Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:50:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690816
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Pulp Alley Book -- Available Now!  (Read 17958 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: New Pulp Alley Book -- Coming Soon!
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2015, 03:37:44 AM »
Well, he was intended as a villain - Nazis are close to the ideal pulp villain after all and in any case it's rather difficult to pull off a heroic Wehrmacht senior officer character post-1933 (though reality managed it once or twice).

However, if someone wants to try a different take, they are certainly free to try!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 03:39:44 AM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2015, 09:19:38 AM »
Ordered (and received) the pdf. :)

Wonderfull illustrations Matthew. :-* :-*
Keep it going.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2015, 10:45:39 AM »
Matt I ment to go along side the marine I'm sculpting for you, I was thinking a mid 20's  league of retired war horses out for one last gallop.To avoid highjacking the topic I'll pm you nearer completion .
Mark.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2015, 05:00:25 PM »
Mila and I are so thankful for the fine help we got from Matt and everyone that contributed their time to the Pulp Leagues.

Although we're just a tiny dad-and-daughter operation, we try very hard to make Pulp Alley something we can be proud of.

THANKS for everyone's support and encouragement, I can happily say that there is.... more to come;)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2015, 05:38:09 PM »
Matt I ment to go along side the marine I'm sculpting for you, I was thinking a mid 20's  league of retired war horses out for one last gallop.To avoid highjacking the topic I'll pm you nearer completion .
Mark.

Ah ok, I see! Interesting international component to the idea - and in that case the Blue Max idea might even be better (though certainly there were iron crosses awarded in WWI too, so really you could choose whatever you liked).

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2015, 08:50:36 PM »
Nice work Fram!  I have my copy on order.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Valerik

• Mad Scientist
  • "...promiscuously brandishing a revolver..."
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2015, 09:17:19 PM »
Ah ok, I see! Interesting international component to the idea - and in that case the Blue Max idea might even be better (though certainly there were iron crosses awarded in WWI too, so really you could choose whatever you liked).

Of COURSE it's even better!!  Just look who suggested it!!

& yep, plenty of EKs (Eisernes Kreuz=Iron Cross) in WWI, & before, starting in 1913,
EK I cross worn on the left breast or EK II ribbon only worn in 2nd button hole.

BUT,  the RK (Ritter Kreuz=Kinight's Cross of the Iron Cross) worn around the neck as shown was born on the first day of WWII, & died with the 3rd Reich.
The RK, in all of it's grades, replaced the Blue Max, seems Der Gröfaz, himself an EK I holder, didn't like the Prussian award, whose recipients were officers only.

Which makes any wearer of a Knight's Cross a defacto Nazi, one of 43 foreign recipients, or a poseur...

Regardless, I'm certain a splendid figure will result!!!

& Fram's link revealed this jewel:

"I divide my officers into four groups. There are clever, diligent, stupid, and lazy officers.  Usually two characteristics are combined.
Some are clever and diligent -- their place is the General Staff.
The next lot are stupid and lazy -- they make up 90 percent of every army and are suited to routine duties.
Anyone who is both clever and lazy is qualified for the highest leadership duties,
because he possesses the intellectual clarity and the composure necessary for difficult decisions.
One must beware of anyone who is stupid and diligent --
he must not be entrusted with any responsibility because he will always cause only mischief."
Generaloberst Kurt Freiherr von Hammerstein-Equord

Valerik

"We are men of action, lies do not become us."
Westley

BGR

"Fart in the devil's face"
Martin Luther

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2015, 03:25:57 AM »
Hitler never received a Blue Max (never mind his wholly unremarkable military record, he wasn't a member of an eligible class) - but everyone's favourite pompous medal collector, Goering, most certainly did.

Hammerstein's maxim is a classic though. I've seen it misattributed from everyone from Napoleon to Caesar.

@Tin Shed, if you're going to do an old Prussian warhorse instead of a Nazi, I might suggest that the german be wearing a Weimar Reichswehr uniform instead of a Wehrmacht uniform (if he's wearing a uniform at all), especially if the figure pack is set for the 20's and not the 30's.

That would actually be quite interesting since, to my recollection, no one makes Reichswehr figures at all.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 04:37:40 AM by FramFramson »

Offline wolfen

• Scientist
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2015, 05:38:03 AM »
Although we're just a tiny dad-and-daughter operation, we try very hard to make Pulp Alley something we can be proud of.

I'd say you definitely can be proud of it.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2015, 10:17:50 AM »

I had a quick read of my Pulp Leagues PDF a couple of days ago.  Its fantastic.  The large, obvious indicator showing where rules have been modified was very useful for existing players plus the benefits of having everything required to pick a League in one place are obvious.

Although the book is chock-a-block with good stuff, two things stood out to me as being particularly fun to try out: the League of Legends perk and the Pulp Genre rules.  I have a PA gaming session with four buddies scheduled for a fortnights time, so Pulp Leagues could not have arrived at a better time.

Great work Dave and Mila, the standard of your products remains exceptionally high.  Well done.  Whats next?  I want more :)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2015, 05:35:45 PM »
I'd say you definitely can be proud of it.

Hear hear!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2015, 03:14:21 PM »
While I don't think I will be using the optional rules in my main games (don't really need it) I do really like them. Especially the options for weapon kits and the armored rule. (I might put that one in my games if I have some pulpy suit of armour walking around)

Another pair of question, if I may. Would kits effect gangs? also if a mob is a 1 point minion does that mean its an option for summon? (you would need a lot of miniatures, up to 15 each turn!) The road warrior optional rule. It sounds to me like these 5 point spend would be a permanent addition, it feels implied but its not stated, just wondering if you have any comment on that.

Anyhow, as this forum proofs pulp alley: rogue trader is quite a popular use of the rules. (and one I really enjoy the notion of) So I was wondering how you guys would employ the new rules. To me the fantasy/sci-fi kit is a must, especially with the additional weapon or ability you can do a lot. I feel that space marines could now be done with say a duo, company of heroes or league of legends list. Give them the armor option, maybe big or noblesse and you got a pretty tough guy with still a lvl 3 ability or weapon pick to give him some personal flair. Big might be good for terminators.

3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2015, 03:42:20 PM »
In the past I've run a marine as a leader with 'Big' and 'Untouchable'. Those perks would work perfectly for a team of marines, plus the new armour rule.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2015, 03:47:58 PM »
In the past I've run a marine as a leader with 'Big' and 'Untouchable'. Those perks would work perfectly for a team of marines, plus the new armour rule.
Downside is that untouchable is a lvl 4 perk. (with reason) I however do feel that if you want to have fluffy marines they should probably be no lower then sidekick.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »
Yes, you could only use 'Untouchable' for one character: he was pretty intmidating with it, though! Still, if you use 'Big' and the armour rule for the others, they would be pretty formidable. And I agree, no marine below sidekick. Scouts though, would be fine as allies.