Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:59:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 7TV rules adaptation?  (Read 2556 times)

Offline Blofeld

• Scientist
    • Frontline armchair
7TV rules adaptation?
« on: October 31, 2015, 11:23:05 PM »
My local gaming group want to run a Die-Hard based game using the Second Edition of the popular 7TV rules. The only problem is that the hero typically acts alone and not with a force. Has anyone got any suggestions in regards to adapting the rules to allow this? I'm a complete novice in regards to 7TV but I thought some sort of "piece-meal" strategy where the hero scares of against 3 or 4 henchmen at a time before meeting the final villain a little like in video games. I'd be open to suggestions also for a two player team as John McClane sometimes has a useful partner that he aquires. Any other tips on how to game Die-Hard such as useful terrain or anything would be very helpful as well.
Thanks
Blofeld

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
Re: 7TV rules adaptation?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 11:43:26 PM »
I think for a start you may need to beef up the henchmen or nerf the hero a little. To balance it otherwise an action hero will rip through 3/4 extras no problem what so ever.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 11:46:10 PM by Brummie Thug »

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 12:15:44 AM »
I'll get my thinking cap on. The Action Hero Star profile is a good fit for McClane. I'd suggest building in some special rules to scenarios. No shoes equals reduce move etc. Have the bad guys as Co-stars might help too to get some balance. Personally I'd try and include some Bystander Extras in there too for the hostages on the heroic side.
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 01:42:07 AM »
I'm planning on using 7tv for Spanish Civil War - an A-Team circa 1937 show called Viva Bibliobus!
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Blofeld

• Scientist
    • Frontline armchair
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 10:48:08 AM »
Thanks great suggestions so far I love the glass and bare feet idea! Any more suggestions would be very welcome
Thanks
Blofeld

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 12:58:51 PM »
The hero has help on the radio - a cop who can tell him what's happening in other parts of the building.  Maybe draw an extra event card (or even gadget card) every so often?

Offline monkeylite

• Scientist
    • Moedlhafen
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 01:32:49 PM »
Yeah, carefully designed, on-genre, custom Event Cards would be great.

The biggest problem with the RAW is that you'd end up with the hero getting mobbed by all the minions, and that would be pretty boring. I've played linear commando raid type scenarios before, and have split the board into various zones, where only the zones with heroes in are active. So it would run like a series of mini-scenarios, instead of one big game.

Having a gadget power-up in each zone would help each one be more relevant. Maybe have a timer in each zone, so if the hero doesn't get through it in time, it means the minions in that zone have manged to contact the next zone, so they will become active.

Offline Blofeld

• Scientist
    • Frontline armchair
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 01:47:14 PM »
The biggest problem with the RAW is that you'd end up with the hero getting mobbed by all the minions, and that would be pretty boring. I've played linear commando raid type scenarios before, and have split the board into various zones, where only the zones with heroes in are active. So it would run like a series of mini-scenarios, instead of one big game.

Having a gadget power-up in each zone would help each one be more relevant. Maybe have a timer in each zone, so if the hero doesn't get through it in time, it means the minions in that zone have manged to contact the next zone, so they will become active 
The separate mini scenario idea was my original thought as it fits the structure of the film well. The timer idea is genius! Again that really fits the film and heightens tension, it's something I hadn't considered but that's a great idea.
Thanks
Blofeld

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 02:47:16 PM »
Have a read through the second edition rules. You can get the new files from our Gumroad site for free.

https://gumroad.com/l/lyEOe

The new countdown mechanics are integral to the game, generating events each turn. They are divided into three sets - Act One, Act Two and Finale. Act One are predominately focussed on movement and Act Two On combat. In the Finale deck all hell breaks loose!

You could customise these for a themed DH game - but the idea is that they are low level events (until the finale) affecting either side.

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 08:29:16 PM »
Perhaps weapon upgrades, one of explosives ala the c4 and the chair scene.