Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:23:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Setting the East Ablaze: New playsheets with the amended rules included  (Read 22218 times)

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
Re: Setting the East Ablaze: New playsheets with the amended rules included
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 10:38:15 AM »
Apologies if bringing this dormant topic back to life is a breach of protocol ???

I bought the hard copy rules last month and they came with a single double-sided playsheet.  I assume the version discussed here has superseded that.  So, my question is, was the issue of finding somewhere to post a downloadable PDF of the updated version ever resolved?  And if the answer to that is "yes", where can I find it please?

Thanks

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 04:38:47 PM »
At least you got some: I bought mine from On Military Matters in the USA and there was no extra QRS at all  :(.   

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 01:12:25 AM »
I could sure use a copy here in the States to turn the tide.  How can I get one too?

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2016, 07:46:54 AM »
Apologies if bringing this dormant topic back to life is a breach of protocol ???

I bought the hard copy rules last month and they came with a single double-sided playsheet.  I assume the version discussed here has superseded that.  So, my question is, was the issue of finding somewhere to post a downloadable PDF of the updated version ever resolved?  And if the answer to that is "yes", where can I find it please?

Thanks

Sir Rodney, yes that's the case. We produced he amended one for ourselves on the back of the amendments we made to the rules. I can send you the amendment sheet if you pm me, but we don't have a pdf version of the Playsheets I'm afraid. The plan is to include one in Red Dawn Rises Vol.2, whenever I can find the time for that.

As for the chaps who didn't get a Playsheet, sorry but can't help you there. I only wrote the rules, but don't publish them. I'd go back to your vendor with that one
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2016, 10:13:38 AM »
I guess it may also help if I (and any others) get a bit busy populating the BGG page for easier reference for a wider audience. I may need to get the figures out, set up a solo game, to then write a battle report, a review and to post up some pix :)

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/191615/setting-east-ablaze

Just need to find a spare weekend....

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2016, 10:27:49 PM »
I guess it may also help if I (and any others) get a bit busy populating the BGG page for easier reference for a wider audience. I may need to get the figures out, set up a solo game, to then write a battle report, a review and to post up some pix :)

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/191615/setting-east-ablaze

Just need to find a spare weekend....

If you find a spare weekend in Scarborough you might be able to use the local club as a place to set up (and not necessarily have to play solo)
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Dr. Warmonger

• Schoolboy
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2016, 09:41:08 AM »
Just wanted to say that your article in Wargames Illustrated started me on a massive and dark path down the world of research into this era of warfare.  I keep on referring back to it, it was great.  The scale of your games inspired me to make my own variation on your game.  So thanks for it all Steve (Ignatieff)

Regards Dr. Warmonger

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2016, 12:44:13 PM »
Setting the East Ablaze - Corrections, Clarifications and Amendments. V.3 (April 2015)

The rules are now exactly three years old, so they are long overdue having a tidy-up and an update. The original set was also riddled with errors, for which I can only apologise. More importantly, since then my gaming club has played hundreds more games, which have shown various improvements along the way.

The main changes to the rules have been to improve the capabilities of the better classes of troops, clarity about how to conduct an infantry bomb attack, new types of mortars, improve the air war rules (these could do with even more flavour, but that's for another time), and generally tidy up some statistical anomalies on fire deviations, cover and the like.

I have shown the changes in red italics.  I hope you find them useful.

Massive thanks to Bob Giglio for his help on these.

Steve Langan, April 2015

---

p.2: Correction - All photographs (c) Iain Blackwood and Steve Langan

p.11: Amendments -

'Class 3: infantry units only: figures in a unit can either move or fire, but not both, unless they are attempting to carry out an infantry bomb attack (see p.30)

Class 4: Entire unit must perform a single action, i.e. move or fire.  Cannot initiate an infantry bomb attack, but can use them defensively (e.g. dropping them over a wall, or from the inside of a building outwards, etc.). Bomb attacks took training, which C4 troops did not have.’

p.15: Amendment -

7.3.4 ....armoured trains), or any troops carrying out an infantry bomb attack (subject to morale test).’

p.17: Amendment -

Mortars: This is a complicated subject in this period. There were small calibre weapons that weighed a ton and were immobile, and large calibre weapons that were relatively light and therefore reasonably portable. To make sense of it I have used calibre as the main determinant, but also weight as a proxy for portability. The benchmark weapon is the breakthrough one of the age: the 81mm Stokes mortar. If in doubt use common sense.

