Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:52:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690962
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How to scale up decal sheets?  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
How to scale up decal sheets?
« on: April 05, 2016, 11:55:59 AM »
The title says it!
I am in the lucky position to have bought a 1/50 scale airliner from a travel agency, that I look forward to upgrade wit a landing gear and (since it is completely without paint and markings) with a new livery for great modern 28mm action on the tabletop.
It would be hard to paint every single window and lettering. Regretfully I have no idea how to make decals, but I am aware that there is a 1/72 decal sheet for the particular plane that I could buy. Perhaps somebody on here does know how to scale up and print such on blank decal sheet or could even do it for me.

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
Re: How to scale up decal sheets?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 01:53:14 PM »
You would need to scan it in the highest res that you can. Increase the size to what you need and then reprint them. You might lose some detail due to the scan and image scaling though.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 05:00:34 PM »
I have no idea about the transfers but please, please, please post photos of the plane  ;D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 06:50:32 PM »
I have no idea about the transfers but please, please, please post photos of the plane  ;D

cheers

James

I will, as soon as I start work on it after the current LPL. Itīs a Boeing 737...  :D

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 06:57:18 PM »
The title says it!
I am in the lucky position to have bought a 1/50 scale airliner from a travel agency, that I look forward to upgrade wit a landing gear and (since it is completely without paint and markings) with a new livery for great modern 28mm action on the tabletop.
It would be hard to paint every single window and lettering. Regretfully I have no idea how to make decals, but I am aware that there is a 1/72 decal sheet for the particular plane that I could buy. Perhaps somebody on here does know how to scale up and print such on blank decal sheet or could even do it for me.

You'll possibly have to do a vector version of the design, split it up (since DIY decal sheets usually only come in DIN A4, max, or some colonial nonsense format like Letter or Legal ;) ). The printing part is usually the easiest - get a high-resolution inkjet printer, print the design, seal with gloss varnish and apply.

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 03:42:56 AM »
It may be easier to just do a high res scan, then auto trace in a vector program.

Alternately you can just redraw the windows/decals and then print out on decal paper.  If you need to print white, you can pop onto our website to ask for a quote since we do this stuff all the time for clients and individuals.  It's actually about the same cost as buying the paper yourself and trying to print it  :) 

I can usually draw up a sheet of decals in a hour or less.

Brent
Company B
Decal Request Form:
http://company-b-models-and-miniatures.myshopify.com/pages/custom-decal-design

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 06:12:00 AM »
Thank you Chris. This sounds good but technically challenging to me...

It may be easier to just do a high res scan, then auto trace in a vector program.

Alternately you can just redraw the windows/decals and then print out on decal paper.  If you need to print white, you can pop onto our website to ask for a quote since we do this stuff all the time for clients and individuals.  It's actually about the same cost as buying the paper yourself and trying to print it  :) 

I can usually draw up a sheet of decals in a hour or less.

Brent
Company B
Decal Request Form:
http://company-b-models-and-miniatures.myshopify.com/pages/custom-decal-design

Thank you Brent, most helpful! I suppose this will be my way. :D

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 12:24:06 PM »
Thank you Chris. This sounds good but technically challenging to me...

I'd be happy to create some of the basic elements like windows, doors and the like if you can provide some measurements. Drop me a PM and we'll see what we can do.

More complex shapes (hull striping and the like) may be tricky. If you've got a pic of the original plane livery I might be able to be more specific.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 02:10:52 PM »
I'd be happy to create some of the basic elements like windows, doors and the like if you can provide some measurements. Drop me a PM and we'll see what we can do.

More complex shapes (hull striping and the like) may be tricky. If you've got a pic of the original plane livery I might be able to be more specific.

PMed!  ;)