Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:40:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hello, A new adventurer comes forth  (Read 2211 times)

Offline Garro

• Lurker
Hello, A new adventurer comes forth
« on: September 07, 2015, 04:32:41 PM »

Hello all,

I was interested in starting a blog here to chart my progress into the world of Frostgrave. I have been so inspired by the game and what I have seen here I have started to make a board, terrain and bring a warband to venture forth.

Having already had a few test games against my nephew and brother, we have got a good grasp of the rules and have found it immensely fun, and we are now planning to start a campaign this coming weekend hopefully.
 We have also played a few different wizards to see what kind we like. So far my nephew has played as an elementalist but now favours the sigilist. My brother has tried the healer but now favours the enchanter and I myself was originally a chronomancer but have finally settled on a summoner.

Just a quick question for people. If I summon a demon do I have to empower the spell in order to get a major demon on the table? Also same question but if I fail the spell, is the worst I can get a minor demon attacking me?

Thanks for the replies and I will hopefully have some pics up soon  :)

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Hello, A new adventurer comes forth
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 05:14:43 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forums  8)

Offline Old Coast

• Librarian
    • plastic legions
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 05:36:19 PM »

Just a quick question for people. If I summon a demon do I have to empower the spell in order to get a major demon on the table? Also same question but if I fail the spell, is the worst I can get a minor demon attacking me?

As far as I read:

You can empower the spell "only" to successfully cast it, as far as "what" you summon you must roll
so for a major demon you would need to roll a 13+ , (and that roll cannot be empowered)
IF you roll a "1" while casting the spell , you cannot empower the spell to avoid rolling the "1" ,
you just roll on the chart and what ever you summon attacks you.
Check out my adventures in lead and plastic http://plasticlegions.blogspot.com

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 06:15:47 PM »
You can empower the spell to get a major demon, see the reply from Joe here.

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 06:19:48 PM »
Hey Garro, welcome to the forum and to Frostgrave, I hope you have many great adventures in the Frozen City.

You may empower a spell whether or not the casting roll was successful. So, yes, a Summoner would need to empower the spell to get a major demon - or work on improving the spell, or get some magical help.

Offline Old Coast

• Librarian
    • plastic legions
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 03:34:33 AM »
You may empower a spell whether or not the casting roll was successful. So, yes, a Summoner would need to empower the spell to get a major demon - or work on improving the spell, or get some magical help.

So much for me quoting the rules :?   So my Summoner could empower both sides of the spell??..
say I needed a 14..and rolled a "9" I can burn 5 health to make the cast successful..then I roll to see what I summon..
I roll an "8" i dont think a minor demon is going to cut it here so I can burn another 5 to summon a Major Demon?  correct?

What about the "1" you can't empower that away correct?

Thanks! 

Offline JohnDSD2

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 08:23:57 AM »
@Old Coast

There is no second roll for the demon type.
'The type of Demon summoned depends on the amount by which the spellcaster succeeded on his casting roll....'

So a starting wizard needs a 12-17 to summon an Imp, 18-24 will get a minor demon and 25+ a major demon. So its either a health zapping empowerment or a few level advances to be getting a major demon.

It might be worth playing a house rule that a natural 20 always gives a major demon, just to keep it interesting. 

Offline Old Coast

• Librarian
    • plastic legions
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 05:15:52 PM »
@Old Coast

There is no second roll for the demon type.
'The type of Demon summoned depends on the amount by which the spellcaster succeeded on his casting roll....'

So a starting wizard needs a 12-17 to summon an Imp, 18-24 will get a minor demon and 25+ a major demon. So its either a health zapping empowerment or a few level advances to be getting a major demon.

It might be worth playing a house rule that a natural 20 always gives a major demon, just to keep it interesting. 

yeah no doubt, Thanks much man, not sure how I misinterpreted that, that totally slipped by in our first game...
makes sense, I thought a 33% chance of getting a major demon with a 2nd roll was bit easy...then Joe said the roll could be empowered, it seemed way to easy...that makes alot more sense..dumping a couple level ups into the core spell as a summoner seems like a good idea now! :)