Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:12:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Iron Cross game WWII  (Read 1967 times)

Offline nevermore

• Mastermind
    • http://www.victorian-steel.com/
Iron Cross game WWII
« on: April 05, 2016, 08:57:47 AM »
Iron Cross game WWII

More photos on the website at http://www.victorian-steel.com/

This was our first game of Iron Cross, we started small! 30 units a side and what a great ruleset it is. The bulk of the game centres around spending your command points and the skill is knowing when to pass the initiative to your opponent and when to interrupt the opponents move.

image hosting over 10mb

screen shot

We set our game in the western desert, with the axis forces tasked with defending a town and the British and commonwealth forces having two objectives to capture the oasis and to clear the town. This was always going to be difficult as both sides had equal forces (in numbers at least)

free image host

image hosting 5mb

free upload pictures

upload img

The game commenced with the British having the initiative and making reasonable progress, with their right flank taking on the Italians who were supported by some Mark III’s. This developed into a real slugfest with a cat and mouse approach being changed to outand out attack by Lenlater on in the game.

photo upload

In the British centre and left the commander decided to eliminate the anti -tank screen before advancing in a final charge.
The result was a draw with the Germans holding the town but the British capturing the oasis.

how to take a screen shot

We really liked the decision making element of this rule system it is not IGO-UGO but a simple to operate but hard to master system where the non -initiative player can interrupt the other sides flow 3+ to succeed and on a roll of a 6 captures the initiative back. Each tank or squad acts independently and the more tasks given them or damage inflicted the harder it becomes to carry things out.

There are no range restrictions apart from for panzerfaust type weapons, and firing is elegantly simple relying on a D10 roll
There are no melee rules and the whole system has a flow and logic to it. We have made one change to the rules making troops in cover 1 pip harder to hit and are looking forward to getting the Soviets and German 28mms out for a spot of urban warfare.

We just need to finish the town boards, so give us a week or two.
This game was played at the Victorian Outpost, the newest and only custom built Wargames Venue in Grimsby, where you are guaranteed a friendly welcome and a wargame played in the spirit of fun rather than a re-run of the Monty Python argument sketch. (You know who you are! ) Contact nevermore if you fancy a game. Our group of 11 can cater for most periods and genres.
The Victorian Outpost

Its a new gaming place in Grimsby with new terrain and new scenery, lots of respect for all wargamers and is the best place to game in town.

Anybody who wishes to visit the venue to arrange a game then  just pm me and lets roll those dice.

http://www.victorian-steel.co

Offline Tim

• Librarian
Re: Iron Cross game WWII
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 11:48:38 AM »
These pictures are really nice.

I couldn't access any photos on the site, there was just a list of games with your iron cross game at the top.  There was a link to sign in or register, but I did not want to do that.  However there was a description of the game and I was very interested in the description of Iron Cross.

Am I right in thinking the models here are 15mm?  It's a really lovely table making a desert interesting and the tanks, guns, and figures are really worth a good look.

Thanks for this.

The Victorian Outpost is "the newest and only custom built Wargames Venue in Grimsby".  Does this mean it's a store?  And what's wrong with Monty Python anyway, you heathen!!!  :)

--
Tim

Offline nevermore

• Mastermind
    • http://www.victorian-steel.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 12:05:27 PM »
Should work, just click at the top "Victorian Gallery" this should take you to 77 battles of pics, just click any battle you want and view as slide show, just been on it myself seems everything is fine, cheers for the comment.

The place itself is a brand new wargame center, i will get some photos up soon of the place, no membership fee and free wargaming when you please, just arrange and work it round people and people seem to turn up and be happy to wargame, kind of functions better that way as work tends to hit most people.

Offline dhtandco

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 12:25:35 AM »
Yes it is based at my home,29 square metres of wargaming heaven double if you count the loft storage area!
We are building up the scenery boards and it is certainly not a store, or a commercial enterprise of any sort just a bunch of hardcore wargamers who want to be able to play great games on great terrain using great figures in quantity.There are eleven of us including the owners of Hovels and Adrian's Walls both based in Grimsby. Also Nevermore of forum fame who plays a big part in our scenery and figure output

The Monty Python sketch is great it is also uncannily like some of the scenes I have witnessed in my recent wargaming past

Never mind where we are now we have THE Comfy chair........nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!

Offline dhtandco

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 12:31:38 AM »
They are 20 mm models not 15' s.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 10:50:10 PM »
Great looking game. I've enjoyed playing this as well - looking forward to the desert war supplement.

Offline Cecil Gaybody

• Librarian
  • "attack from both directions" Maximus
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 10:51:45 PM »
Dear Boy,
What fun you must be having. A very nice set up.
I will buy a copy at Salute and look forward to this progressive inter action they provide.

Keep it up
Cecil
"Join me in Celebrating Diversity, fulfilment and pleasure "
              Oscar Wilde