Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:43:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Scale Millennium Falcon with fully detailed interior (WIP)  (Read 4130 times)

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
15mm Scale Millennium Falcon with fully detailed interior (WIP)
« on: September 05, 2015, 07:13:24 AM »
Hi all,

Nothing like an upcoming movie to bring out some half-finished projects!

Here's some work in progress shots of my 15mm scale Millennium Falcon, with interior detailing. It is a 1/72 Revell Snap kit, with scratchbuilt interior, and I will be using it for Blasters and Bulkheads or similar games. There are a few interior locations that still need some more greeblies on the walls, square up a few bad cuts, and tidy up a bit of hot glue here and there, but it is almost there. Aiming for a ramschackle looks here, other star wars ships will obviously be a lot neater and tidier.

Moody black and white shots for now, as I have used a random assortment of multi coloured plastic bits for the detailing, and the black and white brings it together until it is painted.

Assembled as normal, but with the top left off, and the snaptite nubs removed. I cut the top at the prongs, and glue these in place as normal.

The top lifts off to reveal the interior. Not entirely 'canonical', but there are a few differing layouts on the net, and this is inspired by them without being too beholden to them.

A fair bit of room for gaming (with altered movement rates), and the top can be put back on with characters still inside. The centre tube leads to the top and bottom blaster cannons, has a little ladder inside.

Rec room

Bunks

And a couple of action shots

And just for fun

Chewie, we're home!

Hope you like her, there will be more 15mm Star Wars posted on this thread.

Cheers
The Baron

My Blog: http://returntologansworld.blogspot.com.au/
Empire of the Dead, Strange Aeons, Old-School Fantasy and Rogue Trader, 15mm ATZ

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: 15mm Scale Millennium Falcon with fully detailed interior (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 01:19:24 PM »
What a nice start to the thead - she's looking good.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 01:50:17 PM »
Wow, that's brilliant. My son has that kit, so I can appreciate you've packed a lot into it.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 01:53:26 PM »
Very cool.  Also, seeing it from above- the layout actually makes sense for a ship.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 03:03:37 PM »
That is so cool! I always wanted to make a detailed interior for that ship, but never had the time. Now I can just sit back and enjoy yours.

And it's a hell of a lot less money then picking up the De Agostini Build the Millennium Falcon magazines.

Offline Stonefella

• Schoolboy
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 08:31:17 PM »
Really nice, and a good use for a kit. My only quibble would be the engines... I feel like there should be more machinery in the engine room. At least, based on the Ebon Hawk interiors from KotoR.

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 09:21:04 PM »
Very cool. Now you need 15mm Storm Troopers.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 12:45:41 AM »
Brilliant work Ross. Maybe I should find some 15mm stuff...

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 03:29:45 AM »
Holy crap !! truly awesome !!

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 09:09:18 AM »
Wow, thanks very much all for the kind words  :)  I know unpainted is boring, but was excited to show her off!

Really nice, and a good use for a kit. My only quibble would be the engines... I feel like there should be more machinery in the engine room. At least, based on the Ebon Hawk interiors from KotoR.

Regarding engine sizes, I completely agree - this space should be way smaller, but if you look at these (which I used as loose references), both have fairly minimal space taken up by the engines. In gaming terms this space is a nice space for a firefight, and as it is sometimes referred to as the cargo bay, I will make up some loose scifi crates to scatter about for cover. If you look at the Ebon Hawk interior/exterior shots, the engines are clearly massive and project internally a lot. Mind you, these two references contradict each other in pretty much every label (escape pods/cargo doors being the most glaring one), so who knows?!

Very cool. Now you need 15mm Storm Troopers.

These have already been acquired  :)

Brilliant work Ross. Maybe I should find some 15mm stuff...

Thanks James! A couple of robed monks from Eureka with a paper clip will get you started for loose change  ;)

Anyone know if the new Titanium Series will scale well with 15mm? I have seen some good scale shots of the old Z95, if they are similar size then will have to grab some

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/09/clear-your-toy-shelves-and-make-room-for-a-new-fleet-of-star-wars-vehicles/

Hopefully some more work on this soon,
Cheers
The Baron

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 10:27:41 AM »
Great work on that interior.

You could get these minis to populate it as they are 1/72 20mm Star Wars minis via ebay see: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Huge-collection-of-Pre-Painted-Star-Wars-Miniatures-280-approx-20mm-tall-19342-/281789252769?hash=item419bf2c4a1

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 05:42:04 PM »
I never minded that the "guts" like engines and such took up so little space. Hyperdrive travel has been established for thousands of years at this point in the SW universe, which must have allowed for plenty of refinement, so the the fact that engines in starships take up a little less percentage of internal volume in the Star Wars universe then a car engine takes up in a car in our universe seems just fine.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline huesped

• Mad Scientist
  • "-El Emperador no es tan magnánimo como yo"
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 06:06:46 PM »
A-W-E-S-O-M-E :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 06:57:39 PM »
Wowie...man...this is one heck of a build! :-*
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 07:47:44 AM »
Awesome work! 8)

You know; I'm still planning on doing the same, but in 28mm, using the huge Hasbro Falcon as a base. So far, I already have the Falcon and a boxload of WotC SW minis... ::)

And I can appreciate the peculiarities of the Millennium Falcon's interior all too well. In fact, there are whole forums and websites out there, detailing the fact that the stage sets of the MF interiors do not fir into the exterior. There are heated discussions on how and where certain compartments are located, if there are or are not corridors here and there etc.

Great toe-curling fun, if you're into that. Me, I will just be cherrypicking certian elements from each school of thought, and create a good approximation of what I think it could look like. And also, usable for gaming; after all, 25mm bases should be able to fit just about everywhere (bar the cockpit, obviously).

Looks like you totally went with the owner's manual?

Anyway; your work might just motivate me to actually get started on her now. As it is, I'm hoping I will be able to finish that build close to the theatrical release of episode 9. OK; maybe the BluRay release then... lol
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!