Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:14:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: FROSTGRAVE - The long night is coming.........  (Read 15715 times)

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
FROSTGRAVE - The long night is coming.........
« on: June 25, 2015, 09:47:41 PM »
and the dead come with it.....

Sitting in a box for a while now, have been a selection of models I had intended to use as an Undead Warband in Mordheim, but then Frostgrave came along and I thought what the hell! This seems like a great platform and the motivation required to paint some Undead models! I'm no expert on the system, types of 'monsters' or random encounters etc, but I do know that the Undead will feature, so here we go........

I know that 'Cavalry' are not permitted in the rules, but I have 2 lovely old Ral Partha Zombie Horses and some vintage C21 Undead Cavalry riders from Citadel to use and they do look great! Perhaps they could feature in a skirmish in an out lying village or an ambush on route somewhere as oppose to City centre fighting?!

The Vampire leader, if anyone is interested she is 'Leonora' from Gamezone Miniatures:

An old citadel Chaos Hound which will be painted as a Zombie Hound, he has just finished eating 'something' which is the rib cage you see on the ground.....

So, this is the start, I'm waiting on a few bits to arrive in the post, namely an old citadel Fantasy Specials 'Grate' which will be used as base feature and last but not least some Crackle Paint, which is great for painting cracked ice effects!

I think I'll begin this project by painting the doggy first  ;)

Cheers

Gary
COMMISIONS OPEN - I CUSTOM KITBASH YOUR MODELS. 40K, STARGRAVE, NECROMUNDA, AoS; FORBIDDEN PSALM

https://withkoji.com/@IsItSheerMadness

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
Re: FROSTGRAVE - The long night is coming.........
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 09:54:40 PM »
Great pics of some seriously nice minis!  :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 10:06:44 PM »
I have some old Chaos Hounds, too, just found them yesterday rummaging through a couple of drawers searching for more Undead...  :D
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 12:14:22 PM »
Great pics of some seriously nice minis!  :)

Thanks! The minis are very nice, the old C21 Undead Cavalry from Citadel are in my humble opinion, the best Undead Cavalry range ever made  :)

I like the Ral Partha Zombie horses, as they have very 'evil' looking faces, which lends well to this project.

The other models I will use are 2 Zombies from Citadels OOP Mordheim range and some fantastic Ghoul sculpts from Heresey Miniatures, along with an old (again) Citadel Gandalf the Grey which be represented as a Necromancer.

I will aim for a dark and brutal colour scheme, to reflect that all the models in the 'Warband' represent creatures that either eat raw flesh or drink blood, so they should have a look and feel of depravity about them, balanced out with the stark white snow/ice bases representing the Frostgrave setting, should make for an impactful look (I hope!!).

Cheers Gary

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 12:29:50 PM »
Lovely stuff - a great choice of models, and the theme of emaciated corruption is just perfect!

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 07:44:37 AM »
OK, here's some quick pictures of the first model I'm painting, the 2 headed doggy  ;)

I've gone for a Rottweiler colouration as a base before he gets covered in his gore splattered Undead palette  lol

I'll paint the mouth, in particular, with a heavy concentration of blood as I want the model to look like it has just finished eating whatever is lying on the ground next to it!

More to follow soon!

Cheers

Gary

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 09:18:55 PM »
So, the bones have been painted ready to be splattered in gore! I have also given the base a few coats of white to represent snow and whilst that was drying, I have given the first Ghoul its base coat:

She will be holding her dinner........

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 09:38:32 PM »
So, Zombie Dog is now finished  >:D

Next up will be one of the Ghouls:

Hope you like the update!

Cheers

Gary

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 10:28:20 PM »
Oooh I like that blood effect!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 09:57:54 AM »
Oooh I like that blood effect!

Thanks!

It's the wonderful Clear Red X-27 by Tamiya, used it pure from the bottle for the base layer and then added in progressive amounts of Vallejo's Umber Shade Wash to give it a deeper colour.

Cheers

Gary

Offline Harry

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 10:57:08 AM »
Well this all looks very exciting. :D
I can see myself dipping in here from time to time for a dollop of inspiration.
I like zombie dog. I was going to use some of those for the wild dogs ... they look nice and hungry.

Offline Stepman3

• Scientist
    • http://stepman3.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 02:14:04 PM »
YUK. I mean that in the best possible way, great job.

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 08:47:58 PM »
OK, the female Ghoul is finished in all her gruesome glory!

As I stated in my earlier posts I wanted to go for a look that reflects the Undead for what they are, depraved flesh eaters and Ghouls are certainly depraved beings!

The Ghoul had been feasting on a cadaver which she has dragged closer to her and in her arms she is clutching a dead baby. A difficult subject to paint being a Father myself, but it fits in with the theme of an Undead warband wandering around Frostgrave and its surrounding hamlets raiding for food.....

I hope you like the latest instalment, next up will be one of the Cavalry models.

Cheers

Gary

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 10:32:12 PM »
Damn, that female ghoul diorama is great if just a bit sickening  :o Love the blood effects, I really need to work on my Tamiya Clear Red.

Offline Elgis

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 10:53:44 PM »
I agree just the perfect ghoulish vibe there... a lot different from most pop culture treatment of the undead.