Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:53:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686453
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battlelore! A big thread  (Read 8555 times)

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
Battlelore! A big thread
« on: November 03, 2008, 12:29:29 PM »
Hi all.  I've been posting this blog-esque thread about painting and playing Battlelore on a few other sited.  I can't believe I totally forgot about putting it here...where people really appreciate miniature painting.

This first post is a re-cap of what I've already posted elsewhere, hope you enjoy...

The big BATTLELORE thread

A little over a week ago I went to the FLGS looking for something to grab my interest.  I found it in an odd place for me…the boardgame section.  I’m generally a RPG and Mini guy, not much of a board or card game guy.  When I saw Battlelroe, however, something clicked! 

I had been really missing playing “large scale” miniature wargames since my WFB days.  I missed everything about the hobby:  Painting, building terrain, reading the books, playing the game.  But, as with most good things, you suffer from burnout sooner or later.  I played Warhammer Fantasy Battles every week for 8 years!  To be honest I got so totally burned out that every time I even think about getting back into the game I cringe.  While I have many really good memories, there were things about the hobby; there were a few things I just couldn’t get around.  First, finding a really good group to play WFB isn’t as easy as you would think.  Second, I really don’t have the space like I used to (I used to own a house, and now live in an apartment) for the plethora of terrain and minis to effectively enjoy the hobby.  And, to be honest, I really got sick of miniatures that I had to handle like eggshells when I transported, stored, or even played with them.

Needless to say, this is the reason Battlelore looked so good!  Large scale fantasy battles…but with rules that don’t try to simulate battle as much as provide a good entertaining game.  Still, the feel of the actual battle is there because of the way the game looks, with all its little miniatures and exciting battlefield game board.  This game would take up hardly any space, even if I do decide to build a more dramatic 3D game board to play it on.  The minis are so small and light that even if painted, I could still toss them around without having to worry about them chipping or getting damaged.  The game is something that is easy and fast enough to learn and play that I can play it with anyone without much notice.  Finally, the game has plenty of expansions…so there is even more fun stuff once you play out the core game!

The game is a little on the expensive side, so I did all the required research.  I read all the reviews.  The best one I found was on RPGnet: http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/12/12616.phtml and then found this excellent demo movie that really tells you about the game, how to play, and what you get: http://www.boardgameswithscott.com/?cat=2 (Needless to say, there are cool videos for lots of other games there too).  Finally I downloaded the rules themselves, gave it a read, and decided that yes, I would enjoy this game, get a lot of play time out of it, and that it was defiantly worth the money: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/battlelore/support.shtml

So, a day later I ordered the game (and the next day I ordered all the supplements too…but that’s another story :)).  This morning the box arrived on my porch and I opened it and looked with wide eyed glee at all the little plastic miniatures.

Now, after doing this I realized that there are probably 3 types of people who get this game.  The first are those who never plan on painting the miniatures and just got it because it looks like a cool board game.  The second are those who buy it and keep saying that “someday” I’ll paint those miniatures.  IMHO these people are probably never going to actually do it…because they aren’t the third type of person. The third type of person is the one who opens up the box, looks at the figures and starts to tremble with an uncontrollable urge to see this entire army painted and marching across the battlefield!  Fortunately for me, I’m the third type!

So, in any case, this is just a thread to share my experiences with the game, and help keep myself motivated as I paint those 200+ miniatures (and hopefully some terrain).  I have a friend who I plan on playing the 10 part campaign with on my rotating days off.  I hope to post some type of brief battle reports on these and keep a running total of who is the big winner.  Beyond that the majority of the thread will probably be pictures of the minis I paint as I get units finished.  Hopefully, if time permits, this thread will also include some terrain building pics (but, we’ll see).

If anyone else wants to talk about the game, ask questions (from the professionals who will visit the thread…that wouldn’t be me, in case you’re wondering), post pictures of their own, or simply share in the Battlelore love, please feel free to do so.

Part 2

Well I’ll start right off with pics of the first troop type I got painted.  Needless to say I decided to start with the easiest type (mostly armor).  There is also significantly less of this troop type than many of the other ones.  This is the Red Infantry.  Tough but slow.

I’m using a grey primer, and regular craft paints.  I was going to mass paint these, but, decided they were too cool, once I had them in the palm of my hand, to simply block out colors.  They are small, so I’m not trying to make showpieces out of them, just using basic technique to get decent results.

