Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:56:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Callum and Grandad's Middle Earth Armies - Uruk Hai  (Read 2179 times)

Online dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
Callum and Grandad's Middle Earth Armies - Uruk Hai
« on: March 20, 2016, 04:51:21 PM »
A while ago I started on the main Lord of the Rings Armies for Callum and Grandad to play games in Middle Earth.  Most of the models came from the "Battle Games in Middle Earth" magazine that came out years ago and I put away in a box as a retirement project.  I have always liked the story and I am fairly sure that I still have some of the really old Minifigs figures in a box in the attic.  Callum has seen the films on DVD and likes them (the battles mainly).  

Anyway, I have started out on my long delayed Lord of the Rings project only to find that most of the figures are no longer made so my box of figures has been reinforced by several purchases and swops for second hand figures.  First up are the Uruk Hai now increased to a sizeable army.

The Command - Saruman, Ugluk, Lurtz and Gorbag amongst others:

The Core of the army lies in 3 warbands of Pikemen - note that there are no figures with levelled pikes (more on that later)

The Pike command - all converted plastic figures, the captain has an old Citadel Chaos shield and the drum is the top part of a Biro pen cap and his drumsticks are pins with a blob of superglue on the end.

Pikemen

The main support troops are the swordsmen:

Crossbowmen make up the missile troops and these were hard and very expensive.  So I decided on conversions, the first warband was made from the pikemen with levelled pikes and Gripping Beast metal crossbows, the second warband again used more pikemen with levelled pikes and various crossbow arms from plastic medieval figures bought on the internet.  The pikemen with levelled pikes were chosen because they were easier to convert.

Out in front of the army are the Scouts

And last but not least - the Sappers.

Still to come are a few more conversions to make a Shaman and another couple of captains/characters.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 06:04:36 PM by dadlamassu »
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
Re: Callum and Grandad's Middle Earth Armies - Uruk Hai
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 04:51:05 PM »
Very nice!  I like the standards, especially the white hand on the blood-red background.  And it the Chaos shield is a nice touch :)
Now what is this whole life of mortals but a sort of comedy, in which the various actors, disguised by various costumes and masks, walk on and play each one his part, until the manager waves them off the stage?

http://stokefield.blogspot.com/

http://wellrallyonceagain.blogspot.com/

Offline nils

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 09:08:31 PM »
very nice
im dooing the same with my boy
the drumer conversion is cool
we will use the dragon rampant rules
what rules will you use?

Online dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 11:22:14 PM »
very nice
im dooing the same with my boy
the drumer conversion is cool
we will use the dragon rampant rules
what rules will you use?

The Drummer was one of the easy conversions.  The left arm came from a pikeman's left over arm, the drum was from the top of a Biro, drumsticks from pins, paper drum skin.   

At the moment we are using the blue Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game because they are almost the same as the rules in the magazines and I had them already.  And  I got the A-5 booklet included in an e-bay purchase.  They are simple and give a reasonable game.