Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:29:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Genestealer hybrid recast?  (Read 4479 times)

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
Re: Genestealer hybrid recast?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 11:09:50 PM »
Honestly, it's impossible to tell.

Some things to note:
1. Metal recasts are VERY rare, at least from major recasters. Small scale ones may prefer them, but they're still rarer than some cheap resin.
2. This guy moves a lot of OOP Warhammer stock. Literally ALL OOP Warhammer Fantasy / 40k stuff, and he's done over 650 transactions.
3. These look to be perfect quality, without any damage or marks from removal of paint.
3a. Despite this, they are not NIB.
4. The stock he moves seems to be varied, but I've flicked through and seen a few of the same item (Nurgle Palanquin #1) being sold a few times which is very suspicious.
5. If they are recasts, they're PERFECT recasts, so who cares?

I'd say there's about a 90% chance of these being recasts but he's probably buying them from someone. I'd really like to find out who.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 11:22:22 PM »
As far as I know, the hybrid arms were never released in metal. So I would find it quite a find if these were real.

But he's got not just this one, but many up for auction right now, which is a major flag to me. I could be wrong, but what are the odds of him having 17 hybrids up for sale, with all of them with exactly the same sets of arms (in metal!), and all of them in the same state? The metal quality and colour is exactly the same on all of them, which I find a bit odd as well and not what I'd expect after two decades...  :?
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline harleyface

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 11:58:39 PM »
Can only say my opinion..
Have a lot of experience with battletech unseen recasts...bad ones
Good thing..recast are often selled painted to hide poor quality
This one is good quality..but i think it is a recast.
Like said the arms were never available in metal...
The peg
The other offers..
Would never buy it...
My opinion

Cultist#83

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 05:16:46 AM »
I agree that the excelent condition of the minis is suspicious, but I do believe the arms were available in metal at some point.  I have at least two metal hybrid figures that have the duel arm/claw combo.  Here's a link to a site that has some info on the old metal figs:

http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Genestealers_(First_Edition)_-_Collectors_Guide

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 06:43:10 AM »
The tab at the bottom is bit of a giveaway,surely?

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 08:03:20 AM »
GW released some terrible casts at various stages. The metal arms are  unusual but were sent out when GW didn't bother getting another run of the plastic sprues done when they were selling hybrids only through mail order. Without handling it it's impossible to say if it's a recast or not.

Offline harleyface

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 08:17:43 AM »
Didnt know rhose arms were available in metal....
But so many oop minis in new condition....well its possible...we are all collectors
But sentences like...
You buy what you see without more information is tipycal...
Collectors normaly write what they got..
Its like avoidig false facts..
Like i said im burned because of battletech unseens....

Offline harleyface

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 08:24:56 AM »
And he has a lot of hybrids all wuth metal arms..
None with the more popular plastic..

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 08:50:12 AM »
GW released some terrible casts at various stages. The metal arms are  unusual but were sent out when GW didn't bother getting another run of the plastic sprues done when they were selling hybrids only through mail order. Without handling it it's impossible to say if it's a recast or not.

Be that as it may, when looking at the different sets of arms he has up with his minis, I noticed that the claw arms all have the same damage to the forearm (a cut/gash near the top of the vambrace), something not present in the plastic version or in the pictures of them on CCM.

And that points to all of his having the same original, which would support the theory of these being recast...  :?

Offline Penchour

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 08:50:48 AM »
Bought several times from the seller, and always had regular stripped miniatures. That said, I never saw metal arms on Genestealers ...

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 09:03:49 AM »
Have a look at his completed listings. All very different stuff. Looks like someone disposing of a collection.

Were I in the recasting "business" I wouldn't waste my time on what he's selling. Recasters typically do valuable things like the skulz mechanicus and keep selling the same lots of minis over and over.

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 09:25:48 AM »
Asked around on some of the recasting places. Half of them said, "Definitely recasts" and half of them said, "No way of knowing".

Be that as it may, when looking at the different sets of arms he has up with his minis, I noticed that the claw arms all have the same damage to the forearm (a cut/gash near the top of the vambrace), something not present in the plastic version or in the pictures of them on CCM.

And that points to all of his having the same original, which would support the theory of these being recast...  :?

So you can see what Daeothar is saying:

Were I in the recasting "business" I wouldn't waste my time on what he's selling. Recasters typically do valuable things like the skulz mechanicus and keep selling the same lots of minis over and over.

I flicked through his sold list. He's got three of the same things (stuff like having two seated patriarchs and about three walking patriarchs) sold.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 10:16:12 AM »
Sells a lot of very rare stuff. In light of these looking highly suspect, you've really got to question the other stuff he is selling.

You never know though, perhaps he has got some genuine metal arms, a whole lot of them and wanted to save time photographing them by using the same ones over and over. Doubtful.

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 11:23:42 AM »
Recast

I've got one of the originals of that hybrid, and apart from the metal arms, there is less depth around the face under the hood. The original has clear crisp contrast. This one doesn't. I know Genestealers are back in vogue now, but its a strange time to be selling recasts. The new plastic hybrids are coming up resonably cheap from people splitting up Overkill.