Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 03:01:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696668
  • Total Topics: 118780
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Evil Doctor's Frostgrave stuff - 20/11/15 now with the apprentice  (Read 4100 times)

Offline Evil Doctor

• Bookworm
    • Evil Doctor's long-dead lead
Hi all,

So I thought I'd post some of the miniatures I have been painting up for Frostgrave. Here's the first to show:

It's an old miniature in need of a repair job. This was a Citadel slotta fighter from the 80s/90s. He originally was a duelist, but for some reason I cut his right knife arm off. I also gave him a miliput beard. He looked rubbish! So when I recovered him from the loft I removed the additions as a starting point. Then I covered the grievous wound with a Vendel miniatures shield I had laying about, and sculpted an arm to hold it. I thickened up the sword to make it more in keeping with my other preslotta stuff. I never liked his helmet - it was the same size as his head i.e. far too tight, and looked silly. So I added a visor to disguise that. Then on the back I added to the original large backpack with some smaller items. Now he’s ready to go adventuring in the frozen city! I like how his face came out, he looks like a grizzled veteran, slightly perturbed by where the boss (i.e. wizard) says they should be going. 'What, down there boss? Er...'

Cheers,

EvilD
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 12:05:35 PM by Evil Doctor »
Check out my blog - Long-dead Lead!

http://evil-doctor.tumblr.com/

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
Re: Evil Doctor's Frostgrave stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 01:43:12 PM »
He looks quite the veteran - good stuff!

Offline joshuaslater

• Scientist
Re: Evil Doctor's Frostgrave stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 05:59:52 PM »
looks perfect for Frostgrave.

Offline Evil Doctor

• Bookworm
Re: Evil Doctor's Frostgrave stuff - newly sculpted Cultist!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 10:33:32 AM »
So this is an ‘old-school’ model for Frostgrave with a twist - I sculpted it!

He’s made from the bendable oven bake fimo over a wire frame for the basic shape, then a 50/50 procreate/milliput mix for the details. I’m really happy with how he came out, I was trying to keep the preslotta aesthetic and I think I just about managed it. Truth be told he’s wearing the mask because his face went completly wrong, but no one needs to know that!

He’s going to be a fighter for a demonologist or Necromancer in Frostgrave, or maybe a cultist for the upcoming Liche lord campaign.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 12:40:31 PM »
He's turned out great. You've definitely captured that old school vibe. Thanks for sharing

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 01:05:43 PM »
Oh I wish I could sculpt...
That's a cracking figure - bravo!

Offline Evil Doctor

• Bookworm
Re: Evil Doctor's Frostgrave stuff - now with knight...
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 09:43:10 AM »
This is an old Citadel fighter. I’d lost his shield and sword as they came as separate pieces, so I sculpted him a new sword and found an old Vendel miniatures shield. The shield was originally blank, which is a bit boring, so I sculpted the leering face on it to make it more interesting to paint. I’ve done this with quite a few miniatures which will pop up here at some point. He's going to be my Knight in Frostgrave, he looks quite badass!

Offline Evil Doctor

• Bookworm
Re: Evil Doctor's Frostgrave stuff - now with knight...
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 10:46:46 AM »

And here's my wizard! I’ve always wanted this figure - it’s a High Sorcerer of Chaos’ from the first Citadel compendium, a Perry sculpt I assume. Picked him up on eBay for a pretty good price, which is rare! Gone for a very dark tone overall, with a bit of shiny silver on the armour and staff. He looks like a Demonologist to me. Who know’s what the helmut is hiding?

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
Re: Evil Doctor's Frostgrave stuff - 12/11/15 added the wizard
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 11:42:42 AM »
Nice additions. Thanks for sharing

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 07:23:07 PM »
That figure is also relatively rare. If you got a good price on it, more power to you. Thanks for sharing your work and finds!
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 07:24:38 PM »
Never seen that wizard before - great stuff!

Offline Evil Doctor

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 01:10:58 PM »
Cheers guys.

So who's up next...

So here's another for the Demonologist's warband. I'd be tempted to use him as a barbarian, even though he's got the wrong gear. If you don't know he's another old Citadel preslotta chaos warrior. I love this model, it's got the real 'heft' I like  and has an interesting pose. I'm also a big fan of the sculpted shield.

Offline Evil Doctor

• Bookworm
Re: Evil Doctor's Frostgrave stuff - 13/11/15 barbarian makes an appearance!
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 11:24:59 AM »

Another knight for my demonolist Frostgrave faction!

I really like these old-school preslotta chaos warriors from Citadel. Perry sculpts again, they predate the ‘chaos spiky bits’ and ‘skulls everywhere’ look that came to dominate later servants of chaos. These guys just look evil, and the poses are quite dynamic given their age. I’ve painted this miniature three times now - first with enamels back in the day, then again in acrylics when I went a bit ‘neon’ on him, and then a third time when I needed to base him to fit in with the rest of my figures, and to tone him down a bit. I love the shield with the sculpted Succubus!

I know there's not much 'frost' on his base, but he needs to fit with the rest of my existing miniatures. More Thawgrave than Frostgrave...

Offline Evil Doctor

• Bookworm
Re: Evil Doctor's Frostgrave stuff - 17/11/15 another knight!
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 12:05:03 PM »
This old Citadel half-orc (I think) shamen is going to be my apprentice in Frostgrave. It’s a Nick Lund sculpt, and typically slightly lumpy and unrefined, but at the same time quite a charming figure. I painted him with a normal skin tone, not the grey of my orcs, just so he might be a bit more versatile in my games.