Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:02:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686454
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fiends Rampant - A Dragon Rampant Project Diary  (Read 9647 times)

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
Fiends Rampant - A Dragon Rampant Project Diary
« on: January 22, 2016, 12:56:36 AM »
*CAUTION - MATURE THEMES AHEAD*

I picked up the Dragon Rampant rules on a whim because Lion Rampant has picked up a few players at the club, but I couldn't think of an army I wanted to paint up for that. Reading the book, I realised that DR was the fantasy system I've been waiting for since I started gaming in 1996; generic, but still meaty enough to get to grips with, fast playing and open to any miniature in your collection. I've played some HotT, Mordhiem and Frostgrave, but none of them really did it for me.

My other "light reading" of late has been the Vampire: The Masquerade Clanbook Tzimisce (the 1995 version that came in a black plastic bag), I was taken in by the section on Clan History and the halcyon days of the Dark Ages, twisted vampiric lords ruling over their Eastern European peasants openly and waging war against their neighbors.

And so, another project begins...

For those unfamiliar with the World of Darkness and the Tzimisce Vampire clan, some information can be found here: http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Tzimisce (Warning: Mature Content, sexual violence, torture and sadism)

"But we knew secret magics and were mighty in war."

Cainites

I have a coupe of "somewhat inhuman" vampires in my collection already, and I can gather more as I find them to fill out a unit of Undead (No Feelings), Flying Elite Foot. Though it will likely be a Reduced Model Unit, I feel the three I have is still a little too few.

This fellow:

Is set to be my Leader, probably with a small retinue of Homunculi and Szlachta (Guardian Ghouls). Yes, he's a bit on the pricey side, but only about as much as a Batman minis figure, so I think I can swing it. His twisted menagerie will be a bit more tricky, as I'm not much of a sculptor.

Kine
Naturally, there needs to be some cattle to protect the lands during the day, so I went ahead and ordered a box of these while Warlord still has free shipping:

Ok, so they don't scream "Slavic", but the options were pretty limited and I can do a couple of units of Light Foot and some Light Missiles and still have spares. I'll have a hunt for some suitable heads and shields to swap and see what I come up with.

Revenants
How can I do Tzimisce justice without some Bratoviches (Bellicose Foot) to keep the filthy peasants in line? Thankfully, Privateer Press have me covered:

Vozhd
Again, can't have a proper Tzimisce army without a Vozhd, a War Ghoul fleshcrafted together out of at least 15 people and animals and sent rolling towards a petrified enemy. Not quite sure how to realise this Greater Warbeast (Fear), but I may try and get my hands on this beauty from Helldorado:

Fleshcrafted "Hounds" (Lesser Warbeasts) may be on the cards, assuming I can find suitably vile miniatures, plus I think this;

with a bit of work may fit the theme nicely as a Reduced Model Heavy Riders.

Should have some painted Vampires to show in a couple of days.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Fiends Rampant - A Dragon Rampant Project Diary
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 03:36:08 AM »
Pretty cool idea.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 05:27:33 AM »
Interesting idea, I'd love to see what you do with it.  :)

Offline Vindice

• Scientist
    • And Then Dice Happened
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 07:02:20 AM »
Top hole. Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 01:04:41 PM »
Interesting direction to go in for a project with a twist, like the idea  :)

Fireforge Games have Steppe Warriors (FFG008) that might provide you with some alternate bodies & heads to work with/mix-up.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 02:51:42 AM »
Some progress at last!

First off, Canites:

(Unknown make, GW, GW)
Half of the Canite unit; painted, started and undercoated.

My Warlord order arrived, 36 minis to assemble before tomorrow night.  :o

Built two spearmen over lunch (only 34 left to go!), the spawn will be my stand-in Vozhd until I can find something bigger and more disturbing.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 05:32:11 AM »
Creepy

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 10:36:16 AM »
Great start to what sounds like an interesting project. What about these hasslefree Cossack heads for your peasants to give them that Eastern European Slavic look?  http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=cossack-heads-%285%29~hfkol100&category=sci%252dfi-%26%0D%0Aweird-war~kolektiv-%28weird-war-dwarves%29

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 03:33:53 AM »
Got everything done for my first game tonight, though I'll still have to proxy three Vampires (probably with other vampires from my SOTR stuff).

Two units of Light Foot

Light Missiles

I have to say, for about $1AUD a figure, these guys aren't a bad kit. Little in the way of flash or mold lines and they fit together quite well. Now to paint all 36 of the buggers!  lol

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 10:58:58 PM »
Played my first game of DR Friday night, was a lot of fun even though I lost. Most of the units worked the way I thought they would and I came away with plenty of ideas on how to run the army in future.

I have to say, DR is by far the best Osprey rules set I've played to date (FYI: have not played LR), the perfect game for something quick and fun on a Friday night. 

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 11:50:53 PM »
Vampires finished construction:

Having a lot of fun painting each one uniquely. The two in the back were my first finecast miniatures and will probably be my last; the material is ok to work with, but the casting is worse than most whitemetal minis on the market.  :-[

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 12:38:14 AM »
WIP on the vzhod:

It's a GW "mutalith vortex beast" (or something equally as silly) with a steadily growing addition of hands, heads, eyes and tentacles. It's not quite as "blobbly" as I would have liked, but I think with some blended flesh tones and plenty of TCR and Nurgle's Rot, it should be gross enough to fit the bill.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 10:50:01 PM »
Got a second game in, against a friend fielding his old WHFB Goblins. I only had to proxy two minis this time, should be picking up the last of the army this week. Painting not progressing quite as quick as I'd like though...

Fiends on the march.

Goblin hordes.

My Empire of the Dead table serves reasonably well as a fantasy field of battle.

Peasants (light foot) charge into the trolls (greater warbeasts), more afraid of their masters than the enemy.

Greater warbeasts clash! The Vzohd came off better this time, the beast was a rampaging machine of destruction, breaking three enemy units!

Discussing the rules with my opponent and club-mates.

The game went well, I was winning early on, but as soon as the light foot broke, my opponent capitalised and swung back hard. Thanks to the Vzohd, I managed to hold the line and beat the goblins into breaking and fleeing.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
Re: Fiends Rampant - A Dragon Rampant Project Diary, Vozhd Finished!
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 10:57:08 PM »
Got the big nasty finished last night:

I just wanted to sleep, but some kind of force made me keep painting.  ;)

Yellow Glaze, TCR and Nurgle's Rot give some visceral elements to the detail.

"The last and rarest sort of ghoul is the vzohd, or war ghoul. These loathsome creatures are generally used only when besieging an enemy outpost..."

Sweet dreams.

Offline barbaric splendor

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 11:11:45 PM »
Looks great - nice work! I am sure he will get a lot of attention on the table!