Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:47:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Beyond the Gates of Antares... It Begins!  (Read 8023 times)

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
Re: Beyond the Gates of Antares... It Begins!
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2015, 09:38:23 PM »
Nice looking terrain, but what really caught my eye is the pjs on the figs you've shown for scale, lovely work. :-I

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 02:15:25 PM »
Indeed - you should show us more of your work major, lovely stuff there!

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 03:25:01 PM »
Looking good! Very reminiscent of the vegetation in the rulebook, but in a constructive way where you're striking off from what they did and are building on it, expanding and helping codify the "Antares visual".

I really like the way BtGoA is "coining" a new aesthetic of a sci-fi universe. I wonder if 30 years from now anyone will chance upon pictures of your terrain and think of it as "that cool, iconic, old-school Antares style" much like the way we think of the Rogue Trader visual today :)
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 06:49:57 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys. :)

Just to note though - those models I posed with the terrain were handy in my case, and each one represents hours of painting! The plan here is to try and get the Concorde done in less time than ~20 hours each or whatever, and so it is unlikely that they will look quite as refined. However, I aim to get a nice sharp look with good contrasts and strong colours so that they look strking on the tabletop. I will also try and avoid metallic paints if I can, but we'll see.

Right now, I'm working up the white slowly (not enough to see any difference yet in photos however - my photgraphy skills are good enough to pick out "slighly different white" areas from "white" on all-white models!). The primer didn't go on as smoothly on all the models as I would have liked either, and a few mouldlines along the edges of armour panels (which I left as they didn't seem obtrusive) are more obvious now I've applied a shading wash. So I'm having to go back and fix those a bit too, which is irritating but necessary. Once the whites are done, I'll add some other colours and post some more progress pix.

@ Rhoderic:

Xilos is a jungle world (well, the relevant land-based bits are) that has not been settled for a looong time. I wanted to try and capture that Pandora look from Avatar a bit, and to contrast sharply against the planned schemes for the troops.

I have more crystal desert/wasteland terrain planned too, and some quick "stacking-boxes" buildings terrian is coming further down the line to represent various lab facilities and military outposts.

I do want to keep the stuff fun-looking and flexible, as well as gaming and storage friendly.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2015, 06:59:33 PM »
Familiar with this tutorial?
http://fromthewarp.blogspot.nl/2011/12/white-scars-and-how-to-paint-white.html

Might be handy for those dudes in white armoured :)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2015, 07:40:39 PM »
@ Rhoderic:

Xilos is a jungle world (well, the relevant land-based bits are) that has not been settled for a looong time. I wanted to try and capture that Pandora look from Avatar a bit, and to contrast sharply against the planned schemes for the troops.

I have more crystal desert/wasteland terrain planned too, and some quick "stacking-boxes" buildings terrian is coming further down the line to represent various lab facilities and military outposts.

I do want to keep the stuff fun-looking and flexible, as well as gaming and storage friendly.

Ah, I see. Those plants just struck me as being strongly inspired by the photos in the rulebook, but of course there are countless other sources the inspiration could have come from, like Avatar.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2015, 08:48:58 PM »
@ Malebolgia:

I am, but thank you for reminding me of it! It's pretty much how I mostly paint all my colours anyway (i.e., start with a light basecoat, glaze down until I get the right base tone, then selectively glaze futher to get the shade - finally, add the small highlights in near-white). :)

@ Rhoderic:

Not at all; you weren't wrong!

That stuff in the rulebook did strongly remind me of Avatar though, so I felt that using those inspirations of brightly-coloured jungles was a good way of making something seem familiar yet very alien as well. Also, the rulebook pointed me in the direction of some other scenics (the green logs with the flowers), and I have since managed to find out where they came from. So, the rulebook has served as a starting point for me; now, I want to set the same tone, but give it my own twist too - an homage if you will. I feel that's the "Rogue Trader" thing to do afterall!  ;)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2015, 02:10:46 AM »
Very small update:

Frustratingly, the washes I used weren't dark enough, so there wasn't enough contrast when I started adding the highlights. After getting three models done, I went back with a mid-grey and forced them a bit more. At the moment it looks a bit stark in the photo due to poor light, but I have managed some soft blends without making the main white colour too dark. Final pure white highlights are still to be applied, and then I'll be moving onto the other colours on the models.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 01:39:59 PM by Major_Gilbear »

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2015, 04:42:40 PM »
I really like that. I look forward to seeing it with the final highlights added.  :)
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."