Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:19:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Dangers of Careening  (Read 1935 times)

Offline creepy hero

• Student
    • CreepyHero Studios
The Dangers of Careening
« on: November 03, 2015, 12:25:37 AM »
At the end of summer we played a pirate game using the Core rules.  In the game the pirates had careened their ship (sailed close to an island during high tide, and when low tide came began cleaning the barnacles off the hull of their ship) when an English sloop spotted them.  Realizing that honest captains careened their ships in a harbor they opened fire destroying the pirate ship and most of the crew.  They then sailed to the other side of the island to refill their fresh water supply.  The pirates made their way across the island and face with a choice of being marooned on the island decided to attack the Englishmen to take their ship.

The pirates split into three groups and charged the beach where the longboats had landed.  The lieutenant ordered his men into a line to repel the piratical scum.

The air filled with clouds of smoke and the reports of muskets being fired.

As the two enemy close range a pirate falls, then another, it seems the might of the British Empire will stop the pirates in their tracks.  However these pirates are a sneaky lot and they manage to move around to flank the British.  Attacked from both sides the soldiers are quickly overwhelmed.

As the pirates pile into the long boats the sailors aboard the sloop prepare for the fight of their lives… at which point I got so into the game I stopped taking pics.  Needless to say the players were victorious though losses were severe, and the dread pirates sailed off in their newly acquired ship.  Little did they know that a wounded Lieutenant watched from the shore vowing that someday he’d see them hang.

This was the first time I'd ever used actual sand to make the playing area.  The effects were astounding though it'll be a long time before I'll be able to game on actual sand again as using sand in the house if frowned upon, hehe.

The rules we used were of my own design, being one of those people that games in several different genres and tired of learning a different rule-set for each one I decided to make a set of rules that works with every genre, and called it the Core rules.  Anyone interested in the Core rules can download them for free here:
http://creepyherogames.weebly.com/core-rules.html

Comments and questions are always welcome.
Thanks,
Mike

Offline cuchulain23

• Scientist
Re: The Dangers of Careening
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 05:04:01 AM »
That is a great looking game board. Excellent battle report as well.

Offline El Frantico

• Librarian
    • Firelock Games
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 03:23:39 PM »
Sounds like fun! The sand board was pretty cool!
Mike Tuñez
Firelock Games
www.FirelockGames.com

Offline manatic

• Mad Scientist
    • Dawn of the Lead
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 11:28:38 AM »
Great stuff, captures the feel well!

Offline creepy hero

• Student
    • CreepyHero Studios
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 07:58:32 PM »
Thanks for the comments, and again I apologize for not having pics of the last half of the game.  I had originally wanted play sand for the game but couldn't find any and went with a course sand used for mixing with cement, in the end I was happier with the course sand as it looked a lot better.

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 01:36:03 PM »
The sand table looks amazing! Looks like it was a great game!
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline folnjir

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 10:07:28 PM »
Looks like a good fun game.

Who makes the redcoats you use?