Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:11:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689637
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (COMMERCIAL) Empress Miniatures release Danger Close Rules.  (Read 8397 times)

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
(COMMERCIAL) Empress Miniatures release Danger Close Rules.
« on: September 22, 2015, 08:16:56 AM »

Danger Close Modern Infantry Combat Rules

Tired of over complicated rules that take a degree in maths, physics and psychology to understand?

Tired of trying to find that particular mechanism that you know is there somewhere but cannot find the page?

Tired of setting up an evening's game and having to pack up three hours later half way through move 4?

The Empress team are! We just wanted to get our toys out and play with terrain that we've spent years working on. We wanted a game that felt right but was accessible and smooth.

While searching we found "Some Corner of a Foreign Field" written by Matt Moran. This one sheet (two sides of A4) rule set is aimed at 4 to 15 figures per side. It's easy to pick up and does everything that we wanted without any problems. We liked the rules so much we obtained the rights to them and have now re-released them under the name "Danger Close"

In summary, each figure is allotted Skills & Drills to classify the figures abilities. There are 5 levels of Skills & Drills and, when linked to a choice of weapon, you can considerably change the abilities of the figures under your command.

Combat creates levels of stress through a game. This stress affects morale to different degrees depending on the type of force you are playing with. As the figures come under increased threat they become more stressed and their abilities suffer.

Danger Close also covers Spotting, shooting, hand to hand, morale, and support weapons.

Originally designed for games set on a 4' x 4' table we have played on much larger , occasionally adding light artillery for extra realism.

The rules use D20 (20 sided dice) and come as a two-sided laminated sheet.

Available here.

http://www.empressminiatures.com/userimages/procart99.htm

Here are some excellent Blogs that review the rules in their previous incarnation.

http://dougieswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/some-corner-of-foreign-field-modern.html

http://winterof79.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/little-chef-some-corner-of-foreign.html

http://jayswargamingmadness.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/some-corner-of-foreign-field-modern.html

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 06:39:02 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline nils

• Librarian
Re: Empress Miniatures release Danger Close Rules.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 05:54:43 PM »
hi
will you have them at crisis ?

Offline Kieffer

• Bookworm
  • Sky Marshal
    • Petites figurines pour grandes batailles
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 05:58:38 PM »
Is there rules or orders of battle for specific nations included ?

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 06:22:39 PM »
Yes to Crisis.

Just the TWO page rules at the moment. Not much room for anything else  lol

However we will produce unit information in the future. as well as some free downloads such as unit sheets.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 10:56:15 PM »
Great idea!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 04:28:33 AM »

However we will produce unit information in the future. as well as some free downloads such as unit sheets.

I support this.  :D
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 07:54:39 AM »
Have to say that we are always a bit dubious about creating unit OOB's for any period, especially moderns, as the situation changes day by day to meet the changing battlefield situation. However we are happy to do basic guides to help people based on a lot of the information that we have been sent by some very interesting international inside sources (que James Bond theme.)  lol

We would also be interested in hearing what you guys/ gals would like from such information? We are always happy to listen to your ideas and 'demands'  ;)

Cheers,
Paul

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 10:49:50 AM »
An idea is, to use the modern list from Operation Squad Modern or skirmish Sangin. I think Empress is not selling it anymore?
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 06:33:44 PM »
I would like to see scenarios and information based in real combat missions.

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
Re: (COMMERCIAL) Empress Miniatures release Danger Close Rules.
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 08:36:03 AM »
My own reply. I have received the rulesheet (because this is an A4 sheet) and this is a perfect writting work. Here is all you need for a very small modern infantry skirmish, all. I´m very happy to pay its price because I´m paying the work of a great author, Matt Moran.

About future information and additions for the ruleset, could it be possible to have scenarios with aditional rules or new stuff?

Offline Dangerdaz

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 11:25:02 PM »
I dont normally moan but i already had `No corner of a foreign field`. Thought id order these as they were getting tweaked tweaked by you guys.
Well apart from being printed on coloured paper & then laminated, these are exactly the same rules, only nearly double the price.
Disappointed tbh.

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 10:12:58 AM »
Just as well the rules only run to two pages. At £2.50 a page, you'd need Sotheby's to shift 'em if they were any longer. :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 09:55:49 PM by carlos marighela »
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 07:39:06 PM »
I have been investigating in the web about the original ruleset, and I have discovered there were some "army" lists. I hope Empress Miniatures will publish that aditional material free of cost due to the high cost of the rulesheet.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 08:46:32 PM »
In the old rueset there are the following List:

AFGHANISTAN
contents
ISAF
ANZAC Forces (Australian and New Zealand) 2 Canadian Land Forces Command (Canadian Army) 2 British Army 2 British Royal Marines 3 Danish Armoured/Mechanised Infantry 3 Danish Spejderdelinger 3 Dutch Airmobile Infantry 4 Dutch Armoured Infantry 4 French Infantry 4 German Fallschirmjager/Gebirgsjager 5 German Panzergrenadiers 5 US Army (Infantry Brigade Combat Team) 5 US Army (Rangers) 6 US Army (Stryker Brigade Combat Team) 6 US Marine Corps 7 Western Special Forces 7
Local Forces
Afghan National Army (ANA) 7 Afghan National Police (ANP) 8 Anti-Coalition & Tribal Militia 8

SOMALIA
Contents
Belgian Light Infantry/Para Commandos 2 Canadian Airborne Regiment 2 Canadian Mechanised Company 2 Italian Folgore 3 Malaysian Infantry 3 Pakistani Infantry 3 Somali Militias 4 United States Army Light Infantry 4 United States Army Rangers 5 United States Delta Force 5 United States Marine Corps 5

Six Days War 1961
Israeli Infantry Squad 2 Israeli Paratroopers 2 Jordanian Infantry 3 UAR Infantry 3

Falkland War 1981
Argentine Infantry Squad 2 Argentine Marine Squad 2 British Guards/Gurkha Section 3 British Royal Marines Section 3 British Parachute Rgt. Section 4 British Parachute Recce Section 4

And as bonus there are two variants of the rules: WW2 and "zombie"

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 08:54:55 AM »
My own reply. I have received the rulesheet (because this is an A4 sheet) and this is a perfect writting work. Here is all you need for a very small modern infantry skirmish, all. I´m very happy to pay its price because I´m paying the work of a great author, Matt Moran.

About future information and additions for the ruleset, could it be possible to have scenarios with aditional rules or new stuff?

Hi,

Yep we are currently working on tidying up the various other parts and then they will gradually be placed on the site as free downloads. Next up will be the unit roster sheets for free download.

The unit details are pretty basic and there are some issues that we are working through.

Cheers,
Paul