Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 07:37:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696625
  • Total Topics: 118776
  • Online Today: 454
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Druidic Warband - Ideas and Help  (Read 4179 times)

Offline Calmdown

• Librarian
  • Wordy
    • Bad Karma
Druidic Warband - Ideas and Help
« on: July 24, 2015, 05:46:37 PM »
Hi Guys

Looking for a bit of help with something! Now, I know the answer to any sort of "can I use this model" question is "yes, of course you can" but I'm after opinions on how the models fit with the setting, whether you think there are better alternatives, and your collective wisdom on other options that I don't know about.

Ever since I played Hordes a long time ago, I've wanted a reason to use these models:

http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/circle-orboros

and particularly, I always loved these models:

http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/circle-orboros/units/druids-of-orboros

and generally, I love druidic-style stuff in fantasy.

Now, obviously this range is somewhat limited for Frostgrave and there will be some count-as models in there, but I do prefer to keep my counts-as as close to the official weapon choices as possible to avoid confusing people on the tabletop (especially when I play oneoffs in future with people I don't know, etc)

So what I'm thinking is this:

Wizard:

Apprentice:

Thugs:

Crossbowmen:

Trackers (a bit counts-as here, but they *definitely* look like they are Trackers!):

Barbarians (2 hander, no armour - my favourite models, and my favourite Frostgrave soldier type):

Knight (minus the wolf-mounted guy - he's a character model with no variations but I'm unlikely to use more than one knight)

Templars (theyre quite armoured, anyway)

Obviously that leaves quite a few gaps in models for things I'd like to use multiples of - notably Archers and Treasure Hunters - but I'm sure there are some good models for this out there that will fit with the theme. Alternatively I'm happy to not use Archers and just use all Crossbowmen to fit the theme!

What do you guys think? Do they fit the setting, or do they look out of place? And if you think they look OK, do you think there are any other good ranges out there that may mesh with them well - or any ranges that might even just be straight up better?
Frostgrave blog and downloads: www.bad-barma.net (click me!)

Hey Frostgrave fans! Click to join us on Facebook!

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline darthgus

• Assistant
    • Hobbyists Blog
Re: Druidic Warband - Ideas and Help
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 06:03:02 PM »
I like where your going with this.

My only observation is that it is like going to make your warband look "to coherent". Apart form the wizard and his apprentice everyone else is just a hireling. A bit more variety and mismatch might help.

Offline Calmdown

• Librarian
  • Wordy
    • Bad Karma
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 06:09:43 PM »

My only observation is that it is like going to make your warband look "to coherent". Apart form the wizard and his apprentice everyone else is just a hireling. A bit more variety and mismatch might help.

Good point. I'd probably be OK with that though to some extent. Their gold costs could represent the cost of shipping them from their home forests, and models from other ranges could be other druids friendly to the cause.

Now you mention it though, it actually makes me happ.y that there will be mismatches rather than trying to make more things match. Good idea, thanks!

Offline Paboook

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 09:00:52 PM »
One of my favourite miniature ranges is Celtos. Many of their Gael figures were sculpted by Kev White.

http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/PDF/CeltosGaels.pdf

http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/Celtos/The%20Gaels.html

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 09:18:36 PM »

While technically true, I think that the modeling aspect of the game would overshadow the technical fact that the henchmen are simply hirelings.  It could always be argued that the henchmen are loyal to a certain cause, but simply require financing for their equipment and upkeep.  For instance, with a religious oriented Thaumaturge, it wouldn't be unreasonable that he would assemble a group of people who are followers of the religion and that might share a certain symbol or aesthetic.

Offline grendal

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 09:18:47 PM »
I don't see a problem with a warband looking "coherent"

I am working on 2 different concepts for some

a witch warband with Wargames Factory Orcs (i.e. old school tokien orcs) as the henchmen

a warband based around Reaper miniatures "Derro" (3 guys in a pack + the wizard)

I already have the "Company of the Silver Hart"...a high elf warband using old Chainmail and WFB figues...with some LoTR elves thrown in.

I think your Circle warband is great!

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 09:25:02 PM »
I plan at some point to double duty my Otherworld minis for a Frostgrave warband....
Maybe undead.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 10:00:46 PM »
I'm not really foliar with the warm a hordes minis but I do like the ones you've pictured, would make a lovely looking warband.

For the gaps how about GW wood elves? Sure they are a little more elfin than the PP models but they do have a similar look.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Wood-Elf-Waywatchers

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Wood-Elf-Highborn-with-Great-Weapon

Etc

As for coherency I've stuck with a decidedly old school style so it's early citadel, heartbreaker and grenadier all the way, with some reaper bones for the big gribblies.

Offline Timmek

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 10:15:48 PM »
Kaya is a really nice apprentice for nearly every school  :D

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 01:13:30 PM »
I think they look great as a warband.

The basic idea of Frostgrave was that all Wizards recruited from the same 'pool' of henchmen outside the City, but as the series continues that'll be changing anyway, the second plastic set of soldiers will be getting more into a Theme for your warband.

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 02:31:48 PM »
I really like the Tharn miniatures, personally if you have gaps to fill, just convert the trackers, only a couple of them have poses that are not conducive to conversions, and if it helps GW wood elf arms / hands fit the models well.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 06:37:39 AM »
I think they look great as a warband.

The basic idea of Frostgrave was that all Wizards recruited from the same 'pool' of henchmen outside the City, but as the series continues that'll be changing anyway, the second plastic set of soldiers will be getting more into a Theme for your warband.

Good to hear that there will be another plastic set in the works.  Is there anything you can share about it yet?