Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:45:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686665
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: JoeRugby’s Assorted Sci-fi thread - Xenomorphs, lots of Xenomorphs  (Read 14159 times)

Offline JoeRugby

• Scientist
this post/ thread was originally for my Mars Attacks progress but I wanted to expand it and have all my sci fi stuff in it. So there were less threads I had to update.

You'll eventually some of the following in this thread
Mars attacks
Infinity
Deadzone
40k (inc inquisimunda/ -][-28mm, and some true scale space marines)
And any other sci fi stuff I pick up

Mars attacks

I'm trying to work my way through the large box of Mars Attacks toys I got from the kickstarter.

First step is getting the base box set done.

Marines

The minis are ok some better than others and some with hardly any facial detail (this might have been me being heavy handed with the spray mind you)

I tried to get 'em to look like the marines from Battle: LA, which is why they're in desert fatigues. Finding a good reference photo was a right pain.

Initially they were a lot yellower but I re-base coated them in grey and added the camo again to make it less deserty.

Heroes

Only 2 heroes finished so far Eva and Prince Charming from Shrek.

Eva I've tried to get her looking like a cop - Duh. Not a lot of detail on her shotgun (again this might have been me being too heavy with the spray paint.

Only issue with Charming was a bendy sword but hot water to the rescue

Martians

I love these guys

They were fun to paint and there was a decent amount of detail on all the models (for board game plastics)

The only niggle I had was the helmets not fitting very well.

Scenery

My collection of cars.

I've decided to keep the boxed game pieces as their individual parts so I can keep playing with them.

For the rest of the scenery I got in the kickstarter.  I'm going to glue and base them, Fill in and sculpt up the brink detail in the connectors/gaps and replace the windows with clear styrene.

Current Mars attacks WIP pile

Couldn't help but start the big stompy robot before I finished the rest of the heroes.

Thanks for looking

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 03:06:59 PM by JoeRugby »

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
Re: Mars Attacks....Cardiff!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 05:31:12 AM »
I like the animation in these figures .... I particularly like the model of the police car that has collided with a lamppost, that has been well thought out and implemented.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 05:42:13 AM »
Ma this inspiring. I really should get on with my kickstarter as well. I was so disapppointed in the quality of the Martians that I stalled in the painting.

Your thread is making me feel the Martian vibe again.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 07:19:36 AM »
These look real good. I'm truly impressed that you've got so much done. So far I've only painted three of the Tiger Corps figures. I wouldn't even have those done if I hadn't wanted something different for my Star Wars project. Having all those Martians done is just awesome. 

Offline panzerfaust65

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 04:30:13 PM »
really impressive painting top notch....I will have to get started on my kickstarter mars attacks stuff too now.
get to the chopperrrr!

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 05:20:04 PM »
This is the one game I have major regrets about NOT going in on the KS campaign. I wasn't that interested in the source material, but after buying and playing the core game I really love it. I wish I'd gone in on the full thing, because it's a lot more costly at retail.

Great painting progress so far. I bet your games look tops. Have you started in on any of the modular scenery yet?
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline JoeRugby

• Scientist
Re: JoeRugby's assorted Sci-fi thread - 23/08/15 - Mars attacks & Colony87
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 06:13:45 PM »
Thanks guys

@ obsidian3d not done anything with the majority of the scenery yet. Just bad coated the boxed game scenery.
Once I have the chance I'll start planning out what I'm going to do with the giant bag of tiles I've got. :)

I decided to incorporate my Mars attacks stuff in with my other sci-fi miniatures, so there were less threads to manage.

So in this thread you'll see some
Mars attacks
Infinity
Deadzone
40k (inc inquisimunda/ -][-28mm, and some true scale space marines)
And lot of other things.

First up some More Mars attacks characters

I didn't have the patience to do freehand all over bucks shirt so he's just got the one bit of pattern on the back.

Lots more Mars attacks minis to do.

The group at the front all need the hot water treatment.

The grey minis are my Anvil industry kickstarter minis and some Republic commandos waiting to be based.

My first painted Colony 87 mini

I love these minis and I should have a couple more done soon.

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 02:18:11 PM by JoeRugby »

Offline JoeRugby

• Scientist
Re: JoeRugby's assorted Sci-fi thread - 25/08/15 - Infinity
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 02:17:27 PM »
More progress done on my op-icestorm stuff
 Fc.
Infinity

Finished the mobile brigada and Orc from the Op-icestorm set

Mobile brigada

Orc

Here's the Orc with the other Pan-O minis I've finished so far.

I'm going to try to get the rest of the Pan-O finished before I go back to the Nomads.

Both need some decals to finish them off but as no one makes decals fo infinity and I have been unsuccessful making my own this will have to do.

Thanks for looking.