Light mortars move 2D6 and 1D6 over difficult terrain. Light mortars include Stokes mortars, and any other mortar up to 81mm calibre. There are two new classes of mortar, the Heavy mortar, which moves as per a HMG, including no moving and firing, and the trench mortar which is not portable, unless by a special crane and/or vehicle (e.g. The German minenwerfer, which in these rules is a trench mortar)

p.19 - Amendments:

add 8.6.2 Multiple units crossing bridges, narrow defiles, etc

Sometimes a whole stack of units can be held up for an unreasonable amount of time at terrain such as this if the cards don't come out your way in a 'helpful' sequence, which in reality they rarely will.  The way to manage this is as follows: as each card comes out for a unit whose route is blocked, put it on 'overwatch'.  As soon as the lead unit(s) card comes out, and it moves, all the other units stacked back can immediately move as well.  Worst case scenario is that the lead units card comes out last.  This is bad luck, and can be explained away by the fact these narrow crossing can cause confusion even amongst the most organised of armies.  Statistically this is unlikely to happen however. As all the units waiting to move are on overwatch, they can still defend themselves, etc.

Aircraft: all aircraft move 6D6 per move.

HMG's, mortars and Field guns: can relay up to 45 degrees and still fire, but with a -1 to hit

p.21: Amendment -

Add the following line number…

'8.8.3. An infantry or dismounted cavalry unit can loophole a light cover (+1) building or wall by remaining stationary next to the section they want to loophole for one full move.  They cannot carry out any other action for that move.'

p.22: Amendments -

The end of section 8.10.2 should read…

8.10.2.... shuffled into the Action Card deck. Fighters, fighter bombers and light/medium bombers can stay on the board for a maximum of six turns. Heavy bombers can stay on the board for a maximum of nine turns to reflect their much greater range.

8.10.3 - remove existing paragraph and replace with 'all aircraft move a maximum of 6D6 per turn'.

[Rationale: We found in practice it was very hard to manoeuvre aircraft which had less than 6D6 movement, so decided to simplify it and make the difference payload, combat performance and endurance.]

p.23: Amendments -

9.1.3 ...flamethrower, air attack or off table artillery

Also, add the following new line item…

9.1.12.  Infantry attempting to initiate a bomb attack (see p.30 )

p.25: Amendment -

9.6. Morale modifiers, add the following new line item…

'Infantry attempting to attack an armoured vehicle with bombs -1'

p.29: Corrections -

Remove line number 10.2.6.
[Rationale: N.C.O's were from an earlier iteration of the rules. We decided only officers should affect a unit as it slowed them down too much.]

10.2.9 - remove mention of N.C.Os.

10.3.1  .....armoured trains, aircraft or infantry carrying out a grenade attack (after passing a morale test).

p.30: Amendment -

add the following new line number…

10.4.3 'How to conduct an infantry bomb attack'.

C1 figures may bomb attack without taking a morale test.

C2 & C3 infantry and dismounted cavalry may attempt to carry out an offensive infantry bomb attack assuming, a) they are equipped with them in the first place, and b) they pass a morale test.

C4 infantry and dismounted cavalry may only use bombs defensively, as this type of attack took training to execute, which they lacked.

Procedure: The attack must be declared before dicing for morale. If the morale throw is passed, no more than one in three figures in the unit (rounded up) may carry out the attack. If the morale test is failed, the unit must remain stationary for the rest of the move, though they can shoot and/or defend themselves as normal. They do not 'go to ground' in this instance, as it is a failure of the 'offensive spirit' and not core morale.

The  main reason for this is to stop unrealistic mass bomb attacks on the enemies position, though it does accurately portray a bomb attack being 'shot in' as happened in many occasions. Note the entire unit may still advance to contact, or only the one in three, as long as formation distances are maintained (for distances see p.12).

p.30: Amendment -

10.5 Weapons Table

The following line item is changed, to now read as follows, and a new line item (Heavy Mortar) added…

Light mortar (1” blast radius): Effective Range 3-12"; Long Range 12-24"
Heavy mortar (2” blast radius): Effective Range 6-24"; Long Range 24-48"

p.31: Amendments & Corrections -

10.6 Firing modifiers

Firer

'Second and subsequent consecutive rounds on same stationary target for modern field guns (not vehicle mounted) and indirect fire weapons  +1'

'Suppressed troops, moving and firing Class 2 infantry, or any infantry moving and bombing  -1'

Target

'In hard cover (excluding attacks by off-table artillery, bombs, rifle grenades, mountain howitzers, flamethrowers and mortars, which all only take a -1)   -2'

'Obscured or in light cover (excluding attacks by off-table artillery, bombs,....'

