Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:21:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 898
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tabletop Wargames Builder. A universal rules system  (Read 9237 times)

Offline Denis Nazarets

• Assistant
Re: Tabletop Wargames Builder. A universal rules system
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 03:30:37 PM »
New update available. TWB Chapter 8: Hide and Seek. Read about sneaking up on the enemy, ambushes and surprise attacks. This chapter also covers the mechanics of orders and stratagems that enhance troops or bring in entire new gameplay abilities. Finally, I've detailed the deployment of the main force and reserve force, infiltration, and other less conventional ways to arrive into the thick of combat.

This chapter almost completes the basic rules and the skirmish section. Special classes of models and types of terrain are the last remaining pieces before we can see how all of this works with massive regiments I've been talking about on this and other forums.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 03:57:14 PM »
I'll have a closer look at this when I get some time for it!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 06:03:54 PM »
This chapter almost completes the basic rules and the skirmish section.

Once the basic rules / skirmish bits are all together it will be easier to appreciate how everything works together, not to mention actually give it a go.

Clearly this is a labour of love for you.  8)

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Denis Nazarets

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 10:20:44 PM »
The biggest update up till now is here! This chapter opens the second part of the rulebook and offers a lot of rules for specific types of models. TWB originally paid a lot of attention to the physics of tabletop environment, and with the introduction of Big models it goes even further. Smash petty foes and send them flying like a Sauron or stampede them into dust like a herd of rampaging gnues; squash the meek and ram the worthy ones head-on.

While dominating the land, it is no longer safe to neglect the skies. Flying deathbringers from above will pluck out unfortunate's eyes while bigger ones will snatch riders or even horses from the ground only to send them screaming and tumbling through the air towards wet and splashy doom. This is but the icing on the cake.

For the main dish Tabletop Wargames Builder actually takes your battles beyond the table. Literally. The concept of the Sky featured in this section allows flyers soaring high above to pick any target on or off the battlefield, such as troops held in reserve, meaning no one is out of harm's way anymore. Bombers hum ominously preparing to drop their payload and fighters from both sides zoom towards each other to engage in games of cat and mouse.

Tabletop wargames just got a whole new dimension.     

Oh, and there is cavalry too!

Offline Denis Nazarets

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2016, 02:16:43 PM »
The latest update covers the remaining classes such as all types of vehicles, artillery, and heroes.
Read now: Chapter 9½: Full Throttle

Offline Denis Nazarets

• Assistant
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 01:24:30 PM »
Tabletop Wargames Builder Chapter 10 is out, featuring complete rules for using terrain and weather conditions in your games as well as fighting in exotic environments, such as underwater, for example. This chapter also explains how to garrison, assault and bring down buildings that don't allow to physically place models inside.

As always, it is complete with illustrations, and a special PDF edition for 2 people out there who actually support us on Patreon. 

Two more updates are scheduled for this month. "Regiments" and "Formations" will cover the aspect of the game you've been asking about the most: fielding large armies and fighting 100 vs 100, 300 vs 300 and even bigger battles.

TWB is an independent game engine (and is intended to remain such) that runs on enthusiasm and community support. If you like what you see and want the project to have a bright future, there are many ways you can contribute. Inviting your friends to check out TWB and making a donation are just a few. Because every single voice and every single dollar counts. What we aim for is nothing short of top-grade content spiced up with great-looking themed art and full-colour page designs.

Offline Denis Nazarets

• Assistant
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2016, 04:23:24 PM »
Chapter 11 has arrived, and skirmish engagements will turn into full-scale war with column after column marching to be ground between the rolling dice.

It took a bit longer than expected but I was able to verify a lot of possible issues and put in some words for each. Now, this must leave some questions, particularly about modern age combat, which will be answered shortly in the upcoming “Formations” chapter.

TWB remains an independent project aspiring to the highest standards, and community funding is vital for it to grow and evolve. What I believe in is that we are creating not just another game but a different perspective to look at wargaming industry as a whole.

Enjoy reading and thank you for your support.

Offline Denis Nazarets

• Assistant
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2016, 03:43:59 PM »
Chapter 12: Formations - the concluding part for mass miniature combat designed with ultimate gaming experience in mind. This time more tactical options and more personality to your regiments. Indomitable phalanxes and shieldwalls, a wedge that cuts through enemy ranks like a knife through a cliché, a stomping and bellowing or perhaps shambling and moaning horde, and more. Nothing forbids your dwarves to form a testudo to frustrate elven horse archers swarming around in Cantabrian circles, or assemble musketeers into boxes with 360° field of fire which can also move in any direction. There's also modern warfare, 'cause, you know, duty calls.

