Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:13:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690834
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Twilight Trails (16/10/15 NEW HORRORS!!)  (Read 13557 times)

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
Re: Twilight Trails (28/9/15 Hooded Puppets)
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2015, 03:49:25 PM »
In my latest episode in the ongoing solo gaming of Twilight Trails (link here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=82110.0), I tried out several ideas of magic usage. I have purchased the Two Hour Wargame rules High Moon, which are for an old/ weird west setting. They have been updated and slimmed down frdom previous Reaction System rules, so I decide to embrace some, tweak some and totally ignore others. In main I have decided to adapt these rules:

1) The new damage system (basically roll 1D6, and the higher roll, the more damaged you are. OD at 6+), which makes ANY weapon potentially lethal.

2) I will retain the 'Draw' result in melee. Don't like to have to have a 'winner' by the end of the round.

3) The magic system as a whole is good, very good indeed. But I have decided to add 'flavour' by arbitrary deciding that some spells are more suited for certain users, and less suited for some. For instance, Esmeralda is a Healer/ Nature user, so those spells that I feel might fall outside her expertise (Damage, Trickery etc) will be used at Grit -1. Likewise, John has learned to enhance his abilities but had to try Invisibility at a further -1, due to the extra effort of including Esmeralda in it (Grit -2 in total!!)

4) With the new magical powers, I decided to trade his Night Owl attribute (LoS 12" minimum always, even in pitch blackness) in. I replaced it with Spirit Sense instead, and considering he can cast Enhanced Senses and have a 24" LoS I found Night Owl a bit redundant now.

John Stormcrow (Spirit Warrior)

Grit 4 (5)
Shooting 4
Fighting 4
People 4
Horsemanship 4
Outdoorsman 4

Sorcery (can cast magic spells)
Strong Will (Grit +1 for casting spells and Fear tests)
Spirit Sense (can perceive Tainted and magic within 12", even if hidden)

Six shooter
Ghost Winchester (ignore Out of Ammo result, but is not counted as Magical weapon)
Knife
Jade Spear (+2D in melee, can kill beings only susceptible to Magic weapons, will always count as 1 success in melee, even if fail on all dice, can use Grit/ Strong Will instead of Fighting if that is higher)

Esmeralda Santoro (The White Witch)

Grit 3 (4)
Shooting 3
Fighting 3
People 4
Horsemanship 3
Outdoorsman 3

Witchcraft (can cast spells)
Strong Will (Grit +1 for spellcasting and Fear tests)
Nerves of Steel (immune to Fear)

Satchel of herbs and potions
Knife
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2015, 06:13:48 PM »
Hi there - the corn dolls look good, have you seen west winds pumpkin heads ghs0001 and their ghs0002 don't know their name but they look to be a good fit with the corn dolls.

Take care

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2015, 08:10:12 PM »
Hi there - the corn dolls look good, have you seen west winds pumpkin heads ghs0001 and their ghs0002 don't know their name but they look to be a good fit with the corn dolls.

Take care

I was actually umming and ahhing about which ones I should take, but knowing the crisp clean quality I get from CD they won out. I have a few Westwind assorted minis but always found them in need of a bit of cleaning up first. I might get some of the pumpkin heads at some point still though  :D.

Did you see that episode four is up now?

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2015, 09:00:12 PM »
Just read it. Thanks ;)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2015, 09:48:29 PM »
I have those very same corn dolls lined up for cleaning just behind my WestWind scarecrows (both sackhead and pumpkin heads).

The WestWind stuff does need some cleaning, but I think especially those particular ones are worth the effort; they are going to make wonderful additions to horror themed games in many settings!  :D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 08:39:06 PM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Yggdrasil

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2015, 08:38:01 PM »
These stuffed dolls are amazing. I like the sculpts and your paintjob. This is quite an interesting range of models. I might buy one or another for some upcoming Strange Aeons games  8)

It is very interesting to read about the basic game mechanics and gamish backgrounds you are using for your Tales From The Twilight Trail!!! topic. Please keep up your work. This is very inspiring!

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2015, 02:18:56 AM »
These stuffed dolls are amazing. I like the sculpts and your paintjob. This is quite an interesting range of models. I might buy one or another for some upcoming Strange Aeons games  8)

It is very interesting to read about the basic game mechanics and gamish backgrounds you are using for your Tales From The Twilight Trail!!! topic. Please keep up your work. This is very inspiring!

Thanks a lot Yggdrasil!!! I mostly do the write ups and rule tweaks for my own amusement but glad you like to read my ramblings  lol.

The Corn Dolls from Crooked Dice are excellent and I can recommend them. The service is excellent, they paint up real nice and the casting quality is superb. Have heard from an 'inside' source, that if the casting is not up to scratch they will re-cast before shipping, so can heartily recommend Crooked Dice.

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2015, 07:18:48 AM »
For the THREE episode Halloween special extravaganza, I have outlined the scenarios in my head. Basically, each of the three protagonists will have a SOLO feature in it and I hope to play them 27 or 30th so stay tuned.

If I had some soldiers I would do an 'undead' army chasing Robert for his sins and atrocities, but I have modified that one, will also feature a twisted witches coven and a headless horseman with scarecrows doing his evil biddings  lol lol!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2015, 10:59:14 AM »
Maleficious!  ;D

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
Re: Twilight Trails (16/10/15 NEW HORRORS!!)
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2015, 01:03:30 AM »
Newly painted stuff, all Reaper Bones and also used for the upcoming Strange Aeons 2nd edition.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 01:05:51 AM by Legionnaire »