10.7 Arcs of Fire

'Infantry, snipers and AA guns can fire all around.'

p.33 – Correction -

10.11.1 the last sentence should now read…

'Note that rifle grenadiers can always select to fire their rifle as normal, instead of, not in addition to, firing a grenade.'

p.33 – Amendment -

Add a new line to the 'Hit Effect on Vehicles or Heavy weapons', after the LMG line:

Aircraft MG's –
vs Soft Skins, as per normal HMGs (use HMG line)
vs Armoured Cars: 2-7 = No Effect, 8-9 = Suppress, 10-12 = Kill
vs Tanks: 2-8 = No Effect, 9-10 = Suppress, 11-12 = Kill
vs Heavy weapons: 2-6 = No Effect, 7-9 = Suppress, 10-12 = Kill.

p.35 – Amendments -

10.15.1  'Only HE and smoke (where specified) are normally allowed.'

10.15.3  'For pre-planned fire to arrive the firer must roll over the battery's Class factor on 1D6. Second and subsequent rounds on the same stationary target get a +1 modifier. However, as always, an unmodified 1 always misses'.

10.15.5  Remove 'For blast sizes, see 10.5 Firing Table above', and replace with the following…

Blast Sizes: 6"/105mm guns have a 2” blast radius; 8-10"/c.155mm guns have a 3” blast radius; larger guns (e.g. 16" naval guns) have a 4” blast radius.

10.15.6. Remove current text and all of 10.15.6.1 and replace with the following…

'Vehicles and Heavy Weapons: Roll on the hit effect table (see 10.12, p.33) for impact effect, counting the shell (of whatever calibre) as a field gun. All other targets, i.e., infantry and cavalry, save on a throw of a 5 or 6 on 1D6. Note that light cover has no effect (things like trees, etc usually added to the carnage), whilst heavy cover (e.g trenches, stone buildings, bunkers, etc) add a +1 to your saving throw. Note also that a direct hit (i.e. on the aiming point) on an open trench negates all of its cover advantage.'

p.36 – Amendment -

10.15.6.3. 'Indirect fire has no effect on concrete fortifications or deep dugouts, unless a direct hit (i.e. on the aiming point) is scored.  If this happens, the calibre of the off-table weapon is critical: 6"/105mm guns - throw 1D6 for each figure, vehicle, etc., with a save on a 4,5,6; 8-10"/c.155mm guns, save on a 5 or 6; anything bigger, save on a 6.

p.37 – Correction -

10.19.1 'An Officer or Leader (though not a Commissar, Shaman, or other confidence tricksters) may attempt to spot an ambush or hidden troops as part of his turn...'

p.38 – Correction -

10.19.2 - remove all mention of N.C.Os.

p.39 – Amendments -

10.21.1 Add the following…

'1 LMG plus four regular rifles also counts for a shot.  AA fire is automatically triggered as soon as an aircraft passes over eligible firers. Note that this is the only time that a unit potentially gets to fire twice in a move, the other being when it draws its card'.

10.21.1.1 Remove the current text and replace with the following…

'A throw of 11 or 12 on 2D6 downs or drives off an aircraft.  Throw 1D6 to see what happens: 1-3 = Driven off the table (removed instantly), or 4-6 = Aircraft crashes, 2D6” in the direction it was travelling. Crew throw 1D6 to save; 4-6 = success, and can then heroically fight their way off the table or be the subject of an 'Albatross Down' style game within a game!  All crew members armed with pistols only, unless they can salvage a LMG (max of one per aircraft, and only on a throw of a 6 on 1D6).

10.21.1.2 - Remove

10.21.1.3 - Remove

10.21.1.4 - Remove

p.40 – Amendment -

'How to bomb'

We have re-written this section completely to make it simpler (it uses the same blast burst now as off-table artillery), to differentiate between pilot skill levels, and to make it funnier in the event of a miss.

Therefore, remove all of sections 10.22.3 and 10.22.4, and replace them with the following..

