Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:11:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Honours of War - first test game during the AWI  (Read 2337 times)

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
  • www.dalauppror.blogspot.com
    • Dalauppror Wargamingblog
Honours of War - first test game during the AWI
« on: November 02, 2015, 10:47:31 AM »

Hi

During the weekend my son and I had a first try out of the Honours of War rules, by Keith Flint and published by Osprey wargames.

You can find more gaming pictures and a short AAR at my blog.

Best regards Michael

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
Re: Honours of War - first test game during the AWI
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 03:41:58 PM »
Must have been an enjoyable game.  And you have a fine AWI collection  :)
Now what is this whole life of mortals but a sort of comedy, in which the various actors, disguised by various costumes and masks, walk on and play each one his part, until the manager waves them off the stage?

http://stokefield.blogspot.com/

http://wellrallyonceagain.blogspot.com/

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 12:19:20 PM »
Thanks for that, Michael. I was wondering if I could use these rules with my smallish AWI collection and now I have my answer! Those are some great paint jobs and your terrain is something to aspire to also!

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 07:15:12 PM »
Thank you very much!

The rules indeed worked well with small forces.

Offline gorillacrab

• Librarian
  • Horse and Musket buff
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 07:51:55 PM »
Great looking report - and interesting to see the game set in the AWI. Based on my playtesting I am quite a fan of Honours of War and it was great to see how well it worked in the non-European theatre.

Ironically, I've recently started playtesting a "Muskets Rampant" variant using the Lion Rampant system for the North American Seven Years War (or French Indian Wars). Of course there is already an official Colonials Rampant book in development (but will The Men Who Would Be Kings actually be the final title?) and a Pike and Shotte Rampant aka the Pikeman's Lament.

I think "Rampant" is a solid choice for smaller French and Indian settings, say a small raiding force game with regulars, rangers, militia and Natives in dense terrain while Honours works better for medium or larger games at the brigade level.

I'd be curious to see if the OP would share his units stats for this theatre or special rules for rangers or Native American troops.
Thanks for sharing!

Prof Challenger, I presume?

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 06:33:17 PM »
Thank you very much !

I to like the Rampant engine very much and I hope to be able to improve it at least a bit in our work with The Pikeman´s Lament;)

I´m quite sure "The Men Who Would Be Kings" will be the title as the title are set when you sign the contract with Osprey.

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 06:40:16 PM »
thanks very much - I will be buying the rules (no armies yet) as a direct result of your post.

Offline gorillacrab

• Librarian
  • Horse and Musket buff
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 06:37:59 PM »

I´m quite sure "The Men Who Would Be Kings" will be the title as the title are set when you sign the contract with Osprey.
[/quote]

Tremendous - it's a ripping name. In this day and age I just thought some hacks from the Warner Brothers legal dept might be sending out a do-not-proceed order; I guess they'd only do that if you tried using Sean or Michael on the cover.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 10:13:55 PM »
"The Man Who Would Be King" was based on a book of the same title by Kipling, it was written in 1888, so wouldn't it fall outside of the 50 year copyright rule?

I'm not sure how Trade Mark works - can you TM a pre-existing title by someone else?  Did the film makers (Technicolor?) TM this title?

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 01:53:24 PM »

Tremendous - it's a ripping name. In this day and age I just thought some hacks from the Warner Brothers legal dept might be sending out a do-not-proceed order; I guess they'd only do that if you tried using Sean or Michael on the cover.

I´m sure that the Osprey legal department have had a saying before the titel was accepted, but this might not be the tread to discuss that  ;)