simple colours, no washes or highlights, all topped with several coats of glossy laquer. Because I am cheap, lazy and often historically irresponsible, I am using British figures from the earlier Sikh Wars to fight them; with twenty years between the two campaigns the uniforms were actually quite different, but I've never enjoyed painting Imperial regulars as much as their savage opponents, and so I'm making these do the job. This is all for campaigns in my fictitious province of Tanjapore, so it doesn't particularly matter (at least to me), and otherwise they are cracking figures--a real joy to behold. One thing I enjoy about big scale gaming is the thrill of the hunt. Sniffing around for appropriate figures to use can actually be quite enjoyable, and again, if the look isn't spot on it doesn't bother me. Wells didn't seem to care about such things...

Having said all this about my fictional approach, I still try to do a lot of historical research for the period in question. I have to admit, I am much more familiar with the British (and to a lesser degree, French) colonial campaigns, but, inspired by the tip above I just ordered the Osprey book on the Battle of Adowa, and so look forward to learning more on your country's involvement in that fascinating place. I'm not sure, but it sounds as though Adowa may have been the worst European colonial debacle of the age, making disasters like Isandlwana and Maiwand sound like walks in the park by comparison. I'm curious to learn if this was due to bad generalship, bad luck, Abyssinian tactics or leaders or all the above. It's a fascinating subject I look forward to learning more about. Too bad we don't live closer, as I can see a good long chat with you would teach me a great deal on all this--though I suppose my wallet should be grateful that I don't go chasing off a whole new project...

As regards things culinary, I love food of all kinds, the more ethnic the better. There is really nothing better than having a good game with food and drink to match the theme. Having said this, I understand your hesitation in taking the young ladies to your local restaurant. Being married with young daughters, eating with one's hands hardly raises an eyebrow in our household!

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 04:59:54 AM »
Hi Pier,

Would you be able to enlighten me/us on the details of Italian cavalry please if you have details in your library?

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=80421.0

Also, would these Abyssinian Flags of the Adowa period be usable  in 1935-36 v Italy? What flags would be need for those?...any pics?

Kind regards

Happy W
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 06:09:38 AM by Happy Wanderer »