Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:10:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690930
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Genestealer hybrid recast?  (Read 4478 times)

Offline Maledrakh

• Librarian
    • At the Mountains of Minis
Re: Genestealer hybrid recast?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 11:45:04 AM »
After seeing the stock on offer, I would be surprised if these are not recasts. As was earlier pointed out, there is a suspiciously similar quality/ colour of metal across all the pictures, no traces of stripping, multiples of the same mini, and only this quality of mini on offer. No old collections, no built or painted minis, just the bare metals.

Offline RAD

• Librarian
  • "If it doesn't hurt, it doesn't count"The Redeemer
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 11:53:16 AM »
Hard to tell really but in the early nineties the mail order offered quite various RT out of the current catalogue with former plastic arms cast in metal (white metal). I've bought an entire RT imperial guard army with those, so i'd guess they could have done the same with hybrids...

Offline Legiocustodes

• Scientist
  • Old school gamer since 1990!
    • Oldhammer 40k
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2016, 09:28:25 PM »
Definitely recasts.

Detail lacks depth; prominent flash; tab....

I've been stung before and am now very wary!
Check out my blog for all things 30k, 40k, Oldhammer and tutorials:
http://classicastartes.blogspot.co.uk

Offline dieselmonkey

• Assistant
    • Port Imperiale Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 08:46:22 AM »
As far as I know, the hybrid arms were never released in metal. So I would find it quite a find if these were real.

Yes, they were. When the Mail Order 'Bitz' Service finally ran out of plastic arms for IG, Squats and GS Hybrids in the mid-late 90's, they had all the plastic arms cast up in metal.

It wouldn't surprise me if these were real, as if they were bought from MO in the late 90's, they'd have metal arms *and* the moulds would be absolutely shot, hence the crappy cast quality in Lead Free metal.
My Rogue Trader/WFB blog thingy: http://port-imperiale.blogspot.com

Offline audrey

• Scientist
    • My Oubliette
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 04:12:33 PM »
Unfortunately on eBay sellers can take pictures to hide that it is a recast. The small messed up tab is a giveaway (like others mentioned). I bought some Sisters of Battle off eBay and when they arrived I immediately knew they were a recast because of how thin the figures were. I was lucky and got my money refunded. But here is a picture.

-Audrey
Mistress of slayage

My Oubliette:
http://audreysoubliette.wordpress.com

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2016, 05:34:31 PM »
Comparing two different figures from either end of the range's chronology isn't a fair test, though the leg on the right mini does look a bit iffy.

As I've already said GW put some terrible casts out when they went Mail Order only. I've certainly had crappy slotta tabs direct from GW Mail Order.

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2016, 05:57:00 PM »
Unfortunately on eBay sellers can take pictures to hide that it is a recast. The small messed up tab is a giveaway (like others mentioned). I bought some Sisters of Battle off eBay and when they arrived I immediately knew they were a recast because of how thin the figures were. I was lucky and got my money refunded. But here is a picture.

<snip>

-Audrey

Wow, that's a bad recast. I've bought quite a few off people and I've never seen anything that bad.

And, honestly, most people will give you refunds as long as you return their stock. As the 1d4chan page says, "They're more interested in ripping off Games Workshop than ripping off you."

Also, what Wachaza said. I've had some REALLY bad miniatures from Privateer Press.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2016, 08:19:00 PM »
I've got my purestrains from Mailorder in the late 1990's I believe and they came with metal arms and claws. All cast in white metal in old moulds. Also the Goodwin Magii and hybrids with detail definately not perfect anymore at the time. Still good enough but not as crisp as they should be.
In the same period I got some other chaos and skaven models, same white metal cast in old moulds with some details lost.

Just to say that the quality above is no proof of recasting, imho.
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2016, 09:58:54 PM »
Most of the miniatures he is selling has perfectly fine tabs and also some a clearly stripped.