Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:01:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690734
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Research for Budapest 1945  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Panzerfaust 150

• Assistant
Research for Budapest 1945
« on: August 31, 2015, 07:36:32 PM »
Hi,
 Am working on a gaming project for the siege of Budapest. It is a battle that has attracted me (some Hungarian in the family) and it was the scene of some of the worst urban fighting of the war, so the temptation for an Eastern Front gamer like me is well, insurmountable.

Trouble is, research is hard to come by.

I have bought the Kristian Ungvary as well as the Landwehr books (the latter being little more than pro-SS hyperbole). i even bought the book "The Changing of the Guard" which isn't a bad first hand account. Got the Leo Nierhorster book, and have read the articles I can find on the internet...I even have the French Book "Last Stand of the Panzers".

What I wish I could find is more Soviet perspectives as well as a division level order of battle for their forces during the siege.

Any ideas?

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
Re: Research for Budapest 1945
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 07:50:54 PM »
Hi, there is a perfect "Command" magazine with game included about the siege and relief operations:

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 11:19:07 AM »
I developed an interest in the Budapest fighting after seeing the scenario for Romanians fighting Hungarians in Budapest in the Eastern Front Scenarios book for the Rapid Fire gaming system.

I also bought 'Axis Allies on the Ostfront' by Bob Mackenzie which is a basically a TO&E guide for games where 1 vehicle or infantry stand equals a platoon (Spearhead, TAC, and Command Decision really). It contains a lot of info on the Hungarian garrison forces in Budapest.

The 'Stalin's Europe' supplement for Flames of War is full of lovely eye candy and some useful information. Personally I play FoW in both 15mm and 6mm scales and I have found the system to be a fairly reasonable representation of WW2 ground combat, if you don't 'power game'.

Another nice book on the Hungarian Front overall in 1944-45 is 'The Panzer's Last Stand' by Phillip Guillemot published by Histoire et Collections, number 8 in their Men and Battles series. It's a bit idiosyncratic in its translation into English but has loads of B&W photos, some lovely colour plates of AFVs and some pictures of re-enactors in genuine kit representing various units (mostly German) involved.

There is also an Osprey book with illustrations of Hungarian and Romanian troops but I do not have a copy, yet!
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline nelsons-signal

• Bookworm
  • "engage the enemy more closely"
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 02:00:38 PM »
Hello Panzerfaust,

not straight to your question but if you want to start a project to Budapest 1944 you should consider the Game of "The Loughton Strike Force" to this subject.  http://www.loughtonstrikeforce.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=165

Perhaps one of the most remarkable WW II Wargames ever shown!  :o

As far as I know the Red Army in Hungaria was mainly equipped with Land Lease Material - American Tanks - trucks....

Regards
Achim
"Dortmund Amateur Wargamers"

Offline Gothic Line

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 09:10:07 PM »
FANTASTIC!!!!!!!