Offline JoeRugby

• Scientist
Dreamforge Eisenkern Stormtroopers

I've wanted to have a sci-fi German force for a while and these models are awesome.
Some of the best plastic minis I've put together for ages. I'll probably use them as Imperial guard storm troopers in anything 40k universe related.

The Eisenkern fluff shouldn't be that had to merge with 40k for my own Narrative. Same as the Warpath universe fluff being mostly the same but being formed by rouge traders who have been forgotten by the imperium until now.

I'll get some Bundeswehr decals for them at some point, and I'll get the accessories set before making any more of the 20 I've picked up.

Anvil industries Republic commando test mini

I'm waiting on some Union Jack decals from fallout hobbies for the left shoulders.

Another awesome mini. I picked up a squad of Republic commandos in anvils recent sale. I might use them for vets in my Albion imperial guard army or near future Brits in anything else I play. (Maybe up armoured U.N.I.T. troops for Dr who :))

Thanks for looking

Offline JoeRugby

• Scientist
Re: JoeRugby's assorted Sci-fi thread - 29/08/15 - Eisenkern Stormtroopers +
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 11:20:56 PM »

Some more awesome minis from the Colony87 Kickstarter & some fluff I've thought of.

Sorry for the poor pics

Dave - Missionary of the Machine God

"To serve God is to become closer to God, especially if that's what the Magos has told you you should do.
Thus Dave was sent out into the void to spread the charity and teachings of the machine God to others.
Traveling from town to town, world to world. Dave spreads the prayer of "knocking it off and on again" in the name of the machine God."

Emissary of the Toad Empire.

"The Toad Empire was at the brink of collapse, defeated at every turn by the forces of the U.A.F.
Pushed back to their home planet, The Toads waited for the final attack that would finish them off.
And kept waiting...by some miracle the attack never came, scouts were dispatched and came back with news that the U.A.F had been butchered.
Humanity had saved the Toad Empire?
The Supreme ruler of the Toad Empire K.O.M.P.L.E.X, now rebuilds the empire and sends his most deserving servants to visit the Human empire and thank them.
Truly the Human empire is amazing........I mean not one Toad has ever wanted to come home."

Obviously inspired by these guys.

I love these minis, I can't wait for the next Kickstarter.

Thanks for reading and looking next up more Martians

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
Re: JoeRugby's assorted Sci-fi thread - 24/11/15 - Colony 87
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 06:40:38 AM »
Great looking minis, and you've done good by them. Your color choices for the toad guy is just about perfect. Nice and colorful, just how I like my science fiction.

Offline JoeRugby

• Scientist
Big post......

Finished - Mars attacks - Martian Marines

Pics taken without the helmets as they don't photograph well and my pics are bad enough already.

Finished - Mars Attacks/Antenocities workshop -Crashed Saucer

Love this bit of scenery

Finished - Anvil industry's - Natalya Federici PROTOS Avatar

Fluff from the anvil website for her
Natalya Federici, Vargo's daughter, heir and prodigy, is a rising star within the new Republic, in overall command of the Republic's armed forces. In the face of the Unity Councils numerical superiority, Natalyas determined and brilliant tactical leadership has allowed the Republic to hold the line for now. Natalya fights on the front line through her PROTOS battle Avatar, and will directly lead one of the SHARD strikes against Unity City. The PROTOS avatar is an advanced prototype, controlled by Natalya from a distance with a remote Mind-Link, she ocupies the PROTOS as though it were her own body, experienceing the world and slaying her foes through its eyes.

I was trying to get it to look like the Metropolis robot.

All the anvil stuff I've had so far has been amazingly cast and this mini was no exception.

Finished - Colony 87 - Lord- Governor Manduc Greiss

Love these minis two more to finish from the set before the next wave Kickstarter in February.

Painting in progress pile

Thanks for looking and sorry for the shoddy pics

Offline JoeRugby

• Scientist
So I built a diy light box frame from some of those IKEA led click lights, tissues and a cardboard box (all very Blue Peter)

Not amazing but def better in my opinion.

WIP Mawe

I'm unsure about the skin tone... I wanted them to look similar to the dog creatures from DOOM so the skin tone should be lighter really.

What do you think leave the skin as is or start again and make it paler/pallid?

As always thanks for looking.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
Just come across this thread, you've got an interesting collection building up there.
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline JoeRugby

• Scientist
Thanks Doc

More experiments with my lighting set up

Complete fail initially

but managed to get it better

Took some better pics of Anvil industry's Avatar

Finished Morat

Eyes were a pain on this guy,but that might be down to me doing the eyes last instead of first.

I wanted a muted colour scheme for the mini so the face and white hair poped.

I do need to sort out his base but I haven't decided on what I want for the combined bases yet.