I’m using an industrial glossy sealer. Needless to say mini painting purists will have issue with this, but, since I play to actually spend a lot of time playing with the minis, and don’t want to have to worry about how I store them (I plan on just dumping them into plastic containers) the glossy sealer is much more resilient than the matte.

These took about 3 hours from start to finish.  The hardest part was actually the banners.  Since the stickers are already attached, I had to paint prime around them (instead of spraying them).

And for those of you who appreciate scale, and haven’t seen an actual Battlelore piece.

Part 3

I got the next troop type done, the Green Infantry.  Not really sure how long these took as I sort of picked at them all day here and there in-between other things.  Needles to say I picked the second easiest troop type.  Only 4 units of these too.  These were a little more difficult and time consuming than the Red Infantry, because there were more details and colors, not to mention I had to do a wash on the flesh tone.

I’ve established the base color for each side.  It’s not dramatic, but it will set a unifying color for the armies and differentiate between the two forces.  For the French we will have brown as the base color and for the English we will go with grey.

The close up might not look that good…but this is a huge rendition of a really small figure.  They look a lot better when you see them sitting on the tabletop in mass.

Finally, I’m sticking with the same shield motif throughout the entire army, half a yellow shield for the French, and the white stripe for the English.  This, along with the base color (and the banner style, of course), should make opposing forces really easy to tell apart and set up.

Starting on Red Cav next!  I’ll finish them and post pictures as time permits.  I had the day off yesterday by myself, so could really tinker.  Today I have the family, so I’ll probably not be as productive (on the painting end anyway :)). 

Part 4

Taking a little break from painting my Red Cav to rest my eyes and figured I’d put a personal spin on the story.  As I mentioned, I used to have a ton of space, but now I keep things pretty compact.  Here are some pictures of my painting space. 

That is the end of my Kitchen cupboard :).  MY wife cringes when I haul out the painting stuff because she knows that I’ll dominate that corner of the kitchen with my mess for a while (although I do usually pick it all up every couple days).  I keep all my painting stuff tucked away in my closet in that plastic container, so, if you’re new to the painting hobby (or thinking about getting into it) and think that you need a bunch of stuff to get started, think again.  A few small brushes, a couple dozen bottles of paints (those are $.99 bottles you see on my table), some primer, and sealer are just about all you need to do the job.

You can see the Red Cav (just started in this picture) and the units I already painted in the background.

Here I am me several hours later.  Since I’m working at the cupboard I can’t sit down, so I paint everything these days standing up and hunched over.  Oddly enough my back and legs don’t get sore.  Kind of like playing wargames where you always seem to want to stand up to command your army.  That said, my wife and I are looking for a house these days…so hopefully I’ll have a nice desk to paint at again one of these days :).

You can see the Red Cav is coming along nicely.  I’m going out to eat and to a haunted house (Halloween and all) in a bit, but I’m hoping to have them done by tomorrow morning.

Part 5

And here we are again.  The Red Cav was more challenging than the other models…because there was twice as much stuff to paint, duh!  I’ve never been a huge fan of painting horses, but these weren’t too bad.

I painted them up as normal, but didn’t really like the way they looked so I gave the horses a bull brown wash, but not the rider.  This makes the rider stick out a little more and the Horse is the second thing you notice (well, in real life anyway).

I like the way they came out, but, looking at the pictures, I think I should have taken 2 seconds to paint the horse’s eyes.  I might go back and do that…but, then again, the horses are a lot smaller than the pictures make them look, and they are probably fine the way they are.  They aren’t Heavy Metal showpieces, but the look pretty good on the table and should function well in the game.

Well, I’m going to spend the day clothes shopping (:P) with my wife and one of my daughters, so not much painting going on today.  It’s back to work on Monday, so painting will slow down a little.  Probably won’t have pictures every day now…but who knows.

Next are the Green archers.  There are twice as many of them as any troop type I’ve worked on yet, and they have more components (a sheathed sword, quiver, and bow).  We’ll see how it goes :).

Part 6

See…told you the work week would bring my painting to a crawl.  I had things going on every night this week, and tonight is D&D night, so I won’t get any painting done.  It’s like a teenage boy and sex, the one thing I want to do the most, and think about all day, is the one thing I can’t seem to be able to do!

In any case, I managed to steal a few minutes here and there to get these French Archers done.  I was hoping to get all of the archers done in half this time, but, I figured I’d break up the French and English so I could get a motivating sense of accomplishment (and get something posted on this thread ;)).  Oh well, I’ll start on the English archers next.  As you can see, all Frenchmen have black hair.  All Englishmen are going to apparently be blond. :)

Since you’re never too old to experiment, I tried something a little different with these minis.  After a fairly good base coat, I gave the whole thing a wash with a sort of dirty dark coffee brown, and then followed up with some drybrushing.  I like the results well enough, but, wish I would have went a little more brown, a little less black on the wash, as it dulled the flesh tone considerably, even after some flesh drybrushing.

