Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:29:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690930
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bernard Cornwell's 'The Last Kingdom' episode 1 review  (Read 37849 times)

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
Re: Bernard Cornwell's 'The Last Kingdom' episode 1 review
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 09:24:51 PM »
I had high hopes for this but they just took a bit of dive.

This. Massive fan of the books and have the next one on pre-order. Will watch these but that trailer doesn't fill me with confidence. We will have to wait and see I guess.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 09:40:17 PM »
The rule of cool + the persuit of emulating [financial] success (Game of Thrones seeming to be the benchmark for anything with swords and horses) means that this production was inevitably going to go in this direction. Like Vikings, I shall watch it for the entertainment value.

I used to get really wound up by things being historically inaccurate and/or unfaithful to the books - that somehow the integrity of the original works was compromised by bad adaptations. Recently however, I've come to think that those who really care about accuracy/faithfulness (to history/source material respectively) will know the truth of things, and those who don't care never will - even if you sit them down for a PowerPoint presentation about how wrong sofa-quality leather and faux fur outfits are for this period.

Uthred doesn't look right, though. Why does everyone have to be a psuedo-Orlando Bloom in these things?  ::)

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 09:44:30 PM »
Didn't Uthred have blonde hair,which more easily helped him pass as a Viking in many a situation in the books...I have a bad feeling about this  :(

And surely no self-respecting warrior had such a scraggly beard!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 09:46:39 PM by wulfgar22 »

Offline Skyven

• Scientist
  • Wargaming on Skye
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 09:56:50 PM »
Gave up on BBC doing historical after seeing a dress in White Queen with a zipper up the back.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 07:25:00 AM »
I think we wargamers - we few, we happy few, we band of grumblers - are hard to please.

, ,

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2015, 08:04:28 AM »
I think we wargamers - we few, we happy few, we band of grumblers - are hard to please.

:D You got that right!!!

Look, really...did anyone actually expect re-enactment/museum-quality accuracy here?? This is telly! I admit that it makes me a bit grumpy as well, as accuracy of fighting gear for Vikings etc, isn't hard to get right. But then Romans aren't exactly hard too find info on and when was THAT ever right either? Even on the 'mighty' BBC...

I shall watch it for the same reason I watched the Musketeers, Atlantis, Merlin, etc... A bit of light entertainment involving chaps with swords and stuff!!  :D

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 08:41:40 AM »
Have to agree with GHA, it is fiction and entertainment.

:D You got that right!!!

Look, really...did anyone actually expect re-enactment/museum-quality accuracy here?? This is telly! I admit that it makes me a bit grumpy as well, as accuracy of fighting gear for Vikings etc, isn't hard to get right. But then Romans aren't exactly hard too find info on and when was THAT ever right either? Even on the 'mighty' BBC...

I shall watch it for the same reason I watched the Musketeers, Atlantis, Merlin, etc... A bit of light entertainment involving chaps with swords and stuff!!  :D
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 10:53:30 AM »
I read the books and must say as a story you read during your holidays they are great . Not a history book but that is imo not the intention of Mr. Cornwell.
looking forward to the TV series. The only question for me is when will it be on TV in Germany / be available on DVD in English?
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2015, 05:44:04 PM »
My attitude to these things depends on whether it's purporting to be history or not. I strongly disliked The White Queen because it was positioned as history, whereas much of the wardrobe and action portrayed was risible.

The Musketeers I rather liked because it didn't pretend to be historical - just a good old fashioned swashbuckling romp. Which means the ahistorical goofs in costume, weapons, vocabulary and so on, can't really be held against it...

This one - The Last Kingdom - I don't know. Having not read the books, is it meant to be accurate historically, or is it more of a 'fantasia on the theme of... ' ?

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2015, 05:47:08 PM »
This one - The Last Kingdom - I don't know. Having not read the books, is it meant to be accurate historically, or is it more of a 'fantasia on the theme of... ' ?

No, it is definitely fiction in a historical setting, with historical characters. Plenty of the characters and events are either works of imagination or moved about in time and space to fit the narrative.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2015, 06:09:30 PM »

It has it's roots in history but it is certainly a work of fiction; dates, places and characters are moved around regularly to suit the story. Definitely more of a nod towards than a narrative history. Good nonetheless and if you get the chance I would thoroughly recommend the books.

Offline Hatemonger

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2015, 07:13:19 PM »
Agreed with Cubs and Mr. J - they are good, fun reads that try to remain at least somewhat "real", and give a nod to historic characters and events, but freely manipulate them for the sake of the story. To his credit, the author always includes a little historic afterword, in which he confesses what he knows, and which bits were less true than others. You'll often see things like, "The site of battle xxxx is commonly disputed to be near either modern-day X-burg or Y-town, so I went with Y since it was more focal to the story." Or, "the battle at the Saefern in which [spoiler] was killed actually happened two years later, but I moved it forward because I wanted my characters to be elsewhere at that time."

It's enough to give a good impression of the period, and get me excited about Vikings and Saxons and ships and shieldwalls, and tell a good story along the way. By that measure, the TV series can work as well, even if I have to ignore some funny-shaped shields.

Does anyone know more about what the series will cover? Will they be covering one book each season, or is this a one-off thing for this year?

- H8

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2015, 07:14:43 PM »
It's just like Sharpe, events happen around historical fact. Come on did anybody really think Sharpe shot the Prince of Orange at Waterloo.  >:D
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paulīs Bods
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2015, 08:35:07 AM »

Does anyone know more about what the series will cover? Will they be covering one book each season, or is this a one-off thing for this year?

If its first season is successful, BBC America can also count on the possibility of longevity for The Saxon Stories
http://www.ew.com/article/2014/07/09/bbc-america-last-kingdom-bernard-cornwell
Another Preview vid (mild,  very quick, nudity)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4179452/
I knew the truck didnīt want to hit me...it had dodge written on the front

Paulīs Bods Blog
Federation of Bodstonia

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2015, 10:58:29 AM »
History? Arse!!

Will I watch it, of course..... with all the usual reservations.....

In the words of the great man himself, Sitting Bull, "That is all I have to say".

Darrell.