Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:47:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691114
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sneaking my love of games into conceptual art, one show at a time.  (Read 1044 times)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Evening all!
I've been lucky enough to have got my work into two separate shows this month, and it occurred to me that since both of them use gaming as a point of reference, i figured some of you might be interested :)

(For some clarity, I have a strong interest in romanticism and the idea of the sublime terrifying landscape, giving scale and grounding to human existence.
After my tutor asked what i was doing with the toy soldiers on my desk between making work we got into a conversation about the possible links between gaming and the idea of scale and indomitably in landscape.
Essentially what i'm working with in the works here is the idea of gaming viewed in context, not isolated from the external world, and acting as a metaphor for the true scale of human activity and constructions in the face of the vastness of existence.) (Yes I know it sounds awful, imagine how it feels thinking it!)

ANYWAY, it;s a sin to write about art without pictures, so i hope this might give someone some ideas, either for scenery construction or just a fun way to game in future.

This second work is in a show this coming weekend, and consists of 40 game pieces made from soil which i will be playing with and slowly destroying throughout the day, using a simple rule system I wrote up to try and simulate long form change like geological movement or the rise and fall of civilizations.

http://parksixteen.wix.com/home#nic-evans/rqpk3

Anyway, i hope i haven't bored you all and i hope more that what I've written isn't the most pretentious thing you'll read this month.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 11:42:22 PM by nic-e »
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Sneaking my love of games into conceptual art, one show at a time.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 11:33:38 PM »
I think it has been the most pretentious thing I've read in the last few weeks ;), but it has been refreshing (if art doesn't make you think then it isn't art).

PS You'll need to fix the url (using "[url]" tags), as the "!" breaks the auto-urling.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Re: Sneaking my love of games into conceptual art, one show at a time.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 11:43:16 PM »
I think it has been the most pretentious thing I've read in the last few weeks ;), but it has been refreshing (if art doesn't make you think then it isn't art).

PS You'll need to fix the url (using "[url]" tags), as the "!" breaks the auto-urling.

Url fixed.

Well i suppose i can at least take that as an achievement :D!