Part 7

Man, work has been CRAZY!  I’m a city letter carrier in the USA (I deliver the mail in the city), and with the election coming to a close the mail has been insane.  I’ve been working 9-10 hour days, and with everything else going on there has been little time for painting.

I’ve been pecking away at the English archers and they are almost done (tomorrow I hope), but I took a little break to paint something completely different…my lore goblets!

You can’t really see on the pics. But I lined the bottom of the cup and the bottom of the interior of the cup with black felt.  I also replaced the lore tokens with some lilac gaming stones…I’m a little disappointed that they don’t look very purple when they aren’t in a bunch.  Oh well, maybe I’ll find some better purple ones.

Part 8

Whew!  I finally got those English Archers done!  It seems like I’ve been working on those forever.  Not because it took a lot of work, but, because I just couldn’t find time to paint them, even though I wanted to 24/7.  Painting for 20 minutes a day doesn’t make for a lot of productivity.  Hopefully I’ll have more time this coming week (and weekend).

So, I’m pretty happy with the way these turned out.  I used the same technique as I did for the French Archers, but, I went a little browner, and less black, on the wash with these.  I also painted the wash a bit heavier.  They came out well, if a little dark in comparison to the rest of the figs I’ve painted so far.

I made the mistake of spraying the sealer a bit to close, so they are a little too glossy.  Nothing that is going to cause any real problems (or require fixing), but, it’s something to keep in mind for future sealing procedures ;).

Of course…there is no rest for the weary!  Primed and ready to be painted are the French Regulars.  Man, there are a lot more of them than anything I’ve painted so far for Battlelore…and when I’m done I have just as many to do for the English.

Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Battlelore! A big thread
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 02:34:43 PM »
I wonder where actually is the difference to other miniature games? In the end you have at least the same amount of miniatures to paint and start working on some terrain as well.

Not that I'm criticizing anything here - the game does look nice and any game looks a lot better with painted minis or playing pieces.

I must admit I have problems painting huge armies. It's easier for me to paint 5 minis now, buy a few more and paint them and so on. The idea of having to paint 200 minis is rather intimidating to me.

Still it's nice looking at the pics and always interesting to learn about some other game. So please keep us informed and don't hesitate to post a few more pics as you go along.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 02:55:50 PM »
I wonder where actually is the difference to other miniature games? In the end you have at least the same amount of miniatures to paint and start working on some terrain as well.

I must admit I have problems painting huge armies. It's easier for me to paint 5 minis now, buy a few more and paint them and so on. The idea of having to paint 200 minis is rather intimidating to me.

There are a few things about this game that I like more than any other wargame I’ve personally played/collected/painted.  The first is the fact that it is really more focused on being a game, rather than a simulation of actual combat.  Sure it has the feel of a mass battle, it looks as cool, it has the same type of tactics…but, it has the streamlined simplicity and fun of a board game.  Get together with some friends, throw some dice, have fun.  It’s as satisfying as Warhammer Fantasy Battles, but, without the prep or playtime.

It should be mentioned that this game isn’t really meant to be painted, or for you to make terrain…some people just enjoy this sort of thing.  What I really find cool about the whole thing is that I can store the whole thing in a few small plastic containers and the game box (and that includes all the expansions I’ve purchased).  When I played other miniature wargames I had a basement full of crap, and when I went to play somewhere else I had to pack and haul tons of stuff.  With this game you just have to grab, go, and play.  Even if I make a complete line of terrain for this game, the scale and size of the play surface mean I'll be able to store everything in a plastic box...not an entire room.

As far as 200 minis (I actually have over 300 now) being daunting…well, I find it fun, challenging, and at times relaxing.  I love painting minis, that isn't one of the things I want to get away from.  Different strokes for different folks :).

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 03:29:29 PM »
Thank you very much for sharing!  I agree with your views on the BL battle system, but I must confess that I haven't continued painting my BL armies for over a year now   :'( ( due to lack of time and other projects posted here on LAF, one of the most time consuming being our WWII hexbased/card driven rules (I hope to have them on the net (for free) by the end of this year).  If you are interested in games in line with the Battlelore system, have a look at (free) the rules we have created over the years:

http://www.tsoa.be/html/fuseliers.html

BTW: a hint to make your BL figs look even better with little or no effort: use GW's new washes, you'll be pleased with the result!

