Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:51:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: GoT Compendium - Community Feedback Thread - HERALDRY???  (Read 6114 times)

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
GoT Compendium - Community Feedback Thread - HERALDRY???
« on: February 09, 2016, 08:26:22 PM »
Fellow Adventurers and ASoFaI Enthusiasts!

Based your the feedback, here are revised thoughts on how to make this work with clarity and sustainability. My thinking tends to be more lateral than sequential - so I invite other perspectives and preferences!

Please review the design thinking and respond with your support on a scale of 5 to 1 in this thread below.

"5" = "fully support"
"4" = "support with minor reservations"
"3" = "needs more discussion/input"
"2" = "don't support, but wont' oppose"
"1" = "oppose"

For anything "3" or lower, please specify what is needed to move your support closer to "5"

STRUCTURE

We will gather GoT/ASoIaF discussions under one stickied thread - not a child board, for now.

The first post will be reserved as a compendium of links to individual topic threads with the following sections in the body of the post:

Roll Call / Fellow Travelers  I invite your thoughts here - "League of ASoFaI Enthusiasts"?
   * Hyperlinks to each LAF Adventurer's GoT related thread in an alphabetical list.
   * Subsection for other projects from around the interwebz not otherwise in this forum (Here or as a final category below as being outside LAF?)

Westerosi Heraldry References
   * Visual references / citations from GRRM/authorized descriptions of house sigils
   * Organized by "Seven Kingdom" houses, with sworn bannermen underneath each (Any objections to using my copy of "The World of Ice and Fire" as
      a primary reference?
I could scan and "snip" images from art there.  It does have GRRM's imprimatur.)

Kitbashing Households & Bannermen - Design references & Ideas (Redundant with personal project threads??)

Westerosi Scenery

Gaming in Westeros - Rules & Scenarios

PROCESS

I have volunteered build and curate this first post with supporting recommendations/call outs to me from the community via PM so as to not clutter the thread. I'm guessing the Moderator has the magical powers to edit my first post if I get abducted by space aliens. (However, I do relish the opportunity to curate this body of work for the foreseeable future.)

After that, Adventurers can choose to post in this thread or trust their updated threads in this or other forums will be found via the compendum of links in the first post of this stickied thread.

BEFORE I START BUILDING THIS OUT - WHAT ELSE AM I MISSING IN THE DESCRIPTION ABOVE??

In service,

DG
Non nobis solum
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 05:06:24 PM by Dilettante Gamer »
With goodwill to all and malice towards none...

http://dilettantegamer.blogspot.com/

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Game of Thrones/A Song of Fire & Ice Compendium Thread - Pre-Work Proposal
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 09:34:43 PM »
It's a 5 from me!

So are you suggesting each of the categories above would be a separate post made by you at the top of the thread, to be regularly updated? If we have something we want to be listed in the posts, we contact you to add it? If so, sounds like a good plan to me! :)

How about for each person, links to the relevant LAF threads followed by links to any outside blogs and such, even if they contain much the same material. Give us a sentence or two to sum up the project if we want, model ranges used, houses featured, etc...

For the heraldry, how abut multiple interpretations being listed? The 'official' ones from the World Of Ice And Fire Book, plus the 'official' TV show ones, many of which are very different, plus any other interpretations. Would you link to images, or have the images themselves in the post? That could quickly build up....

The 'kitbashing' list might well be redundant with the personal logs.

The 'scenery' post might not be that well populated, but I'd argue it's still worth having. Generic medieval scenery should be featured as well I think.

With the top posts having these lists, would the rest of the thread be a general discussion of all things Westeros? Sounds like a plan to me.

As for names, how does "Wargaming In Westeros" sound? "League Of Westeros Wargamers"?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 09:37:13 PM by Charlie_ »

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 10:25:49 PM »
Secretly I'm a bit proud I started the thinking about indexing the Westeros stuff. :D ;D

I think Charlie's options for the name are good, as Westeros is a "neutral" name, while ASOIAF is mostly associated with the books and GOT with the show. By Westeros we cover both.

For me its  a 5* too, although I'd like to add the suggestion of also adding photos of our own interpretation of the heraldry in the reference thread. So if you'd look at for example the Boltons, there would be the World of ice and fire version, the show version but also Captain Blood's amazing piece of art.
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 10:39:44 PM »
I'm broadly a 5 - although it does sound a bit complicated!

