Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:45:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Perry ECW for Thirty Years War?  (Read 1983 times)

Offline Parrot

• Librarian
Perry ECW for Thirty Years War?
« on: April 26, 2016, 03:14:01 PM »
Would the perry line of English civil war minis serve well as thirty years war troops?  I have some warlord troops, but would like to a some different manufacturers into the mix.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
Re: Perry ECW for Thirty Years War?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 03:24:07 PM »
Don't see why not... The Swedes would have more buff coats, but a lot of the Imperial troops would have more armoured pike (at least in the front ranks). European helmet variants like a single bar nasal zischagge were more popular abroad, but many civic armouries like Graz accumulated armour of all different types and periods. Such was the demand for kit that many regiments used older armour styles... 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styrian_Armoury
https://www.graztourismus.at/en/see-and-do/sightseeing/sights/armoury_sh-1200
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 03:52:20 PM »
Just be aware that the Perry figures are on the small side compared to most modern '28mm' ranges.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 03:53:39 PM »
You could use the Perry Ecw range for the Thirty Years war but you might be better off looking at The Assault Groups Thirty Years War range, with dedicated Germans, Swedes and more, although Warlord, TAG and Perry miniatures all have stylistic differences.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 04:32:11 PM »
I use some Perry ECW as TYW. There are, however, issues. I suspect that how serious these issues are depends upon when during the TYW you are interested in.  The 3-bar lobster helmet was only worn in England, so is unsuitable for the TYW. If you are interested in the earlier part of the TYW then I believe that then musketeers would have carried rests, pikemen would have tended to wear armour and cavalry would have mainly consisted of pistol-armed cuirassiers or carbine-armed harquebusiers.

The Perry infantry figures don't make good Swedes of the Gustavus campaigns because then Swedish musketeers wore helmets and carried rests and all Swedish infantry wore a coat coming down to the mid-thigh - ie, noticeably longer than the coats worn by the Perry figures.

I've been involved in discussions about which range has the most accurate Swedes for the Gustavus campaigns. The answer may be First Corps. Assault Group make a range of TYW Swedes and they look like nice figures but they don't seem to be as accurate historically as other elements of their TYW range.

The best ranges designed for the TYW are, imho, those of Assault Group and Bohemian Troops. As I have said, however, there are issues with Assault Group's Swedes (nice figures though they are) and Bohemian troops does not make Swedes.

I hope this helps. 

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 10:29:09 PM »
I use some Perry ECW as TYW. There are, however, issues. I suspect that how serious these issues are depends upon when during the TYW you are interested in.  The 3-bar lobster helmet was only worn in England, so is unsuitable for the TYW. If you are interested in the earlier part of the TYW then I believe that then musketeers would have carried rests, pikemen would have tended to wear armour and cavalry would have mainly consisted of pistol-armed cuirassiers or carbine-armed harquebusiers.

The Perry infantry figures don't make good Swedes of the Gustavus campaigns because then Swedish musketeers wore helmets and carried rests and all Swedish infantry wore a coat coming down to the mid-thigh - ie, noticeably longer than the coats worn by the Perry figures.

I've been involved in discussions about which range has the most accurate Swedes for the Gustavus campaigns. The answer may be First Corps. Assault Group make a range of TYW Swedes and they look like nice figures but they don't seem to be as accurate historically as other elements of their TYW range.

The best ranges designed for the TYW are, imho, those of Assault Group and Bohemian Troops. As I have said, however, there are issues with Assault Group's Swedes (nice figures though they are) and Bohemian troops does not make Swedes.

I hope this helps.  

What Paul said about the period the 30YW that you want to re create.

Warfare and equipment changed drastically between the Gustavus period in the early 1630's and the Turenne / Conde / Mercy period in the 1640's. Musket rests were phased out, as were full suits of armour for cavalry. The earlier distinction between harquebusiers and cuirassiers ended and cavalry became just "horse" in back and breasts and buff coats.

So Perry are in fact accurate for the 1640's and not accurate for Gustavus, Tilly and Wallenstein's wars.

I am not sure I agree with Paul about the 3 bar pots not being used outside the UK. I am sure I have seen photos of them being used by French and Swedish troops and there would seem to be no logical reason why they wouldn't be used.

Offline nelsons-signal

• Bookworm
  • "engage the enemy more closely"
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 09:06:17 PM »
Hi,

I use  Old Glory Miniatures, Foundry and The Assault Group - the largest possible selection of figure types ...

Perrys are a bit too small ... 

About the helmets and coats of the swedish I'm not sure if this was still carried 1631...
"Dortmund Amateur Wargamers"