This officially wraps it all up. 12 chapters from the basic concept of wargaming with individual miniatures to fielding mighty armies on and off the table. The 12 labours are complete… Wait, it's just the beginning. Next comes the biggest and the sweetest part of the book: weapons, skills, spells and lots of character profiles, complete with points value, so that you can just pick any miniatures you like and start playing.

As always, stay tuned for regular updates and please support the project if you like it. TWB is an independent creation for the greater good of wargaming, and everyone's support is what keeps the boat floating. Also follow us on Twitter (@IGamesDesign) and Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/twbgame/) for more updates like work in progress and such, and share the news with fellow gamers. We're steadily moving towards open testing, so let's keep the discussion going.

P.S. Chapter 11 on Regiments has been revised, so don’t miss the post preceding Chapter 12 with a list of changes.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 04:05:45 PM by Denis Nazarets »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2016, 10:28:50 PM »
Cantabrian circle - as performed at 1:10 in here?

Offline Denis Nazarets

• Assistant
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2016, 09:37:30 PM »
Cantabrian circle - as performed at 1:10 in here?

I saw them form a circle but from the video I couldn't figure out if it affected the gameplay somehow.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2016, 11:21:49 PM »
I saw them form a circle but from the video I couldn't figure out if it affected the gameplay somehow.

I think the spoken commentary mentions thepurpose of the tactic, but, yes, it is hard to tell the actual mechanics from those videos.

Offline Denis Nazarets

• Assistant
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2016, 11:15:45 PM »

TWB Open Testing in August

With the next update TWB project enters the stage of open tests. What do you need to participate? Your favourite miniatures and accessories, and TWB rules available here. The upcoming update will cover prehistoric to late medieval settings.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2016, 05:00:23 PM »
very nice
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Denis Nazarets

• Assistant
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2016, 11:09:08 PM »
Open testing begins!

Each update of TWB brought something unique, like real-time concept, game physics, off-the-table combat. What do we have this time? More weapons than in skirmish-oriented Mordheim, with much more gameplay difference between them than in role-playing D&D, and... all of this works on apocalyptic scale as well as in duels and small skirmishes. Not to mention that it's just a small portion of the planned equipment-based content dedicated to settings from prehistoric to medieval. There is a lot more where that came from.

What's even more important - you can finally try it out for yourselves as I've put together an alpha version of builds and points system for the said periods. This is something I would really appreciate your feedback on. Follow the link. Go ahead and experiment with those, build your own unique characters.

I've also done some minor but important revisions throughout the entire book and compiled them into a single page for your convenience. You can check those online and download the pdf version.

Last but not least, you can see the examples of new graphics for the book. This is the quality level I've set for the visuals in TWB, and with luck the person I've signed up for this job will stay on the team to help bring you a fat folio packed with lots of lush full-colour pages. This largely depends on your active support of the project.

TWB is an independent start-up with the purpose to expand the potential of miniature games, make them more available, unite players collecting miniatures from different game systems as well as those that don't have their official rulebooks. I hope this will greatly encourage individual designers and sculptors to create miniatures they like, knowing that every unique model is playable and demanded, make them more competitive and in the end benefit us all. I wrote all this because we've just passed an important milestone. What will happen next? The book will continue to evolve, new content will be added, layout will improve and issues fixed. I hope all of you will stay with us on this journey, and I will do my best. Thank you.

Offline Denis Nazarets

• Assistant
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2016, 08:40:03 PM »
This update covers ages from great geographical discoveries to steampunk fiction. You get rules for scores of various big guns, advanced hand weapons and ammunitions, as well as vehicle chassis to build tanks, walkers and more. Into these a dozen and a half pages I've packed dozens of "Armybooks" worth of gameplay info when it comes to assembly of your own engines of war. 

Stay tuned for further updates rich with content, and please support us – TWB is a huge project and it needs crowdfunding to remain as it is: independent and player-friendly.

Your feedback is very important, so please feel free to comment and share your thoughts.

Also, if you like TWB, be sure to tell your friends to check it out. A lot more is in store for the near future.