- Westeros is perhaps too narrow a title... (What about Essos with all those Braavosi, Dothraki and Unsullied?!)
- I'd be inclined to keep it simple and just call it 'The LAF Game of Thrones topics index' or something self-explanatory like that.
- Then just link out to all relevant threads, be they primarily gaming, painting, kitbashing, terrain, pontification or whatever...
- Can't quite get my head around how the heraldry section would work... Maybe that should just be a thread on its own which people can add to? (Linked out to from the sticky index thread of course... )
- I'd put any other non-LAF links in a separate listing from the index of LAF threads.

I suppose all of which minor reservations make me a 4  :D

Thanks for taking this on Wade.

Valar Morghulis.

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 10:47:12 PM »
Charlie - Thank you for modelling the way to respond. (pun intended)

It's a 5 from me!

So are you suggesting each of the categories above would be a separate post made by you at the top of the thread, to be regularly updated? If we have something we want to be listed in the posts, we contact you to add it? If so, sounds like a good plan to me! :)

Spot on. One compendium post with sectioned lists on the top of the thread. (Seemed to work well on Warseer with rumor summaries/images.)

How about for each person, links to the relevant LAF threads followed by links to any outside blogs and such, even if they contain much the same material. Give us a sentence or two to sum up the project if we want, model ranges used, houses featured, etc...

Acknowleding your refinments of a) adding link to LAFer's blogs in addition to their thread and b) Asking for a descriptive sentence or two in their own words.  Thank you!

For the heraldry, how abut multiple interpretations being listed? The 'official' ones from the World Of Ice And Fire Book, plus the 'official' TV show ones, many of which are very different, plus any other interpretations. Would you link to images, or have the images themselves in the post? That could quickly build up....

The 'kitbashing' list might well be redundant with the personal logs.
  I'm not sold on this but the intent is to highlight model lines/figures to match houses and personalities.

The 'scenery' post might not be that well populated, but I'd argue it's still worth having. Generic medieval scenery should be featured as well I think.
  Maybe it's just me, but there are a few cool things out there - Sukhe_Bator's Sept of the Seven and his Weirwood tree come to mind first. AND, I wouldn't mind a list of good building/scenery reviews.

As for names, how does "Wargaming In Westeros" sound? "League Of Westeros Wargamers"?
I prefer those to my idea-starters...

Thanks for being the first to weigh in and now let's see how others respond!

Offline Fates Fickle Finger

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 11:18:32 PM »
I am a 5  :-* :D :)

FFF

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 11:25:41 PM »
I'm broadly a 5 - although it does sound a bit complicated!

I suppose all of which minor reservations make me a 4  :D

Thanks for taking this on Wade.

Valar Morghulis.

Adaptive thinking: Agree with streamlining, keeping simple, starting with index of LAFer threads. Agree is heraldry is problematic. Ideally it should be embedded images in the first page of it's own thread with that thread linked in the Compendium sticky.

We'll give it another day for others to opine and I'll post v1.0. I'll start gathering linky-dinks in a Word doc saved off line so I can more quicky cut and past into the forum prototype.

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 09:47:02 AM »
I suppose I am a 4, not because of any major issues with what folks want to do but simply because I'm one of those cats that instinctively tries to shake off any attempt at being herded.  :D

I think it's great that effort is being put in to draw together links to the various threads across a number of boards, so well done - especially to Wade - for the effort being and to be made.  8)

My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 10:15:32 AM »
I would be a 5 too.
Just tell us how we can help to bring it all together
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 11:19:39 AM »
I'm a 5 too :D :-*
I agree with the good Cpn that we should perhaps not exclude the wider world of GRRM by referring to it simply as 'Westeros'
I'm a bit of an old fogie when it comes to all this interweb stuff. I have enough trouble posting photos, so I share Cp'n Blood's thoughts that it sounds a little complicated. I'm sure it will shake down well enough though. Just let me know how I can help ...

Well done Wade for agreeing to take this on!
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 11:39:05 AM »
"Wargaming in Westeros and beyond"?

"Wargaming in the Seven Kingdoms and beyond"?

"Wargaming in a world of ice and fire"?

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 08:49:23 PM »
I think you missed Charlies tread in the other thread ;)

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 09:09:06 PM »
I think you missed Charlies tread in the other thread ;)

Thank you!!!

He notified me!  :'(

FIXED!

Offline Faber

• Mastermind
  • onnivorous painter
    • Faber Ambitious Mordheim Project
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 11:23:40 PM »
5 for me too!
Lovely idea.  :-*

I have to change the horrible title of my GoT thread though  ::)

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 11:34:32 PM »
I have to change the horrible title of my GoT thread though  ::)

Seeing them all together in a list, I suspect you're not the only one coming to that realization.  lol