How to Bomb:

Dropping bombs from aircraft at this period was more luck than skill, though experienced ex-WWI pilots would be better at it than say your (distinctly) average Chinese warlord pilot.

All bombs must land somewhere. To ascertain where you hit, use the (updated) blast deviation circle on p.62. If you do not score a direct hit (7, 8 or 9 on 2D6), throw for how far the bomb lands off-target in the direction indicated on the deviation circle.  C1 pilots throw 1D6 (in inches) for deviation; C2 pilots throw 1D6 +2"; C3 pilots throw 2D6 + 2"; C4 pilots throw 3D6 (high comedy value....).  These overshoots have intentionally been made highly dynamic to simulate the problems of dropping large lumps of metal from height whilst going over 100mph!

Once you have figured this out, throw 1D6. An unmodified throw of 1 (1-2 for C4 pilots) means the bomb is a dud. All other scores mean the bomb goes off. Light bombs have a 1" blast radius; heavy bombs 2". Only heavy bombs can penetrate bunkers or deep heavy cover. Figures under the blast zone save on a 5 or 6 in the open; a 4,5,6 in light cover or a direct hit on a trench; and a 3,4,5,6, in enclosed heavy cover (bunkers, fortifications, etc).

p.41 – Clarification -

10.22.5.2.3 'Figures in cover or trenches: 6. Note that figures in bunkers or deep heavy cover cannot be hit by machine guns.

10.23.1 '....must attack the first friendly unit encountered for one turn. It is assumed in these less concentrated theatres that ground troops do not misidentify their own aircraft.'

p.42 – Amendment -

10.24.2.1 'For each higher tactical rating than opponent   +1'

add:

10.24.2.4 'Less than 2 MGs firing at the target  -1'

10.24.2.5 'More than 3 MGs firing at the target +1'

10.25 - Remove the text in this section and replace it with 'See section 10.21.11 on p.39.'

p.43 – Clarification -

11.1 '...are assumed to be intermixed, unless they have patently failed to penetrate a defensive position, e.g. trench line, building, fortification, etc.'

p.44 – Clarification -

11.5.3 '…though manned un-armoured (remove 'wheeled') vehicles (e.g. Tchankas, Model T-Ford gun carriers, etc) can defend themselves.  All crew can fight and add +1 for cover in the first round only'.

p.45 – Amendment -

11.6. Melee modifiers

'Lance armed cavalry moving into contact in the first round of melee  +1' (all the girls love a lancer, as Harry Flashman probably said!')

'Better class than opponent and not retiring/routing   +1'

12.1. add 'Pursuit ends when the unit is no longer in contact with the enemy. C2 regular cavalry may opt not to pursue on throwing over their class on 1D6. All other cavalry must pursue.'

p.53 – Correction -

The first two lines of the points section should read as follows…

'-1 pt, if rifle armed and not equipped with bombs
-1 pt if infantry or cavalry and armed with a carbine or single shot rifle.'

p.56. – Clarification -

The first line on this page should read as follows…

'If the vehicle is less than fully armoured (e.g. 'The Sutton Skunk or the Minerva A/C) subtract 10pts'

p.62 – Amendments -

Appendix 4: Templates

To better reflect statistical norms, the numbers in the template should be changed as follows: Direct hit happens on a throw of 7, 8 or 9 on 2D6.  Replace number 7 with a 6; replace number 2 with a 5; number 4 with a 10; number 3 with a 4; number 8 with an 11; number 9 with a 3; number 5 with a 2 and number 6 with a 12.

Note that the template should always be laid with the numbers 5 and 6 aligned in the direction of fire, with 6 the furthest point.

Discard the bomb deviation template. Bombs now use the same template as off table artillery (see the amendment to p.40 above).

p.63. – Amendments -

Appendix 5: Army Morale

In the table…

Add 'Chinese Warlord Armies' on line 1.  No test: 0-33% casualties; 3,4,5,6, on 34-39%; 4,5,6 on 40-49%; 5,6, on 50-59%; 6 on 60-100%

The first Bolshevik line should read… 'Early Bolsheviks (up to 1919)'

The Bukharan line should read… ‘Bukharan and other regular Central Asian Armies’

After the Turks line, add the following new line… 'Late Bolsheviks (1919+)’, and use the same factors as the Turks.

'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2016, 12:45:43 PM »

« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 12:51:30 PM by joroas »