Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:58:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 661
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Upcoming Tanks - The World War Two Tank Skirmish Game Reviewed  (Read 10376 times)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Today we will check out the new Tanks, The World War Two Tank Skirmish Game - Panther vs Sherman Starter Set soon to be released from Gale Force Nine and Battlefront Miniatures of Flames of War fame! General release date is scheduled in later this month.

First of all a quick summary by Gale Force Nine themselves - Tanks, is an easy-to-learn, quick-play, small-scale game, where you take command of a tank platoon, seeking to destroy your opponent’s tanks and secure victory. Tanks is a flexible game with lots of ways to create a finely-tuned army that fits your play style. ... Sounds cool, well it's certainly interesting and great fun! Check the full review of the box content and gameplay here on Wargame News and Terrain (WN&T) and leave your questions, remarks here or on the blog. http://wargameterrain.blogspot.be/2016/05/gale-force-nine-tanks-world-war-two.html
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 08:26:43 PM by Belgian »
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
Re: Upcoming Tanks - The World War Two Tank Skirmish Game Reviewed
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 03:18:08 PM »
Have found it to be a fun little game, at a pleasingly cheap buy-in level.
 (& for those with existing FOW tanks - those still in resin, they'll be releasing the necessary stat cards to use them in the game.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 03:24:17 PM by Ballardian »

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 07:35:41 PM »
Can only confirm what you say, fun game and very affordable (and you can use existing tanks from your collection). Looking forward in playing some more games!

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 09:31:21 AM »
I only just discovered this exists. Like some around the interwebs say, looks like it's cashing in on the World of Tanks computer game - which is why I'm interested! A team of tanks in good old, proper gaming miniature form, not hobbled by campers, lemming trains, hill rushers, bots... ;D Good to hear you guys like it. I might just divert a bit of hobby funds.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 09:36:09 AM »
I think we had multiple people on the forum who were doing a girls und pantzer project, these rules might be the thing for them! Last I heard about this game people described it as X-wing mechanics but with tanks (like WoT) does that still stand?
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 01:41:45 PM »
YPU - While I wouldn't describe the mechanics as like X-Wing/Wings of Glory, (there's no 'reveal' of your movement choice to your opponent like those games) the games 'feel' is very much in that ballpark - a fast paced, 30 or so minute game (using the box forces - obviously the more tanks you add...) that has enough tactical complexity to be interesting while still being very much a 'beer & pretzels' game.
 Both the movement & shooting phases are very simple (you move one or two 'measuring sticks', & roll the number of dice shown on your card's shooting stat) but do effect one another - making it more or less likely that your shot will hit home if either you or your target moved (a nice touch that prevents it becoming too simplistic & forces you to make choices at each point of the game).
 So I'd recemmoend 'Tanks' if you're in the market for a a small scale, quick, fun game that you could perhaps describe as a 'filler' or 'warm up', but is certainly no worse for that & I'd recommend that you look at Belgian's in depth review.
   Hope thats helpful!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 04:46:25 PM »
Oh blast, now you all went and made me buy it.  :P

Just thinking aloud here - except that I'm typing, not thinking now, and it's not being done ALOUD - would this work (probably with altered measurements) with 1:35 scale models? Think carefully, because this might make me very happy  :D

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 06:22:14 PM »
Been watching the Girls und Panzer new film and it's rekindled my interest.  Would definitely be a simple fun way of doing it (particularly if I printed up my own cards for the high schools etc.).

Panzer vor! :D
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 06:48:42 PM »
Been watching the Girls und Panzer new film and it's rekindled my interest.  Would definitely be a simple fun way of doing it (particularly if I printed up my own cards for the high schools etc.).

Panzer vor! :D

Would work very well, if you decide to give it a go please post it on laf as I would be interested in seeing what you're doing!

Played a couple more games since the review and thoroughly enjoyed the game again. Fast paced, easy to learn and great fun. Actually the core rules can be modified for a whole array of possible settings (have been thinking mad max like vehicle warfare) and scales (have also been wondering if 28mm tank battles would be feasible), they are just so 'simple' and give a solid core for your own custom rules and units.

Offline Oldgamer

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 12:20:26 AM »
I have just ordered a copy, does anyone know what other tank cards are included in the set?

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 01:31:50 AM »
Vanvlak - 1/35! Ambitious- it'd work fine but I hope you've got a big table! (Why stop there, how about 1/16 & use the garden?)
Oldgamer - the core box comes wih quite a few tank stat cards;
Britain - Comet, Sherman V, Firefly & Cromwell
Germany - Panther, Jagdpanther, Panzer IV (ausf H) & StuG III (ausf G)
US - M26, 'Super Pershing', M4A3 75mm & 76mm (the kit also gives you the turrets to do both Sherman options, which is nice, but you have to choose one or other of the M26's. It also lets you make either a Panther or Jagdpanther, you could probably magnetise the hull tops on to do both though it'd be a little fiddly)
Soviet Union - T34 76 & 85, SU 85 & 100, ISU 122 & 152 & IS 2 or KV 85/IS 1
As previously mentioned, I believe the plan is to release stat cards for Battlefronts existing resin range, plus more character & crew cards at a later date.
 Hope that's helpful.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 10:33:37 AM by Ballardian »

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 05:56:13 AM »
Vanvlak - 1/35! Ambitious- it'd work fine but I hope you've got a big table! (Why stop there, how about 1/16 & use the garden?)
Oldgamer - the core box comes wih quite a few tank stat cards;
Britain - Comet, Sherman V, Firefly & Cromwell
Germany - Panther, Jagdpanther, Panzer IV (ausf H) & StuG III (ausf G)
US - M26, 'Super Pershing', M4A3 75mm & 76mm (the kit also gives you the turrets to do both Sherman options, which is nice, but you have to choose one or other of the M26's. It also lets you make either a Panther or Jagdpanther, you could probably magnetise the hull tops on to do both though it'd be a little fiddly)
Soviet Union - T34 76 & 85, SU 85 & 100, SU 122 & 152 & IS 2 or KV 85/IS 1
As previously mentioned, I believe the plan is to release stat cards for Battlefronts existing resin range, plus more character & crew cards at a later date.
 Hope that's helpful.
Very helpful, thak you.
1:35 Tamiya...that would be something.
I wouldn't use the garden for 1:16 - it's too small!(the garden, not the scale)

Offline Oldgamer

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 09:01:49 AM »
Palladian, many thanks, that is very helpful as l do not have any 15mms at all and l can now buy extra tanks  :)

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 10:46:23 AM »
Oldgamer, glad to be of help, but something to bear in mind is that the Battlefront models that they've packaged for Tanks are currently the only way of getting more of the character, crew & gear cards, (apart from the core box)until they release them seperately - & while this is supposed to be happening, there's currently no date set.
 One thing that I forgot earlier is that you will have to provide your own decals for the models, as BF don't in this case, also apologies to Belgian for hijacking his excellent thread.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 05:12:23 PM by Ballardian »

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 10:54:54 AM »
Saw it in an email from Caliver Books, they get my sixteen pounds forty-nine pee. Now, the wait.

Just thinking aloud here - except that I'm typing, not thinking now, and it's not being done ALOUD - would this work (probably with altered measurements) with 1:35 scale models? Think carefully, because this might make me very happy  :D

Wondering about 6mm, myself.

Eagerly awaiting the Churchill Gun Carrier...