Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:34:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Visiting Berlin  (Read 4303 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Visiting Berlin
« on: October 12, 2015, 01:52:29 PM »
I am heading to Preussia at the end of November with some friends to celebrate on of them turning 50. What should we not miss, preferably something not easily found in the usual tourist guides?
Also, where do I find the best curry wurst, this kasier of schnell food, in Berlin?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: Visiting Berlin
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 02:24:43 PM »
Battlefield Berlin. You have to see it. Nothing to eat but a lead heaven.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 02:25:20 PM »
Battlefield Berlin. You have to see it. Nothing to eat but a lead heaven.

What is that? A big crater?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 02:26:17 PM »
What is that? A big crater?

I am shitting you, Alex. I had forgotten about it, but I will definitely head there. :-)

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 05:26:27 PM »
I definitely second Battlefield Berlin and raise you the German Historical Museum in the Friedrichstrasse. Germany through the ages features many militaria.
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 05:36:40 PM »
"Curry 36" and "Konnopke" seem to be the most famous Currywurstbuden in Berlin.

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 10:51:32 PM »
I spent a few days there recently. The weather ranged from tolerable to awful but my planned stops were mostly indoors so no major harm done.

Yep, Battlefield Berlin is great. Even though everything can be found online too, it's just so fascinating to browse it all in person. Unfortunately (or fortunately for my finances), I only managed to reserve one hour for the visit, which wasn't enough at all. The contrast between its tiny store front and the shelves inside which go on forever is striking. One does not simply walk there, but Gneisenaustraße U-Bahn station (line U7) is about three blocks away.

From there, I tried my luck with Modellbahnen am Mierendorffplatz, allegedly one of the best railway stores in the city. U7 takes you there quite conveniently in something like 15 stops and 25 minutes. It was well-stocked indeed, although very H0/N-scale heavy with nothing in O scale (for 28mm purposes, obviously) apart from a tiny bit of rolling stock. You can get almost any kind of scatter or tree kit ever produced there, though.

There are various Berlin WelcomeCards, which can buy you unlimited public transport and e.g. three-day access to the museum island. The discount is not massive but the concept was convenient for my purposes. Altes Museum has one large floor of Greek items and another of Etruscan/Roman stuff. Neues Museum has fascinating Egyptian things, "Priam's Treasure" (or whatever remains / has been replicated after Soviet looting), old German history, and many floors of stone/bronze/iron age exhibitions which get quite exhausting after everything else. Nefertiti's bust is neat but maybe hyped out of proportion.

Pergamonmuseum is currently 2/3 closed and even the Ishtar Gate and Market Gate of Miletus are partially covered by ugly scaffolding. It makes the place mercifully fast to visit, however. I was happy enough when I found the Assyrian water basin with priests of Dagon in fish costumes sprinkling water:

(I painted one such priest for LPL8 ancients round as a clever transition between cultists of earlier rounds and fishmen of later rounds. Even the shields were Dagon-themed. I still don't know if anyone got the reference.)

Visiting every exhibition of the the island museums, even briefly, will probably take several days so plan and pick accordingly.

Brandenburger Tor doesn't offer much more than a billion tourists and a mile of souvenir shops. Checkpoint Charlie is along the route to Battlefield Berlin (U6). There is also a Berlin dungeon in Mitte, which I skipped due to lack of time and it looking like a cheesy tourist trap. I may be wrong, of course.

Currywurst keeps you going but I actually preferred a Weihenstephaner biergarten (fully aware of the fact that the brewery is really in Munich area and the place thereby Bavarian-themed). Every variant of Berliner Kindl I sampled was poor in comparison. I guess it's OK with currywurst but nothing to write on LAF about.

Anyway, it's a huge city with a lot more in every direction. Even well-known essentials may be >10 km away from the centre. You have to prioritise heavily, based on your preferences. Fortunately the place is notably tourist-friendly and well-organised*. Deciding where to go is the difficult part. Getting there is usually easy. Any kind of food and drink is available basically around the clock for reasonable prices (from a Nordic perspective) so you shouldn't have other problems with that either than choosing. Note that shops (such as BfB) are closed on Sundays. Reserve that for museums, strolling or something similar.

Very lively city. Would visit again.

*But seriously, they should get their act together with the airports, train service and museum renovations...

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 02:16:53 AM »
I lived in Berlin for two year and went back for a visit just before Xmas last year.  What are you looking for military stuff or touristy stuff off the beaten track?  Where are you staying?  How much time do you have?
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 07:07:26 PM »
I lived in Berlin for two year and went back for a visit just before Xmas last year.  What are you looking for military stuff or touristy stuff off the beaten track?  Where are you staying?  How much time do you have?

We have four days. We are 5 people, 4 of us 'hosting' one day each for birthday boy (and the other 3) Each one of us will come up with a not too ambitious program for each day. The four themes are High Culture (the Berliner philharmonics, the museum island), Cold War (Checkpoint Charlie, die Mauer etc), WWII (Holocaust memorial etc) and Low Culture. Guess which one I am hosting... Yes, you are right.

So, I am thinking a curry wurst place for lunch and some varite/cabaret/burlesque at night. Anything else of a plebeian or slightly naughty, Weimarish nature you can suggest for some light slumming?

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 07:51:53 PM »
Ah, there you have me.  I could advise on Cold War and WW2 but apart from rumours of a strip club called Mon Cheries on Stuttgater Platz I'm not too well versed in the low culture  :D

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 08:02:12 PM »
Ah, there you have me.  I could advise on Cold War and WW2 but apart from rumours of a strip club called Mon Cheries on Stuttgater Platz I'm not too well versed in the low culture  :D

Well, contrary to appearances, I am not one for strip clubs. Anyway, I could pass some advice onto my fellow travellers, if you would be so kind to share them.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 08:40:45 AM »
Apart fro the curry-wurst recommendation, any tips on a fine eateries?

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 09:16:33 AM »
Apart fro the curry-wurst recommendation, any tips on a fine eateries?

If you want a fine dining experience Try Pauly Saal:

http://paulysaal.com/

And yes that is a rocket hanging on the wall. :o

I went there a couple of years ago and it was an excellent meal, although not so good for your wallet. ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 10:02:33 AM »
If you want a fine dining experience Try Pauly Saal:

http://paulysaal.com/

And yes that is a rocket hanging on the wall. :o

I went there a couple of years ago and it was an excellent meal, although not so good for your wallet. ;)

A rocket you say? Sold.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 12:44:13 PM »
A rocket you say? Sold.

I kid you not:

:D