Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 09:16:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696191
  • Total Topics: 118746
  • Online Today: 453
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rakky and Markdienekes' battle reports  (Read 971 times)

Offline Rakky

• Schoolboy
Rakky and Markdienekes' battle reports
« on: December 01, 2015, 09:06:55 PM »
Hi, so apologies about the lack of photos for the first 2 reports (only 1 has been written so far), but we have only just started taking photos after our first few matches (I'm a really bad photographer).
Warband photos will follow soon.

Hi, so my brother (MarkDienekes on this forum) and I have just started playing Frostgrave (well, we started about a month ago) and I thought I’d start writing up the battle reports in case anyone is interested in reading them. We are both loving Frostgrave and haven’t played a miniatures game for longer than a month in years, so it’s great to finally find one that captures the imagination and makes me want to play constantly (despite the fact that I seem to lose every game).

Anyway, so we started off with my brother choosing a summoner while I chose a necromancer. We played several matches with these warbands (all of which my brother managed to get more xp in than me) until we reached level 18 and 12. Then we decided to create two new warbands (the aim is to have about 4-5 each after a while).
I chose to go for a witch this time as I had planned to field a team of cultists; however, when out shopping, I came across an awesome group of painted oriental heroes (that name seems a bit weird these days). Since I love kung-Fu and samurai films, these guys struck my imagination straight away so I decided that my Witch (Harkan Stormcaller) embarked on a voyage to an exotic land before arriving in Frostgrave and hired a contingent of samurai and kung-Fu warriors to aid him in his endeavours.

My initial warband consisted of:
Harkan Stormcaller (witch)
Baelfire Karzan (apprentice)
Death Fist (thug)
Miyuki (thug)
Kitsune (thief)
Mifune (infantryman)
Chang (infantryman)
Mistress Death (crossbow woman)
Takashi (archer)
Shen Long (Javileneer)

My brother’s warband consisted of:
Ozwald (Chronomancer)
Avery (Apprentice)
Dusty, Aflala and Rollo (infantrymen)
Hagaa (thug)
Fez (thief)
Egil (crossbowman)
Cuyler (archer)

I felt quite confident going into the first battle as I felt like my new warband would finally manage to win a fight. I was wrong. We opted for the wyrm hunt scenario. What followed was brutal for both of us (mostly me in the game though). It started with the Chronomancer’s archer (Cuyler) nailing Miyuki (my thug), Takashi (my archer) and finally Harkan (my witch) in 3 straight turns. 2 were taken out with critical hits and one with a base roll of a 19. And all 3 were behind heavy cover as well! My wizard vowed that if he survived, he’d be more careful in the future. Takashi vowed that he’d get him next time. Things were looking grim.
On the left side of the field the enemy advanced with 2 infantrymen (Dusty and Aflala) supported by a crossbowman (Egil) hiding in a ruined tower. My apprentice, my remaining thug, Chang (one of my infantrymen) and Shen Long (my javileneer) rushed out to meet them; all making sure they were in cover around an altar. It was looking good when my apprentice bone darted one of the infantrymen, wounding him and bringing him down to 3 health. This was followed by my javilneer hitting the other infantryman and also reducing him to 1 health. As you can imagine I was very pleased.

Unfortunately, this happiness lasted the whole of 2 minutes, as his Egil opened fire on my apprentice (in hard cover) and hit him with a 20, meaning I now had no spell casters left on the field. The fight had just gone from bad to awful. On the next turn, my javileneer was taken out by the same crossbowman (he really shouldn’t have left cover to try and collect the treasure). On the next turn my thug quickly grabbed the treasure icon next to where Shen lay (the wyrm erupted at a treasure icon on the other side of the battleground, right next to where one of my brother’s infantrymen (Rollo) was, meaning they were in combat. My thug was off the field a turn later, after surviving a crossbow attack. Likewise, my infantryman grabbed another treasure, and hoped he could survive a turn of being a big target. Luckily, Mifune cut through one of the injured infantrymen and the Chronomancer (Ozwald) himself. By this time my opponent was running his thief off with a treasure and so was I.
There wasn’t much left on the field now (I had my crossbowman and Mifune my infantryman), whilst Chang (my other infantryman) was hobbling off at an incredibly slow rate (he’d been hit by an arrow when he was exposed and so was trying to escape with treasure whilst being extremely injured). The Chronomancer’s apprentice (Avery) had his infantryman and the deadly archer and crossbowman and epically stepped up to leading the warband, casting elemental bolt on the wyrm in combat with his infantryman. Not only did it hit the wyrm, but it also almost killed it. Rollo finished it off in the next turn and proceeded to collect the treasure.
Whilst this was occuring, the Chronomancer’s thug was attempting to leave with another piece of treasure. Luckily, I had flanked with my crossbow woman and she plugged a bolt into the back of Hagaa taking him out of the match and leaving the treasure in an awkward place.

Meanwhile, Mifune was skulking in cover, waiting to take the treasure-laden Rollo out, but Avery leapt him safely away. Now down to 3 against 2, with only 1 treasure token left, a stalemate began; however, this was broken when fast act enabled the archer to shoot Mifune (taking him out). All alone and heavily outnumbered, Mistress Death fled the field.

So, a really enjoyable game, in which we somehow managed to walk away with half the treasure. Mifune died, which was a pity as he’d performed so well. Miyuki and Shen were both going to miss the next game as well. The Chronomancer’s warband fared worse as he lost his Hagaa (a thug) and Alfala (an infantryman). Our treasure gave us a good amount of gold (300gc), as well as 3 scrolls (plague of insects, shield and steal health) and a grimoire (awareness), so I was quite happy.

Both my wizards swore that they would perform better in the rematch; famous last words…

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
Re: Rakky and Markdienekes' battle reports
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 12:17:22 AM »
Nice report thx for sharing.