Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:09:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What to see/do in Berlin?  (Read 1746 times)

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
What to see/do in Berlin?
« on: June 30, 2015, 04:02:41 PM »
Will go to Berlin next week with my family. Any historic/military museums/sites/shops that are MUST SEE?

Grateful for any recommendations!

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: What to see/do in Berlin?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 05:18:17 PM »
Will go to Berlin next week with my family. Any historic/military museums/sites/shops that are MUST SEE?

Grateful for any recommendations!

For gaming:

Battlefield Berlin, Gneisenaustrasse 43. Impressive variety of wargaming goods, well-managed and clean.

For old books:

On Sundays, there's a marvellous open market on Kupfergraben, next to the Museumsinsel. Lots and lots of interesting stuff to find there, although mostly German-language.

In Charlottenburg, on Knesebeckstrasse, there is a marvellous military bookstore called "Berliner Zinnfiguren und Preussisches Bücherkabinett (Berlin Toy Soldier and Prussian Book Cabinet)" which has a grand selection of military books and "model" quality metal and resin figures.

On museums:

Here's where it gets a bit tricky - lots of high-quality museums, but little in the way of military (these are in more remote backwaters like Dresden and Ingolstadt). The Museum of German History in the old armouries (Zeughaus) is worth a visit, although leaning a bit towards "potted" history. Fascinating, if sad is the Jewish museum - their medieval section is particularly worth it. Another interesting exhibition right now is in the Berlinische Galerien - this one focuses on the post-war architectural reconstruction in the East and West and has some fascinating exhibits next to a nice modern art collection.

You can also see for free the exterior of an old WW2 anti-aircraft bunker in Humboldthain; in Treptower Park, there is a most impressive monument for the Soviet War Dead of WW2 built from the rubble of Hitler's chancellory.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 05:20:13 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 06:55:39 PM »
I can highly recommend the Pergamonmuseum: http://www.smb.museum/en/museums-and-institutions/pergamonmuseum/home.html

The building alone is worth a visit… and they've not only the Pergamon Altar inside, but also splendid stuff like the Market Gate of Miletus and the stunning the Ishtar Gate.
Also, it's just across from the book market Chris mentioned (I used to go there regularly when I lived in Berlin…).

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 08:50:41 PM »
Here's where it gets a bit tricky - lots of high-quality museums, but little in the way of military (these are in more remote backwaters like Dresden and Ingolstadt).

Really? I'm travelling to Dresden through Berlin soon...

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 09:12:18 PM »
Really? I'm travelling to Dresden through Berlin soon...

Here you go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundeswehr_Military_History_Museum

Oh, and I forgot re:Berlin - there is of course the German-Russian Museum in Karlshorst (formerly Museum of the Great Patriotic War) located in the building where in May 1945 the Wehrmacht surrendered to the Soviet representatives. A very well-done (both didactically as well as for the exhibits) exhibition on WW2 with a focus on the Eastern Front plus a nice collection of Soviet Hardware, both WW2 and Cold War. Free of charge, too.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 10:21:06 PM »
Gents,

Many thanks for your recommendations! Seems I can send the family shopping and have some fun on my own 😀

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 09:10:05 AM »
Also try the catacombs; the subway stations and tunnels converted to be air raid shelters. Pretty impressive. When I visited them, it was with an old uni buddy who lives in Berlin, so I have no idea how we actually got there, but I do believe it is near the ruins of one of the big flak towers. It's also just next to a subway station.

I'm sure some more Berlin-savvy people can tell which one that is...  ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 09:22:06 AM »
I can highly recommend the Pergamonmuseum: http://www.smb.museum/en/museums-and-institutions/pergamonmuseum/home.html

The building alone is worth a visit… and they've not only the Pergamon Altar inside, but also splendid stuff like the Market Gate of Miletus and the stunning the Ishtar Gate.

Be aware, though, that the Pergamon Altar itself is currently not on display due to construction work. These things take a lot longer in Berlin than anywhere else in the world, so the reopening in 2019(!) is a mere guess. ::)
That said, the museum is still worth a visit, of course.