Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:50:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: the road to felstad  (Read 3823 times)

Offline mrhytl

• Assistant
the road to felstad
« on: May 03, 2016, 09:14:41 AM »
yes, i have been drawn into frostgrave... and have since assembled and painted quite a bit of miniatures and terrain - which i'd like to share here in the coming weeks. to start off, some pictures of the warbands and wizards i've painted so far - or, to be a little more precise, up to ten days ago. i'll take pics of the new additions soon and give an overview of the terrain i've built so far.

stay tuned, fellow adventurers!

[and please excuse the typos every here and there, i have managed to injure my left hand yesterday while playing basketball... three fingers less to type properly...]

my first man-at-arms and one of the warhounds (reaper guard dog)

my marksman (fireforge) and green arrow... ehrm, archer.

two infantrymen - which have not yet seen any table time.

two thugs

my very successful treasure hunter (otherworld minis human thief)

two thieves (standard frostgrave mini + reaper kneeling assassin)

3 apothecaries (fitting their wizards, 2 frostgrave minis + misan the clairvoyant, confrontation)

the captain (captain durak, confrontation)

wizard and apprentice 1 (LOTR saruman + reaper's drake whiteraven)

wizard and apprentice 2 (both confrontation, iream, cadwallon noble and vladar the arrogant)

wizard and apprentice 3 - let's face it, necromancer & apprentice... (reaper's darkrasp and aglanda)

and of course: treasure tokens, including a crstal skull and some books for my upcoming sigilist warband...

more to come soon, feel free to c&c!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 04:00:55 PM by mrhytl »

Offline Tordenskjold

• Librarian
Re: the road to felstad
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 09:44:13 AM »
Good stuff! I especially like the shield designs. Also the hound in the first picture is just fantastic! Whose a good doggie?  :D

How did you do the flames on the torch? I'm abut to paint sme fire effects myself and am looking for tips and tricks  :)

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 10:08:50 AM »
Very nice - bravo!

Offline mrhytl

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 11:21:03 AM »
thanks all, there's a summoner, his apprentice, their captain and two doggies almost done (all with a twist, admittedly), more pics soon.

How did you do the flames on the torch? I'm abut to paint sme fire effects myself and am looking for tips and tricks  :)

i base flames with a layer of a light, blueish grey, like GW's celestra or vallejo's ghost grey.
on top of that, apply a rather wet drybrush of a bright yellow (GW sunburst yellow / vallejo moon yellow).
on top of that, a drybrush with a little darker yellow (GW / vallejo golden yellow), followed by a drybrush of oranges (i use vallejo orange fire first, then heavy orange).
now it's time for some yellow ink (privateerpress' is my weapon of choice) on the lower part of the flames.
after ink has dried, two layers of red drybrushing (brighter red to darker red) towards the top of the torch / flame.
and to top it all off, i use the tiniest bit of black to accentuate the outmost parts of the flame to imitate some smoke emitting from the flames. if you can still see some of the base grey, wash it ever so gently with some dark wash, preferably a black one.

and that's it!

having to cope with a tremor since the mid-1990s, i have learned to drybrush a lot of stuff since my hand does a lot of the work by itself ;)

Offline Roberticus

• Student
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 05:31:22 PM »
Very nicely Done!!  But I gotta say I was expecting a new Crosby/Hope/Lamour movie based on the subject line. (100 Experience Points to anyone that gets the reference!)

Offline mrhytl

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 06:07:11 PM »
easy... "the road to bali" :)

Offline mrhytl

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 09:37:17 AM »
back to felstad! i've been busy with multiple other things and projects since 2016 - but nonetheless, i'm back adventuring in the frozen city. and i've brought some new toys with me!

my sigilist and his apprentice (reaper hosila and otherworld male magic user v2) - they are already mid-campaign.

a summoner and his apprentice (reaper damien, hellborn wizard and d'khul, bathalian)

two elementalists (otherworld male magic user v1 and reaper nonalla ellinad, elf wizard)

my packing mule and my captain - both for the sigilist warband (otherworld scribe und mortheim aenur, sword of twilight)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 09:54:06 AM by mrhytl »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 11:54:09 AM »
really nice figs and colour-coded painting schemes.

Offline mrhytl

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 01:02:26 PM »
really nice figs and colour-coded painting schemes.

thanks!
but isn't that a thing? colour-coding your wizard and apprentice? the rest of the band can be used with other wizards, but i feel like the dynamic duo should look as if they belong together... maybe even the captains (at least that's what i do...)

Offline casual tea

• Bookworm
    • instagram.com/dlyanf
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 07:25:04 AM »
Welcome! What a cool variety of figures! I especially like your Elementalist + apprentice duo. I have been using some of the same confrontation models myself. Do you plan to make a wizard + apprentice duo for all the schools?

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 09:07:14 AM »
Very nice work! The colour scheme on each pair ties them together nicely.

Offline mrhytl

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 08:40:07 AM »
thanks everyone!

Do you plan to make a wizard + apprentice duo for all the schools?

yes, indeed. i have found some very nice models for the beastcrafters and am now looking for illusionist, chronomancer and soothsayer (especially since i have used saruman & whiteraven for my own voidalist school and iream and vladar as ferromancers). truth be told, i have far too many options for all of them, with a lot of red box minis still waiting for assembly and some paint and new reaper minis just coming in tomorrow...

in addition, i want to get my godsons (4 and 8) into playing frostgrave, so a lot of new soldiers will follow soon as i'll let them choose every part from the standard warrior and barbarian boxes (and some addons from fireforge minis and the such).

Offline mrhytl

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 07:19:44 AM »
and here they are in all their glory!

the master sigilist Serge le Savant and his apprentice Delphine la Demi-Savante lead the way while their captain Bray Bonefolder keeps the troops in line.