Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:00:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Esci, Airfix and other 1/72 scale modern figures  (Read 3371 times)

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
Esci, Airfix and other 1/72 scale modern figures
« on: November 15, 2015, 10:39:18 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone stock the old Airfix Modern Russians? I seem to remember Esci producing a set but all I can seem to find now are Modern Germans?

A search online has revealed that these figures once existed including some really useful Warsaw Pact Esci figures....anyone used them before?

As you can guess I am looking for some cheap Eastern bloc types, any suggestions? Cubans would be cool to find as well....maybe Hat or Strelets will eventually make some modern types, I live in hope.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Esci, Airfix and other 1/72 scale modern figures
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 11:34:59 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone stock the old Airfix Modern Russians? I seem to remember Esci producing a set but all I can seem to find now are Modern Germans?

A search online has revealed that these figures once existed including some really useful Warsaw Pact Esci figures....anyone used them before?

As you can guess I am looking for some cheap Eastern bloc types, any suggestions? Cubans would be cool to find as well....maybe Hat or Strelets will eventually make some modern types, I live in hope.

If you are looking for 1/72 plastics, you may want to check with Plastic Soldier Review, which is an amazing piece of work with lots of reasonable and, AFAIK, knowledgeable commentary.

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Index.aspx

The Esci Warsaw Pact figures have an issue in that the pack doesn't contain figures from one, but four WarPac forces, with some differences creeping in. Not as bad as with the NATO set, due to the standardisation of WarPac equipment, but some may be irritated.

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 01:16:00 PM »
Thanks for that Chris, the plastic soldier review is really useful but it seems like the Airfix Russians are not being produced :-[

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 08:22:48 PM »
Both are now very hard to come by now I am afraid - Airfix also made NATO Yanks with M16s and Esci also made Spetsnaz. You could try Orion for more modern Russians.

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »
Thanks Golgotha-I had no idea that US troops had been produced! The molds must be somewhere waiting to be used again I hope. Your right about Orion, they seem to produce the most varied range.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 08:57:59 PM »
I have some. My mother came across a treasure trove of toys from my youth. Not sure ifte postage would be worth it. BTW the Airfix  modern Russians are:

1) Fairly stiff in terms of posing

2) 1/76 and noticeably smaller than the Esci/Italeri/Revell figures as well as the Matchbox paratroopers.

3) Lacking in support weapons. No RPGs or machineguns.

If you want 1980s Soviets you are probably better off getting the Italeri VDV packet, that is still available. They are in the KLMK camouflage oversuit, not the classic M1970 uniform but if you buy their WW2 Russians you can swap the tin hats and you'll have serviceable motor rifle troops/ marines/VDV. It fits with the other figures out there and has the advantage of having the requisite squad weapons.

Dunno if the Warpac set is still in production but it is one of their annoying sample packs with two or three figures from each army
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 09:32:02 PM »
Are you looking for actual Warsaw era folks?  There is a Russian company producing a line of Chechnya forces (Chechens and Russians)...they're pretty nice figures.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 10:02:03 PM »

The old Airfix set is rare indeed. It was the last set produced and had only 7 or 8 poses all with Assault Rifles.
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=584

Esci/ERTL/Italeri did (do?) Modern Russian Paratroopers Spetnaz - it quite an accurate set.  I use them but not as Russians, I have them serving in my fictional African nations as paratroops and special forces.
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=109

The Esci Warsaw Pact troops are a mix of 4 nations and uniforms so not much use unless you particularly want some of them.
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=109

Orion do "Russian Federals"
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=285

Hope you find what you are looking for

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 10:57:05 PM »
Thanks Elbows and Massu...this is good stuff. It is a pity they are now so rare! I would be using them like yourself Massu to cover as many types.

It looks as though unless they come up on ebay I will be using metals.more expensive but alas available.

Thanks again for the help

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 11:09:58 PM »
The ultima ratio russians would not fit your needs ?

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 07:22:07 AM »
I am finding it really difficult to locate the Ultima Russians-maybe they have sold out here in the UK? I think that this set would be the best option though. I have been slowly putting away vehicles to one day start an eastern bloc backed army so there is no desperate rush but they would save money buying metal.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 09:16:05 PM »
^Orion is the company I was talking about.  I don't know how expansive their range was, or if they still sell them, but the Chechen conflict minis are pretty unique.  Not great casts, but some cool stuff.

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 03:39:08 PM »
Maybe not modern yet but Airfix seem to have realised that wargamers are part of their market

http://www.modiphius.com/airfix.html

Offline Vintage Wargaming

• Librarian
    • Vintage Wargaming
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 08:47:04 PM »
I am finding it really difficult to locate the Ultima Russians-maybe they have sold out here in the UK? I think that this set would be the best option though. I have been slowly putting away vehicles to one day start an eastern bloc backed army so there is no desperate rush but they would save money buying metal.
Hannants weekly new arrivals email shows Ultima Ratio sets in stock

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 09:56:12 PM »
Thanks Vintage...I will be there in a few moments as I have been looking for these....you are a star Sir!