Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:01:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Another proud dad and his padawan  (Read 2923 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Another proud dad and his padawan
« on: February 22, 2016, 09:46:00 AM »
There already have been a few threads of late, with proud dads showing off their offspring's tentative first steps in the hobby, but I could not help myself to do the same after this weekend.

Normally, I paint in the evenings, when my 2.5 year old is sound asleep (or makes sound when she should be asleep ::) ), but every now and then, I find some time to pick up a brush when she's up and running around.

The past couple of months, the little princess has been very interested in seeing what I'm doing, and regularly pushes a chair up, to sit and watch how daddy paints 'dollies and airplanes'. So, yesterday, maybe inspired by those other threads, when she sidled up her chair to mine again, I asked her if she would like to paint as well.

Obviously, the answer was a very enthousiastic 'yes!'. So I broke out her painting apron, an old cutting mat, some old brushes and a couple of minis I would not miss; some EM4 orks and a couple of badly painted old space marines I got as side products when buying entire lots.

I let her pick out a colour, squeezed a bit on a palette and let her go to town. At first, I gave her some pointers and just proudly watched her attack her first miniature with both utter concentration and enthousiasm. But pretty soon, she directed me to paint as well ('you too!'), and we had a very fun hour or so, of painting together.

In that hour, I did some inking and blocking on one mini, but she managed to coat no less than 5 minis in a dizzying array of bright colours (pink was in there, obviously). I was really amazed at how concentrated she was throughout (I had to tell her it was time to stop).

It's obvious she has been observing me really well the last months, as she's already pretty adept with her brush, very gingerly dipping it into the paint on the palette (even though she then really mauled those poor brushes on the minis to get into the crevices lol ).

From now on I will have to start guarding my paints, brushes and minis as thoroughly as I already do my knives and files, because now she knows the way around my desk. And I fear she might otherwise, in an unguarded moment, lavish her artistic administrations on the poor, not-so-redundant miniatures on my desk... ;)

At any rate; the indoctrination process has begun! lol
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
Re: Another proud dad and his padawan
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 10:43:23 AM »
A great start.... my twins of the same age are quite happy doodling on paper and have not yet discovered Daddy's cavern full of paints and models as it is such a cluttered mess we keep it behind locked doors, lest we loose one of them inthere!  :D

Nice to see such a enthusiastic minion :)
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 10:46:32 AM »
Very nice! My little one was telling me yesterday that I´ve "got to paint those girls, because they´re all naked" - well, they were already painted...  :D

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 11:47:32 AM »
You are making a good job with your padawan. The Force will be strong with this one! :)

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 07:40:52 PM »
Just great to read this!.....and Michi  lol lol lol lol
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Gracchus Armisurplus

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 01:17:40 AM »
Brilliant! I had a sort of similar incident a few days ago.

I woke up to find my three-year-old sitting at my painting desk, brush in hand, paints open, and industriously painting away... at some of the projects I'd been chipping away at over the last few months. The Bandai R2D2 was ruined (and it was SO CLOSE to being finished!) and a handful of 1/72 Gauls as well.

On the one hand I was very frustrated, on the other hand her brush control and care in using the paints was admirable. A very mixed bag of emotions. Needless to say the paints now are locked away at night!

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 08:40:33 AM »
A bit of practice and we should get the kids together and form a bit of a production line.
Just remember any marines painted in the colours of the emperors Pinkettes should be yours
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 01:17:34 PM »
Needless to say the paints now are locked away at night!

Good call; I should probably start doing the same... ::)

A bit of practice and we should get the kids together and form a bit of a production line.
Just remember any marines painted in the colours of the emperors Pinkettes should be yours

lol  Great idea. And that should be the Emperor's Tantrum Marines btw...  ;D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 01:22:26 PM by Daeothar »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 06:17:05 PM »
Heartwarming!

How old is the little princess?  I'm looking forward to my son being able to paint with me.  Yesterday he assembled his first LEGO kit with almost no help from me, so the day might not be far off...

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 07:27:33 AM »
She's still a bit young to be painting really; she's 2 and a half years old right now.

But her enthusiasm is awesome to see. We'll probably have another session next weekend; she's been asking again...  8)

Get 'em while they're young!  :D

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 01:31:25 PM »
She's still a bit young to be painting really; she's 2 and a half years old right now.

Wow, I guess I better get started!