Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:14:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sources for alternate Wizard/Apprentice Figures?  (Read 8380 times)

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
Sources for alternate Wizard/Apprentice Figures?
« on: August 07, 2015, 09:27:21 PM »
Now, the North Star Figures are very nice, and it is pretty likely I end up buying a few of them for certain magic schools.  :) For others though, they just don't fit my vision. What are some good places to look for alternatives?

Offline Ajsalium

• Mad Scientist
    • Role 'n' Roll
Re: Sources for alternate Wizard/Apprentice Figures?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 09:40:06 PM »
Here you go:
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/human%20wizard
218 (so far) human wizards from Reaper Miniatures. That should keep you entertained, if nothing else! lol (And trust me, there are some true gems there)
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 09:42:35 PM »
Be warned that Reaper miniatures are significantly taller than the Frostgrave miniatures.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 11:24:02 PM »
Negative...be warned that Reaper are all OVER THE PLACE with regard to scale.  I would say most are on the larger scale though. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 12:13:56 AM »
Negative...be warned that Reaper are all OVER THE PLACE with regard to scale.  I would say most are on the larger scale though. 

Lol ain't that the truth! I've had some weird combo's in size from Reaper.

I use some of the older Reaper figs that have been turned to Bones (it was what was available) and they fit perfectly fine with my Frostgrave stuff. Some of my other Reaper stuff, like the Savage Worlds figures are a good head taller for the most part, although height varies amongst them too.

Wizards in 28mm are pretty common, do you have a particular style/look that you're after?
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 01:48:04 AM »
Black Tree have some nice wizards, I've got one in my painting queue right now. I've also got wizard models from GW (mostly discontinued), Ral Partha, Celtos, Mantic and Gripping Beast, as well as North Star.

I may have gone a little OTT on the wizard front. :?

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
  • "Down with this sort of thing!" (Careful now)
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 10:00:05 AM »
I've got tonnes on here from a variety of places

http://thedicebaglady.net/frostgrave-female-miniatures/

but in a nutshell the best ones are Reaper (I have loads more en route from these), Otherworld, and Heresy/Eolith.

I really like this one

(shes got a bit more cleavage than what I usually stock but was too cool and perfect for Frostgrave to pass over!)
http://thedicebaglady.net/reaper-miniatures-winter-witch-prestige-class-60149/

Cheers
Annie

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 10:40:21 AM »
Well, if anyone would want to do an all goblin or all halfling warband, my goblin and slim halfling ranges both contain wizards (among others):

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 04:57:02 PM »
Lol ain't that the truth! I've had some weird combo's in size from Reaper.

I use some of the older Reaper figs that have been turned to Bones (it was what was available) and they fit perfectly fine with my Frostgrave stuff. Some of my other Reaper stuff, like the Savage Worlds figures are a good head taller for the most part, although height varies amongst them too.

Wizards in 28mm are pretty common, do you have a particular style/look that you're after?

Somewhat, yes. The problem is, I don't really know what it is till I see it.  lol  The 3 schools that intrigue me the most are Elementalist, Necromancer, and Summoner.  The necromancer is one I might use the North Star figure for, as I have no real problem with the standard look for those guys.

For the Elementalist, I'm definitely taking inspiration from Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra: East Asian martial artists. I know Reaper has a bunch.

For the Summoner, I'm honestly not sure...I just know that the look with the giant turban is not doing it for me.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 07:23:12 PM »
In that case, you want to look at the Alkemy Jade Triad figures for your elementalists. Especially the Alchemists: http://alkemy-the-game.com/shop/category.php?id_category=27

Offline Darnok

• Student
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 08:45:53 PM »
The scale is not that big an issue really: humans come in lots of different sizes. Unless it's an extreme difference, it should not be a big deal*.

Games Workshop still does some very nice human wizards. Reaper has a vast range of appropriate models. Otherworld Miniatures has some great models too (and not only wizards, but adventurers, NPCs and mosnters as well).

* ... personal preferences are important though, some folks just don't like variation in sizes

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 06:11:12 AM »
The scale is not that big an issue really: humans come in lots of different sizes. Unless it's an extreme difference, it should not be a big deal*.

I've found the Reaper Bones miniatures that I have to be significantly larger than the Frostgrave Soldiers.  The Reaper miniatures would be 7 - 8 feet tall in comparison.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 08:44:39 AM »
Usually I am not the magician-type with tabletops, so I have less of the minis. However, I always thought the wizards in confro/rackham very "wizardly". Hope the link is working. In case just google wizard, confrontation and rackham. They may be hard to get nowadays.

http://www.josephwu.com/dnd/minibase/index.php?action=show_list&category_id=&cur_page=35&search_on=1&search_type=&keywords=AND%20gender='M'%20AND%20race%20LIKE%20'%human%'&search_category=&order_by=id&s_gender=M&s_chrclass=&s_race=human&s_details=

My favorit

and

The second I have, like to use it as demonhunter of some sort.

Both not painted by me. Still not sure how to assemble my warband and which minis to use.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 08:56:49 AM by Drachenklinge »
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 09:42:52 AM »
Nobody's mentioned Hasslefree yet. They have some very nice wizards in their fantasy range, this is their latest.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 10:39:18 AM »
Ooh I like that one.