Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:20:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691054
  • Total Topics: 118367
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Woodland Indians size questions  (Read 3636 times)

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
Woodland Indians size questions
« on: December 05, 2015, 03:12:22 PM »
Hello
Well my nephew loves the F&I war and I purchased Muskets and Tomahawks at Fall In so I think we are going to give it a go.It really shouldn't be that much of a project as I have both French and British painted up for the SYW so I just need to do a few Indians and colonials.
I want to get Indians who are compatible with my Foundry SYW figures.In case anyone doesn't know both the French and British ranges from Foundry are on the larger, chunky side(some even say the hideous side but I like them!)
I used to own a bunch of the Conquest Indians,now sold by Warlord, and IMO they are too small to go with what I have so they are ruled out.
I was thinking the new Bob Murch figures might fit well even though they are for a earlier period as most of his Pulp stuff is large and chunky.
Redoubt is out as I have had some bad experience with both service and casting problems from them in the past.

So no Conquest/Warlord, or Redoubt.How are Blue Moon ? Are the Northstar figures just Crusaders packed for the game?
Brigade?
Thanks,Pete

« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 03:15:23 PM by fitterpete »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Woodland Indians size questions
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 03:17:57 PM »
Hi for foundry I would go with galloping major and redoubt enterprises range. The northstar will be ok too.

I use foundry brits, redoubt scots (they are very nice) galloping major colonials and northstar rangers. My indians are are northstar with a few perrys mixed in

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 03:55:55 PM »
This thread comes up once in a while, search through the threads here, you will find some great photos that show them side by side.  I'd search it up for you, but I'm lazy  ;)

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 04:01:02 PM »
I searched almost a whole day.
I love LAF but the search is godawful.

Lowtardog
Do you know if the Northstar Indians are those made by Crusader? There is a  Crusader distributor I can drive to and pick them up if they are ;)

Thanks for the responses

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 04:08:41 PM »
No they are different mate, north star pnes are sculpted by mike owen, the crusader ones may be ok but havent seen them in the flesh so to speak, from pics look ok

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 04:12:59 PM »
These were mine Indians are northstar, should be easyish to get as come in box sets from northstar and pretty common
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=59427.0

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 04:38:32 PM »
Thanks Lowtardog!
Your figures are amazing.The pic you have of the Foundry Brit,GM Provincial militia and Northstar Indian is very helpful
but damit now I want to order some GM Provincial militia too!

Just out of curiosity why didn't you go with Galloping Major Indians? They have a pretty large range.

I love Mike Owens sculpts(I have way too much Artizan figures) and his sculpts are usually of the size and style I was looking for.
Thanks again.Time to hit the online stores ;)
Pete 

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 04:55:19 PM »
The only reason I didnt was I picked up a lot of the north star indians and rangers from LAF and a mate in a too good to miss deal :D

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 09:58:25 PM »
You can mix both Northstar and Galloping Major figures.
They are both on the big size.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 10:27:52 AM »
Galloping Major Miniatures would be my first recommendation. Both the Huron and Mohawk are available and scale in well with the larger Foundry figures.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 12:28:31 AM »
Okey doke
I ordered the Mohawk deal from Galloping Major and the 3 packs that Bob Murch did for Flint and Feather.That should give me 48 Indians to paint.
I was seriously looking at those colonial militia at GM but after opening my SYW storage bins there was no way I was painting anymore guys in tricorns lol

I was going to get the F&F figures anyway so even if they don't fit in its ok.I saw them at Historicon and should have got them then but at the time I didn't have M&T or know my nephew wanted to play F&I war.I actually bought Muskets and Tomahawks to try and modify it for early darkest Africa games.

If I decide I want/need more I'll get the Northstar warband deal.But for now I'm gonna sit still.

I'll post again when I get the figures and give my opinion on them.
Thanks for all the help,Pete 

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 11:50:12 PM »
For my King Philip's War Indians I used Crusader, Conquest, Perry and Brigade Games KPW Indians. All mix in well with each other without noticeable hight or 'build' issues.
When I first looked at the Conquest Indians I thought they were too cartoonish but they painted up very well.

Some pictures here http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=81336.0

And Silent Invader did some comparisons here http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=13151.0
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 10:11:33 PM »
Thanks to all for the Galloping Major recommendations!
They are exactly what I was looking for. I just opened the pack a few minutes ago so nothing done with them yet but I like the sculpting style and sizewise they fit perfect with my foundry SYW.
I think they will paint up very well.Lots of large flat surfaces to do my thing on.
So maybe the Huron and Provincials could be in the works for later on.

Oh still waiting for the Bob Murch Indians from Crucible Crush.Canada Post .................sux

Thanks again,Pete

Offline kingsmt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2015, 06:45:23 AM »
http://kingsmtminis.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23_25

Check out the Over Mountain Men. These were sculpted to match Galloping Major and Redoubt. There are over 250 different heads available. Making Frontiersmen, Couer De Bois, Scouts or French, British and American Militia is easy and there are 16 action packed sculpts to choose from.

You get to choose whatever heads that you want. And yes, the heads are free with the figures.

Galloping Major is the European distributor for Kings Mountain Miniatures.