Rudi
do visit my websites & photobucket:
http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
http://www.tsoa.be/
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/geudens_photos/

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 04:41:39 PM »
Thank you very much for sharing!  I agree with your views on the BL battle system, but I must confess that I haven't continued painting my BL armies for over a year now   :'( ( due to lack of time and other projects posted here on LAF, one of the most time consuming being our WWII hexbased/card driven rules (I hope to have them on the net (for free) by the end of this year).  If you are interested in games in line with the Battlelore system, have a look at (free) the rules we have created over the years:

http://www.tsoa.be/html/fuseliers.html

BTW: a hint to make your BL figs look even better with little or no effort: use GW's new washes, you'll be pleased with the result!

Rudi

Cool, I'll take a look.  I'll also check out the washes next time I'm in a town with a FLGS.  I'm simply using a paint wash (paint and water) right now.  I never much liked ink washes.  I wouldn't mind using my "dip" as it makes a nice wash...unfortunately you can't paint anymore once you apply that, and I want to followthrough with some drybrushing.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 06:01:37 PM »
The GW washes don't have any shine like the inks, and also dry very quickly - no waiting around for 12 hours!
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 01:51:31 AM »
So today was supposed to be the start of my big campaign with my buddy Steve.  Alas, he didn’t notice my email till it was too late, and I was too stupid to just call.  Our start date has been pushed back to next week (Monday or Tuesday).  That’s fine with me, it’ll give me more time to get miniatures painted.

So, today I spend some time putting Blue Infantry on the assembly line.  Things were going good for a while, but then I decided to take a break and do something different!

The Blue Infantry watch in anticipation as I move them to the side.

I decided to whip out my super-limited-edition War Council expansion!  I dumped out the contents of the box.  It contained several metal washers, some magnets (I had to scrape sticky stuff off the back of) and what looked like some plastic 1:72 scale fantasy miniatures from Caesar.

I suppose I could have gone bigger, but I wanted to stay plastic, and small.  Still, the 1:72 scale is probably about 5mm larger than the standard Battlelore mini.  This looks good because it makes the War Council look a bit more dramatic, without making it look like it isn’t part of the game.

I glued the minis to the metal washers to give them some weight and make them stick to the magnets.

After painting up the magnets and the miniatures I have a one of a kind custom War Council.  Here we have a 3rd level Commander, a 2nd level Wizard and Warrior, and a 1st level Rogue and Cleric.  Battle On! 

Now, back to those Blue Infantry.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 04:20:20 AM »
Vary nice, cant wait to see the whole force
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 12:53:44 PM »
Not a lot to report other than another busy week.  I've been plugging away at the French Blue Regulars, and they should be done shortly (if I can find a few hours to paint).

I do want to say that last night was D&D night, and, after painting BL figures for a couple weeks I was totally shocked to play with 28mm figures. Honestly, I kept picking up my figures and wondering if the GM had went out and got new, larger minis.  28mm minis looked absolutely HUGE!  They were like action figures, and the 15mms I'm painting seem like normal miniature size to me now.

Freaky!

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 05:51:48 PM »
Well, I’d be lying if I didn’t say I was a little bit embarrassed at how long it took me to get the French Blue Regulars done.  On the other hand, I’m very happy with the way they turned out.  Nothing like looking upon ranks and ranks of soldiers! :)

The urgent, impatient part of me keeps saying I have to hurry up and get the army done…but the other part of me keeps saying, dude, this is a hobby!  It’s fun, and at times relaxing.  Just go with the flow, don’t force it, have a good time, and when it’s done it will be done.  Hell, what is the fun with a project being done?  Then there isn’t anything else to do.

Tomorrow I start my Agincourt campaign with my friend Steve.  I’m pretty excited about it.  I don’t know if we’ll get the first one or two games done, but, I’ll report accordingly.

Before I start headlong into another block of Blue Regulars (I still have the English to do…arrrrrg!), I’m going to reward myself with something easy…the Giant Spider!

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 11:03:14 PM »
Well, I got the Giant Spider done in a remarkably short amount of time.  Other than waiting a while for primer, paint, and sealer to dry, it probably only took me about ˝ hour to paint this bad boy up.  I’m under no disillusion that it’s a great work of art, but I didn’t want to detail it too much, rather I wanted it to blend seamlessly with the rest of the figures in my Battlelore collection.  I’m pretty happy with the way it came out.

