Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:07:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686612
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 757
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: To Defy a King - Devon Wargames Group  (Read 2894 times)

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
To Defy a King - Devon Wargames Group
« on: November 15, 2015, 11:21:21 AM »
Hi all,
We got to play test the "To Defy a King" set of rules and together with some pictures and a brief description of the play I have included some first impressions.

If you would like to know more then just follow the link to the DWG blog

http://devonwargames.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/to-defy-king-new-model-army-vs-scots.html

Jonathan
Often it is better to remain silent and let people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and remove all possible doubt.

http://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: To Defy a King - Devon Wargames Group
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 11:54:57 AM »
Hey JJ, nice to see those old Mikes/Essex on the table again. Makes me smile to see them  :-*

Regarding the rules can you skip the card based army builder for historical forces and just apply the various period modifiers to what you have?

Can you give a bit more detail on how the formation changes work on the table, as an ex Kings Army re-enactor that is one aspect of these rules that intrigues me.

Offline Mr Steve

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 01:19:04 PM »
Hi Rob
As I have the rules its probably best for me to try and answer your questions
1. Yes you can skip the army builder completely , its there as an option only . Using your own armies instead you can pick out from the rules and army lists any relevant skills/traits that you think are suitable for your own game. One page conveniently lists up all the traits used in these rules therefore allowing you to pick out anything you might like to include or not.
2.From the rulebook:I have edited a little
Formation Changes:
Units are able to change formation during the move phase as follows
Battle Line to hedgehog -whole move
Column to battle Line by expanding frontages
Battle Line to Column would be suicidal especially in the face of the enemy so not allowed.

Expanding Frontages
Raw -1 stand per turn
Trained 2 stands
Veteran 3 stands
must not be in combat and allows non-fighting stands to join in ( eg musketeers from an un-involved end , not allowable for rear rank pikes- as they fight anyway) 

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 11:43:44 PM »
Thanks for the detailed response. I have been looking through some of the reviews of the rules (having totally missed their launch) and they sound interesting. Not sure I can justify the £30 plus on a rulebook impulse buy but.....

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 11:47:31 AM »
they are very pretty rules with lots of nice photos, if that is going to sway you. I have played the game a few times and I really like it. Mind you I have never played any other ECW rules sets so I am hardly in a position to give a fair critic. One on the things I like is that you can get through a whole battle, even a large multiplayer one, in an evening.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 11:26:46 AM »
they are very pretty rules with lots of nice photos, if that is going to sway you.

If they were £15, then maybe but not going to pay £33 to read the rules however many pretty pictures they have. If there was a cheap low graphic version pdf I would have a look.
I am looking for an ECW set that does not gloss over formation changes so that games can be played at regimental or company level without becoming a 1 to 1 skirmish game.