Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:56:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690912
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Reaper vs Cultists and Soldiers  (Read 4279 times)

Offline crancko

• Bookworm
Reaper vs Cultists and Soldiers
« on: October 04, 2015, 10:59:53 PM »
How do reaper bones minis compare with plastics from Nickstarter: Soldiers and Cultists?

Pictures would be appreciated.

thank you

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
Re: Reaper vs Cultists and Soldiers
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 12:09:12 AM »
What are you looking for in particular? size comparison? quality?

Offline Denizen Kane

• Librarian
  • French Army? What,s that?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 01:10:02 AM »
The Reaper minis size up slightly larger but to my eye not so as to detract from the overall look of things
The world is changing so fast and we,re just trying to catch up...

Offline crancko

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 07:20:58 AM »
size comparison and quality

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 11:34:34 AM »
I dont have shot for shots but the Reaper Bones plastic minis are low quality. The plastic is very very soft and does not hold as much detail. However they are very cheap in cost. Reaper's metal Dark Haven minis on the other hand are excellent quality. http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=82680.msg1015620#msg1015620 all of the humans are from the Dark Haven range as well as the wolf, and the demons and werewolf are Reaper Bones

Offline Awesome Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 12:51:38 PM »
Bones plastic minis are low quality.

I'll concede that thin figures/bits are more prone to be warped, but to delcare them low quality is a bit of an exageration. It reminds me of how people who prefer records think CDs sound like crap.

Offline Fencing Frog

• Scientist
    • Fencing Frog
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 01:36:56 PM »
I dont have shot for shots but the Reaper Bones plastic minis are low quality.

I would Disagree they are very good miniatures. I don't have any of the Frostgrave Figures at this point but I think Bones figures an excellent quality with very good level of detail especially when you factor in price as an aspect of quality
Some of mine

you can see more here: http://fencingfrog.blogspot.com/search/label/Reaper%20Miniatures

Offline Stepman3

• Scientist
    • http://stepman3.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 03:11:22 PM »
Reaper Bones are nice figures and size up pretty well... Be aware of the bendy bone syndrome...it's an easy fix though. Take the bent bone, sword, arm, spear...whatever it might be. Dip in BOILING water, pull out, reshape the bent piece quickly and then dip in ICE water. you have to work fast, but it fixes the bendy bone syndrome issue without medication...

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 03:34:10 PM »
I only agree with the "Bendy Bones" Syndrome. Hot water, reshape and ice water bath fixes that admirably. The details...honestly, not as sharp as say the metal models, but the detail is there. A lick of primer and paint and you're good to go. It's very hard to see the details in the raw plastic, but it's there once painted.
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline Fencing Frog

• Scientist
    • Fencing Frog
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 03:35:31 PM »
It's very hard to see the details in the raw plastic, but it's there once painted.
This is true on some of their figures

Offline Knightofspades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 03:38:53 PM »
Bones are big but they work for monsters and stuff. Also the style is often a bit more stylized compared to the down to earth Frostgrave miniatures.
Even regular Mordheim/warhammer miniatures are a bit bigger not much but just a little bit.

Offline Zinkala

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 07:30:36 PM »
I'm using Frostgrave, older GW, Gripping Beast and Reaper minis all in the same warbands. I don't have any comparison photos right now but am hoping to get some this week. There is some variation in size but they work well enough for my tastes. As far as Reaper vs Frostgrave minis all I can say is it depends. Reaper size/scale is all over the place. You kind of need to decide on an in dividual basis.

Crancko if there are any specific Bones minis you're interested in I might be able to get some pics for you. I have a lot of the minis from the Bones I and II kickstarters.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 08:31:55 PM »
I'm using Frostgrave, older GW, Gripping Beast and Reaper minis all in the same warbands. I don't have any comparison photos right now but am hoping to get some this week. There is some variation in size but they work well enough for my tastes. As far as Reaper vs Frostgrave minis all I can say is it depends. Reaper size/scale is all over the place. You kind of need to decide on an in dividual basis.

Crancko if there are any specific Bones minis you're interested in I might be able to get some pics for you. I have a lot of the minis from the Bones I and II kickstarters.

I hope you don't mind if I cut in, but I'm toying with the idea of using some Anhurian sword/crossbow/bowmen in a warband. How do they compare?

Offline Zinkala

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 11:54:40 PM »
I'm considering using the Anhurians too. The 4 minis I have are in my pile of maybe Frostgrave stuff. They are taller and huskier than the Frostgrave soldiers. The top of the Frostgrave soldiers heads come to about eye level on the Anhurians and they are about that much (2-3mm) wider as well.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 09:24:22 AM »
I'm considering using the Anhurians too. The 4 minis I have are in my pile of maybe Frostgrave stuff. They are taller and huskier than the Frostgrave soldiers. The top of the Frostgrave soldiers heads come to about eye level on the Anhurians and they are about that much (2-3mm) wider as well.
Thanks for replying. Great minds think alike eh?  :D
Hmm... they sound a little too large... may have to rethink...