The spider is nothing but a series of drybrushing and then picking out a few details.  I figured it might be fun to take a pic at every step, and you can look at the results below.  I wanted my spider to look a little different from everyone else’s, so I avoided going black (although it was tempting).  I liked the idea of a snotty sickly green even before I realized it is a green creature…so that worked out well.  What’s sort of funny is I was watching the Green Bay Packers (loose to the Vikings by one point! Grrrr!) play as I was painting, and suddenly realized that I was using the classic green and gold color scheme.  So I guess my Giant Spider is a cheesehead.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 05:41:16 PM »
Well I’m off to play Battlelore!  Today starts the beginning of what I’ll call THE AGINCOURT CAMPAIGN!  This is going to be the 10 battles detailed in the Adventures Booklet provided in the core box set.

I will play the English (because they have Goblins!) and my old friend Steve (we've been playing games together for about 27 years...though not as often as we would like) will be playing the French for the entire campaign.  We will play 1 or 2 games a week (or as the free time of two middle aged men permits) until the campaign is over.

Victory points for each battle are going to be cumulative, with a bonus victory point awarded for actually winning a battle.  Thus, you may win more battles, but still loose the war!

When next I report, the first Battlelroport of the Agincourt Campaign.  Wish me luck in crushing that French pig-dog Steve into a bloody pulp!

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 07:19:46 PM »
Good luck in crushing that French pig-dog Steve into a bloody pulp!  lol
I'm enjoying this record of your progress and looking forward to the battle reports.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 01:05:59 AM »
The Agincourt Campaign Part One:  Agincourt
(Sorry some of the photos are blurry, the excitement of battle and all that!)

It was with much anticipation that two fledgling generals met across the battlefield.  The seals of fresh new cards were cracked open, and dice that had never felt the turmoil of rolling were unveiled.  The terms were set and the battle began…

Steve has a nice setup in his basement.

Needless to say, since I’m writing this it is going to have a distinct English point of view, as I can’t second guess what was going through my opponents mind during the battle.

Agincourt is a wonderfully designed scenario where the English benefit from the tactical advantage of superior firepower and position, while the French benefit from superior troop strength.  As the English player I decided to use this to my advantage by taking a defensive stance for as long as I could, Steve was forced to march his powerful troops through my hail of arrows before he could have any chance of winning the day.  My increased hand of command cards (my 6 to his 4) gave me a distinct tactical advantage that would serve me well until the end of the game.

The table set and ready to go.

Steve begins plotting his battle plan.

I started out with a well balanced hand that allowed me to activate troops across the board, and benefit from several beneficial tactic cards.  Steve tried to advance his troops across the board as quickly as possible.  I hit each advancing troop, in turn, with volley after volley of missile fire, and while the headcount wasn’t too impressive, I rolled a lot of flags.  Every time he advanced he had to fall back, often loosing a troop or two in the exchange.  The English drew first blood, and eventually the first victory point.  The French Cavalry was my primary target (especially the Heavies) as the posed the greatest threat to my defensive position and chance of tying up my archers in melee.

Some very good starting cards for the English player.

The first casualty!  Going for the tough guys right away.

The French try to advance.

Only to run into a hail of arrows!

The French finally get into melee on my left flank…

…Only to get crushed on the right and earn the English the first victory point.

Cont next post…..

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 01:06:29 AM »
About two third of the way through the game it was looking like the English used its advantages wisely, and would take the day, but the tide was about to turn.  Finally getting a good foothold across the battlefield the English found themselves with no where to run, and started to suffer under the onslaught of the French’s superior strength.

The French push the English against the battlefield border and begin making fleeing deadly for my troops!

Some lucky flag rolls manage to push the French all the way back to the opposite side of the battlefield once more…kills would have been much better however.

2 Victory points ahead, and my enemy pushed back, I was feeling pretty confident the battle was mine…

…and then the French scored a blow against my forces!

To my lament, my superior command card count started to be of little benefit as I began drawing cards that were of very little use to me in my current situation and available troop types.  Still, I did manage to pull enough good cards to ensure victory…if the dice where all as lucky as this desperate attack by fleeing archers (using a less than stellar command card) that wiped out a unit of superior cavalry to win my 3rd victory point.

The Lore was blowing away from me as I drew one card after another that were less than dynamic for the forces I had on the board…

…and yet, a lone archer musters his strength and fights valiantly, scoring a Victory point, despite using what I thought would be a throwaway card.

Cont. next post…