Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:19:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Bark texture ideas?  (Read 2246 times)

Offline Zaheer

• Mad Scientist
Bark texture ideas?
« on: December 19, 2015, 10:32:44 AM »
Hello all,

I'm working on some tree trunks and stumps, and am looking for an appropriate bark texture. I'm probably going to impress detail onto putty with a twig, branch or other piece of plant (or anything else with appropriate detail). Does anyone have any go-to's or bright ideas for materials that will look 'right' (I'm not bothered about 100% accuracy) in 28mm? In the meantime I'll be keeping my eyes on the ground whilst out for walks!

Thanks, Chris.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: Bark texture ideas?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 11:50:36 AM »
Well, you could use actual branches...

- Bake in the oven to dry and sterilise
- Brush on a couple of coats of polyurethane varnish to seal them
- Prime
- Paint!

Beyond that I suppose it depends on what exactly you're looking to achieve, and in what materials, and how many you want to make.

Strips of heavy crepe paper dipped in a water-glue mix wrapped around the trunk look good for Palms and such.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 01:10:28 PM »
I once used painting tape* for palm-trunks. In that case it was ideal cause I wrapped this slightly textured tape (probably for making it more easy to bend it into corners) in circling rows around an otherwise smooth and flat branch.

Maybe You can make some idea for nonPalmTrunks out of it?

* don't ask, please, I do not know the correct name in English
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 05:41:05 PM »
I'd be tempted to make a flat type of printing block covered in the texture you want, and press the detail on with that, it'd definately work with a putty and might even work with paint -the latter would be quickest of course.

I once used painting tape* for palm-trunks.

* don't ask, please, I do not know the correct name in English

Masking tape chum.  :)

Offline Zaheer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 06:55:45 PM »
Good ideas, I think you're on similar pages to me, Phil that is very close to the idea that currently is in the lead. I'm just seeking that magic plant with that magic texture on it (especially if I can get it off ebay in the UK).

Masking tape definitely needs to be born in mind, I wonder if it can be puckered with heat?

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 07:51:49 PM »
Masking tape definitely needs to be born in mind, I wonder if it can be puckered with heat?

There's only one way to find out. Plastic tape might work better, it'd shrink, stick solidly and just need a slap of paint.

Textured tape might work too... found these on a quick image google.
Trimbrite Safety Tread Textured Tape

Textured Traction Tape
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 07:57:47 PM by 6milPhil »

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 10:43:01 PM »
My two cents for another option.  I use fabric covered floral wire for the base tree.  The fabric cover allows other materials to stick to the trees.  Then I wrap my trunks in floral tape.  It is a semi sticky adhesive tape that is activated by stretching it.  It sticks to both the fabric and itself.  That is my tree base.  For the bark I use latex caulking painted on with cheap a disposable brush.  Latex caulking will take acrylic paint easily.  I also use said brush to texture the bark.  In my opinion at that scale the bark will not be heavily defined so the lines and veins in the caulking will give the random appearance of bark without much detail.  Here are some examples. 

Hope that gives you some more ideas. 
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 08:43:18 AM »
I find just scoring quick lines in green stuff and I've also used a wee rough rock to press some detail in places on this model. This was supposed to be the Great Oak in Sherwood Forrest. The 'R+M' are supposed to be for Robin and Marion.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 08:46:41 AM by Andym »

Offline Zaheer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 01:00:19 PM »
Thanks for the extra ideas, I'm spoilt for choice now, and more than a little intimidated! It's clear that there are lots of options out there, I'll have to give them all a go. Excellent looking foliage Snitchy and Andy.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 03:39:18 AM »
I've also used torn bits of a textured paper by NOCH. I don't think it was meant for bark texture, but it works well for that.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.