Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:50:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690879
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: FROSTGRAVE - The long night is coming.........  (Read 15710 times)

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
Re: FROSTGRAVE - The long night is coming.........
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 10:58:08 AM »
Thanks Chaps!

I agree just the perfect ghoulish vibe there... a lot different from most pop culture treatment of the undead.

I concur and that is certainly the look I didn't want  ;)

Damn, that female ghoul diorama is great if just a bit sickening  :o Love the blood effects, I really need to work on my Tamiya Clear Red.

Tamiya Clear Red is wonderful to work with, I begin by using the colour straight from the jar to define where I wanted the blood and blood splatter to be, then I darkened it by adding Vallejo Game Wash Umber Shade and for the recesses etc or where I felt the blood would be pooling and congealing most I added Vallejo Game Ink Black.

Cheers

Gary
COMMISIONS OPEN - I CUSTOM KITBASH YOUR MODELS. 40K, STARGRAVE, NECROMUNDA, AoS; FORBIDDEN PSALM

https://withkoji.com/@IsItSheerMadness

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 09:26:38 AM »
Sorry, not much action recently, I went on a nice holiday for one month and have been finishing off the first of 2 'Zombie Cavalry', of which I'll post a proper picture of soon! In the meantime here's some images of how the Undead Group is shaping up:

A mix of some classic Citadel with Ral Partha and some newer Heresy Ghouls! As per the first 2 models in the thread, I'm going for interest within the bases too, trying to create a story around the Undead Group being discovered and then going on the offensive, such as the Necromancer (an old Citadel Gandalf the Grey!) raising a fallen warrior from the snow and the ghouls scurrying forwards to attack and eat some fresh meat.....

The white gooey looking mass on the base next to the Mordheim Elf Zombie is White Crackle Paint, I have applied a decent thickness and once it dries out it will (hopefully!) give the appearance of cracked ice!

More to follow soon!

Cheers

Gary

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 07:50:35 PM »
So, here's the next instalment of the Undead, a Zombie Cavalry'man'

The horse is from Ral Partha (still available to buy via Ironwind in the USA) and the rider is a classic C21 Undead Cavalry model from Citadel Miniatures:

Here's a group shot of the 3 models finished thus far:

Next up is another classic Citadel model, a Zombie Elf from their Mordheim range!

Cheers

Gary

« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 07:52:48 PM by King Arthur »

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 09:10:43 PM »
Well, not long to wait until the next model  :)

Here's the first of the 2 Mordheim Zombies, an unfortunate Elf! I need to finish his Gem stone details and then move onto the base:

Here's how the Crackle Paint turned out once dry; I'm happy with the result and once painted and tinted I do believe it will look like the splintered/cracking ice I imagined.....

And finally, the rest of the gang in the painting que  :)

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2015, 05:02:52 AM »
Wow, great painting on characterful models.  :)

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2015, 12:13:34 PM »
Wow, great painting on characterful models.  :)

Thank you kind Sir! The models thus far have been great fun to paint!

So now the Elf is finished, the jewels painted and the base too:

and now work has begun on the final Ghoul models:

Stay tuned for more updates soon(ish!)  :)

Cheers

Gary

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 09:39:24 PM »
Soooo, a long time coming with an update, but here they are!

Next up is another Ghoul:

The 3 and final Ghoul of the loathsome group:

Next up is the Necromancer, an old Citadel Miniatures Gandalf the Grey, I have modeled him mid spell, raising a Skeleton from the frozen wastes.....

The next Zombie, another great miniature from Citadel, an unfortunate Sigmarite Sister!

Last up for now is a great model by Ral Partha (now available from Iron Wind) a Zombie Horse! Originally I had planned him with a rider, but after painting the model and re-looking at the pose I felt it looked best alone, the stalking stance is perfect.

And finally a Group shot:

The final model to complete the group is of course the Vampire! She's currently on the painting table  :)

I hope you like the update!

Cheers

Gary

Offline Harry

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 11:15:06 AM »
Great update. In fcat great to see this project log updated. Really different (and horrific :D) take on Frostgarve.

Do you think the horse is aa bit tooo white ... I can't help thinking it might look better looking a bit more green around the gills to fit in with the rest of your merry band. Just a thought.

What are you plans for an opposing warband?

Offline Bane

• Assistant
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 11:38:24 AM »
Really excellent storytelling on all these miniatures, the way you have positioned them on the base with other elements really adds to their character. I love seeing Gandalf raise a skeleton; he seems to be looking up to the wizard with some affection!

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 08:45:54 PM »
Excellent, if gribbly, stuff. That horse is very disturbing!

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
    • It's a Hobby, not an Addiction!
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2016, 10:15:41 PM »
Very gory stuff! I really like the ghoul, the glimmer in it's eyes is a great contrast to the leathery skin and brings it to horrible (half)life.

Offline MrCharisma

• Assistant
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2016, 08:48:53 AM »
Wow... that Ghoul is crazy and horrifying.

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2016, 03:30:19 PM »
Great update. In fcat great to see this project log updated. Really different (and horrific :D) take on Frostgarve.

Do you think the horse is aa bit tooo white ... I can't help thinking it might look better looking a bit more green around the gills to fit in with the rest of your merry band. Just a thought.

Thanks Harry!

The horse is whiter in the pics, the coloured layers are quite subtle as I wanted to give a look of the skin turning opaque. I researched (not for the squeamish!!) online, decomposing horses (yes it was nasty.....) and saw one that was white skinned and to my surprise the skin was still white, whilst other parts had started to rot and turn a tad bad  ;)

So, that's my reasoning for being lazy  ;D

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2016, 07:32:05 PM »
That necromancer is too cool, man. I didn't totally buy Gandalf as a necromancer until I saw the green on his robes, that's a nice touch.  :)

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2016, 02:52:28 PM »

To answer this one Harry.....

I don't actually game anymore. My Son is sadly, at the moment, not interested (11 yrs old, You Tube/ipad generation!) so I now paint as my hobby, some I sell on, others I keep. For example, this warband I will offer up for Sale once the Vampire is completed.

Wow... that Ghoul is crazy and horrifying.

Thank you! I'm assuming you mean the Ghoul Hag with the baby for dinner....... a great model, very disturbing, but fitting the theme.

Very gory stuff! I really like the ghoul, the glimmer in it's eyes is a great contrast to the leathery skin and brings it to horrible (half)life.

Thanks! I went for a light blue across all the models for the eyes, again to tie them together under the influence of their Vampire Mistress.

Excellent, if gribbly, stuff. That horse is very disturbing!

It is indeed! The sculpt is just perfect! It's unnatural for a horse (I think?!) to be stooping and stalking, so it really plays upon your perception of the animal! Coupled with a bloody maw and its the stuff of nightmares (no pun intended, honest!)

Really excellent storytelling on all these miniatures, the way you have positioned them on the base with other elements really adds to their character. I love seeing Gandalf raise a skeleton; he seems to be looking up to the wizard with some affection!

Well, Gandalf deserves the respect and devotion he is getting  :) Thank you for the comments! I followed and read your first Family HQ game over at the Oldhammer Forum, great stuff! Jelly Bean treasure counters  :D

That necromancer is too cool, man. I didn't totally buy Gandalf as a necromancer until I saw the green on his robes, that's a nice touch.  :)

Yeah, I agree at first I thought how will the model look, hand in pocket, hand outstretched, pipe hanging from cloak..... but it turned out alright in the end! Painted using Vallejo WWII German Uniforms colours mixed with Fluro Green wash done the job!

The Vampire is based and painting will begin tonight  ;)

Cheers

Gary