Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:15:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Stalled Tale from the Tin Shed,1st Engine Finished  (Read 65681 times)

Online tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Stalled Tale from the Tin Shed,1st Engine Finished
« on: July 08, 2015, 10:51:10 PM »
As usual I've been tinkering with an idea.As there's been some great ideas on how to convert cheep toy train sets into gaming models,
But I've a serious amount of card floating around and only a couple of personal projects on the go,and some free time due later in the month.
So the challenge I've set myself is to make a whole 'train' from scratch using the usual limited materials I use in the tutorials.I intend on using it for Pulp and VBCW,so it's going to have to have an Ealing feel to it,so thirties .
And that's where it falls on its face,because I know begged all about Trains!
So I'm asking for help and pictures ,to come up with the ideal combination of engine,tender, carriages,etc to fill the role.
In return I'll hide away and build it then post a tutorial if so desired,
Thanks in advance Mark.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:06:29 AM by tin shed gamer »

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
So I'm asking for help and pictures ,to come up with the ideal combination of engine,tender, carriages,etc to fill the role.

I get that you are looking for a British train. Itīs rather easy to build it from cardboard and coffee stirrers.
Could you specify what youīre looking for in particular?
Branch line: Tank engines without tender, 2axle carriages, local and agricultural goods traffic
Main line: Engines with tender, 4axle coaches, bulk haulage

Iīd go for the rural branch line (as I do http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=13533.0 http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50154.0 ).

Thomas the tank engine episodes are a great source of inspiration for that period (the old episodes with real models, not the new computer animations). You can easily spot how things are built.

Online tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Thanks for the reply,
Building the whole thing for nothing including track,using only cereal packet card,isn't an issue,it's just a matter of time,and that's where the cry for help comes from. I've no spare time to research without cutting into the time I have to build it in.
What intend is a more organic approach,for me it doesn't matter if its main line or branch in origin,I'll use a term gamers tend to avoid it's a 'fantasy 'not a direct copy of a real train.So I'm happy to have a Pullman followed by a cattle cart,or a flat bed.
I followed your link,while your engines very nicely done,I feel it's a bit too small,but I've no intention of building the Scott's man ,so I'm stuck as to what's in between  lol.
It's a hybrid of that looks pretty and oh I need one,linked together to form a train. With ability to be mixed up to form other combinations.
As for carriages they could be the top of a two axle on a four axle base the process of building will guide the final look,it's more than possible to come up with a small train in 16-25hours once you've broken it down into tasks.
I though this time rather than wait to be asked how to build it? I'd ask what to build.as I've no real back ground knowledge on the subject ,just hoping this bit of fun doesn't back fire.
Mark.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
I though this time rather than wait to be asked how to build it? I'd ask what to build.as I've no real back ground knowledge on the subject ,just hoping this bit of fun doesn't back fire.
Have a look there: https://www.google.de/search?q=thomas+the+tank+engine+toy&biw=1280&bih=876&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ooCeVfvINoKUUdXDgoAL&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Take the faces off the engines and they all look their part. They all are approached to real proto(-stereo)types with no particular ones in mind. Maybe you can find some cheap second hand to convert that match in scale. The wagons and coaches are alright too.

Online tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Thank you I understand where your coming from. I'm not out to convert any model nor buy any thing more than super glue.
The picture shows a couple of vehicles made in tutorial,and all the construction methods used on the plane will work on coach work etc,and the others cover everything else,
Half the fun of this project is to stick to the budget or lack of.
Mark.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Thank you I understand where your coming from. I'm not out to convert any model nor buy any thing more than super glue.
The picture shows a couple of vehicles made in tutorial,and all the construction methods used on the plane will work on coach work etc,and the others cover everything else,
Half the fun of this project is to stick to the budget or lack of.
Mark.

Absolutely love the plane! A glorious bit of work that is.

It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
Sounds like something a bit bigger than a tank engine, but not too big.

How about 'James' from Thomas?https://www.google.com.au/search?q=G%26SWR+%22Austrian+Goods%22+2-6-0&client=ms-android-optus-au&espv=1&ctxs=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&sboxchip=Images&source=univ&fir=tOwdtrdkyE_XcM%253A%252Cv3F9JPQwjc66qM%252C_%253B11LpdaDy011MiM%253A%252CDNTKA8_HkgCaEM%252C_%253BmpllO90LBzcknM%253A%252CxDvn4twvosxcOM%252C_%253BIWSvmlFyXHKC_M%253A%252CSMXcmwS-yqRbRM%252C_&usg=__F71upVNbc8-6tcLdDjxe8cX313g%3D&sa=X&ei=PxKiVfL7N-K_mwW3zYCYDQ&ved=0CBwQ7Ak

Cheers
Matt

Online tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
 lol thanks.
But no more Thomas!
I'm looking at images like this lol

Online tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
For some reason I can't rename the images,
The water colour gives you an idea of what I'm stuck on,the carriage is for detail,the last is fun but impractical and the sort of thing I'd get side tracked with. lol then have absolutely no use for.
Mark.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
How about Eagle comic cutaway illustrations?

eg
http://gizmodo.com/5963624/20-cutaway-drawings-that-will-slice-open-your-mind

Not that that bunch have a steam train (although there is a steam submarine)

But this one is just steam trains
http://www.wheeler-prints.co.uk/

A google search for "eagle cutaway drawing steam train" gives lots of options

The Works bookshop had a book of cutaways a while back

Maybe you're too young to remember the Eagle?

Might also be worth checking Look & Learn (Angus McBride was one of their artists)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 09:36:21 AM by fastolfrus »
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
If I am able to come down I can bring books and have a discussion as I have some fantastic books with all the measurements for them in 00 scale which I imagine you could convert the numbers, from ian allan publishing.
I was a railway modeller in my early days and a big train nut so could be quite handy haha.

If I cant get down I could always send you the books?

I think the best one for a first go is a simple locomotive like the G2 locomotive. It is a simple build and looks like a good work horse. here is a link to some facts about the loco...
http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=Bachmann-G2-Super-D

.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Online tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
I don't see why not,I'll pm end of next week as I'm downing tools this week .Off teaching in the peaks this weekend,and on Monday we're taking a four day break on the Linconshire Coast (some where nice and flat to recover lol)after that it'll take me a few days to get my hands working again so it will be the best time to visit before I ignore the world and try and catch up.
Mark.

Online tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
I do remember the eagle it had wonderful articles on how to build aeroplanes using solid fuel rockets and asbestos paper ! Learnt a lot from there modelling articles when I was younger.
See the problem with me doing my own research is I find things like this,and now I want one ,don't know why but I do :D

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror

See the problem with me doing my own research is I find things like this,and now I want one ,don't know why but I do :D

Wow, Iīve never seen a Shay engine off tracks! Well, itīs not literally off tracks, isnīt it?  ;)
I was aware of steam locomobiles yet, but didnīt know about the conversion of actual locomotives to haul a land train! Pulp at its best - another proof that reality is often more weird than one can imagine.
Running such a monster on solid and flat ground might be working, but in the wilderness? I donīt want to think of angled surfaces, muddy soil, sand or obstacles. Youīd need balls of steel to drive it, I guess!

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
Wow, that locomobile looks awesome :D

I shall keep my eyes peeled for a PM but have fun in the peaks and on the Lincolnshire coast :)